• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

bolt stuck in carrier.

geistacwm

Gentleman.

Just bought my 10th armalite and ran into what im told is a common issue.

The bcg in question is early. Probably 2004 or older.

It seems there is a ridge in the inner channel and if the bolt is pushed too deep into the carrier, the gas rings stick on that channel.

The general consensus is brute force. A call to armalite confirmed this.

Well, after numerous attempts with a padded dowel, vice and hammer, ive had no luck. Though it turns freely, it won't come out.

Thinking the seller was aware of the issue.

Any ideas?

Put it to the press?

Edited by geistacwm

Hmm. Odd. For a common issue........I've never heard of it. Granted, I don't pretend to know everything........or anything for that matter.

Sounds like a hone job is in order. Otherwise.....it'll definitely happen again at some point.

Why did the firing pin have to be sacrificed? It wouldn't drop out after removing the retaining pin? Just curious.

I've run across this situation, on some DPMS type carriers where there is a relief cut behind the bore that the gas rings ride in - if, when assembling the bolt

into the carrier, you push the bolt in too far (past where the cam pin would allow) the gas rings will expand into the relieved area, retaining the bolt deeper

than where it would normally reside. When that happens, you typically can't install the cam pin and the remedy is to physically drive the bolt free which

normally destroys the gas rings

I can't believe Ron's Armalite had a failure...

I guess every week of manufacturing has a Friday. And even my beloved Armalite isn't immune to it. Even a machinist can have a fuked up day.

Though.....it still surprises me that this would've made it outta QC. But, I guess anything can happen

Edited by Rsquared

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a couple of months and the OP found a remedy to the problem but I just ran across the precautionary notice I

was looking for regarding the bolt stuck in the carrier condition:

http://www.surplusammo.com/saa-complete-308-bolt-carrier-group-nickel-boron/

it's the only vendor that I've seen acknowledge the possibility of that happening but, I've seen it happen with other brands,

you just have to be careful during assembly.

• 1 month later...

How can this be a new or unknown issue??  There is a warning on page 47 of the Armalite AR-10 owners manual that specifically warns you not to do this.....

"CAUTION:  ONLY INSERT THE BOLT INTO THE CARRIER FAR ENOUGH TO INSERT THE CAM PIN.  IF YOU INSERT THE BOLT TOO

DEEPLY WITHOUT THE CAM PIN IN PLACE, THE BOLT RING MAY JAM IN THE BACK OF THE CARRIER.  IF THIS HAPPENS, YOU MAY NEED TO WIGGLE THE BOLT TO REMOVE IT.  IN SOME CASES, IT MIGHT REQUIRE DRIVING THE BOLT FORWARD WITH A BRASS ROD, DESTROYING THE BOLT RING.  ONCE THE CAM PIN IS IN PLACE, THE BOLT CAN'T BE PUSHED FAR ENOUGH INTO THE CARRIER TO CAUSE A PROBLEM."

How can this be a new or unknown issue??  There is a warning on page 47 of the Armalite AR-10 owners manual that specifically warns you not to do this.....

It's not a new or unknown issue - it's just the first time you've seen mention of it on this board.

Welcome aboard, Newb.  <thumbsup>

The OP - who is not a "Big AR" new guy - even opened up his first post with this statement:

Gentleman.

Just bought my 10th armalite and ran into what im told is a common issue.

Glad you're here.

Carry on, now...