• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ares Armor Reduced Friction BCG

98Z5V

AR-15 part here.  What do you guys think of the idea of a "reduced friction" BCG?  Reducing the contact points of the BCG inside the upper receiver.  Anybody thought about picking this up?  Moreso, does anyone have this thing, or shot one yet?

I'm with Rob on this one. He's probably baiting us in. Just waiting for the attempts at ball bustin.

That's ok though. We'll find something else to kick him in the balls about. <nutkick> <laughs>

I should have waited ONE more minute...   <lmao>

So what do you think about the fit and finish and over all construction of the thing?     I have several of their standard NIB and Black Nitride BCG.   I bought them because they where cheap ( I think I paid $79 for the NIB ones and $69 for the Black Nitride)     I was not really overly impressed with the fit, finish and over all look of them.  They all needed re-staked, show some machine marks and just dont show the quality of a high end BCG.     For the price they are better than anything else at the price point,   But the reduced friction offering is more in line with what a premium offering sells for.      I have several of the SRC BCG,   There have been a few stories of broken bolt lugs on those but so far I have had no issues,  they have much of the same anti friction technology and are made out of a superior material and backed by a outstanding company.   (when I ask them about the broken bolt video's they said we had a run of bad heat treat and shipped me three brand new bolts even though I had no problems or signs of breakage) 

Put 100 rounds on it - it does it's job as a BCG.  Finish on it is incredibly smooth - very, very smooth.  Zero machining marks anywhere.  300BLK is dirty ammo, and it wiped down very easily - easier than some of my NiB coated BCGs. 

Re-zero on the 50 yard line, then fired to test that zero at other ranges.  Shot it at 25 yards, 15 yards, and 7 yards.  for the 50, 25 and 15, held centermass as point of aim.  You can see the impact zone - each square is one inch, so it's easy to see the drop and determine the holds at those distances.  At 7 yards, I held point of aim at the top of the block, instead of centermass, just in case the drop would have been off the paper.  It wasn't, or wouldn't have been.  I'd say at any range up to 50 yards, just hold point of aim and you're gonna impact damn close to what you're aiming at, even at 7 yards.

The BCG pic below had 100 rounds of dirty-firing ammo on it, and it was simply wiped down with a dry paper towel.  That's it.

post-7-0-59574400-1425851878_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-63375300-1425851881_thumb.jpg

Reduced contact ? That may be good or bad , depending if the reduced contact still keeps the BCG in proper alignment in its travel upon recoil. The BCG is going to contact the Upper receiver as is needed & some of the length of the BCG's guide rails , could be shorter or not . Long duration testing would be in order to compare it to a std BCG , IMO

I have several of the SRC BCG,   There have been a few stories of broken bolt lugs on those but so far I have had no issues,  they have much of the same anti friction technology and are made out of a superior material and backed by a outstanding company.   (when I ask them about the broken bolt video's they said we had a run of bad heat treat and shipped me three brand new bolts even though I had no problems or signs of breakage)

I have the SRC BBC and Relia-bolt too. My first bolt was part of the bad heat treat batch, but I haven't seen any signs of concern (I'm going to continue running it to see if it fails).

Ranger Proof also has a version of this carrier (and they were the first ones out with it AFAIK). Both the Sharps and Ranger Proof are made by Azimuth Technology. I wonder if Ares is as well, or if they just copied the design. Given the cost difference between the Ares one and the others, I'm wondering where they cut corners.

If I had to rate "smoothness of pull" from all my 5.56 carriers it'd be BCM, TN Arms NP3, Sharps BBC, Stag Chrome, and PSA. The BCM BCGs always pleasantly surprise me with how smooth they pull.

My PWS MK216 BCG (melonite carrier with NP3 bolt) is absolutely ridiculously slick.

Edited by FaRKle!

Ranger Proof also has a version of this carrier (and they were the first ones out with it AFAIK). Both the Sharps and Ranger Proof are made by Azimuth Technology. I wonder if Ares is as well, or if they just copied the design. Given the cost difference between the Ares one and the others, I'm wondering where they cut corners.

I've seen another company with this design, too, but at a much higher price.  That's another one, on top of the ones you've listed.  Given the price from Ares Armor, and how many their live inventory reflects (still 164 in stock, right now - almost 300 of them when I ordered)...  I would suspect that Ares Armor might be the manufacturer.  How else would they have so many in stock, and how else could they sell it as cheap when others have the price jacked to the moon?...  Hmmm...

98 you order straight from ares? Since I saw this the other day I was thinking bout trying one in my spikes ar that thing has been kinda a pain gets alil dirty and dry and don't wanna cycle......

Straight from Ares Armor, brother.  Gonna pick up a few more, too.  I like 'em!  <thumbsup>