• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Practical Tactical Flashlights

So I picked up a Kel-tec KSG and I wanted to add a flashlight to it.....

Holy crap! there are entire forums dedicated to flashlights, and a whole range of prices and options and battery options!  There are some serious flashlight nerds out there....

I just want to put a light on my damn weapon!

So I weeded out the nonsense, and got way more flashlight than I needed with a rechargeable Lithium Ion batterie, and the charger.

The light I found was a Fenix PD35.  It can take two of those short camera batteries (like a midget AA) OR these newer ones that are the same size as the two short ones.

It has 960 Lumens, which from what I'm reading you really only need a couple hundred to blind an intruder.

I got the package used off Ebay for about $20 less than the light by itself, with no batteries.

I had narrowed the initial search down to the Fenix and a Streamlight before I stumbled upon the ebay auction.

I had added a $4 flashlight mount to an Amazon order a couple weeks ago and it turns out it looks like an NcStar, and is actually pretty nice, so I ordered a couple more on my next order.

I will receive the light next week, so I'll give you the full rundown... If I like it, I will add two more to my tacticool AR's.

So without getting too nerdy, what do you guys use/like?

post-15607-0-75772700-1433176176_thumb.j

Edited by AngelDeVille

I did see the E35 which is the rechargeable version, but it was longer, and it just adds a usb port. I figured it would look odd having my shotgun plugged into the computer... I plan on having a couple spares in the grip.

Yeah the Lumens on this one is ridiculous, I think it has 5 settings that the flashlight will remember when you turn it on next time.  I think I would only use the max setting if I was using it handheld with a pistol.  I just got it for the price of one of the lower lumen models, I was looking at the PD32, which maxes at 340 lumens. If I don't run across another "deal" I'm looking at that model for the other two I may get.

The Fenix flashlights seem to be pretty highly regarded, and the price for features seems to be just a little better than the closest competitor.

Edited by AngelDeVille

A note of caution....if you plan on using that for home defense, something that bright can end up disorienting you just by reflecting off walls or glass. I keep my hd lights under 200.

Is this from experience? Because I find it to be more conjecture than anything every time I've seen it come up.

Not one light on any of my guns has less than a 500 lumen rating except for my original TLR-1. I've gone through my place many times in the dark to see what I could see and what I can't with them (Streamlight TLR-1 HL - 630 lumens, Streamlight Protac HL - 600 lumens, Elzetta Charlie AVS - 900 lumens, Inforce WMLx - 500 lumens, Surefire P1R Peacekeeper - 600 lumens). I've never come close to blinding myself. You can use your light-colored walls to bounce light in order to make your WML act as a lamp instead of a spotting light if you're worried about blinding yourself.

Edited by FaRKle!

I like about 200 lumens for rifles, 100 is fine for a pistol. I find more does mess with my vision at times if inside but most the time I'm poking around in the woods and pasture. I'm a Surefire snob but own a Streamlight TLR-1 and like it just don't have the same confidence level with it. I like the Surefires because I can buy them used on ebay fairly cheap and not worry about any issues, snow, rain, below zero and 110 they just kick a$$.

• 3 years later...

I recently added a new Streamlight to my EDC. 

The ProTac 1L-1AA is advertised as a “dual fuel” being able to use CR123 or AA batteries. I can attest that it will also use use AAA batteries. It came with a battery, but when that’s dead I’ll replace it with a rechargeable CR123, and reserve the feature to use AA or AAA for emergencies. 350 lumens is perfect for my EDC, and the versatility of batteries tickles my prepper bone. 

CEC6B21E-78E6-4E9B-A328-7933B66AEF57.jpeg

and it now comes in FDE.... how can one not buy it?!??!

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

I recently added a new Streamlight to my EDC. 

The ProTac 1L-1AA is advertised as a “dual fuel” being able to use CR123 or AA batteries. I can attest that it will also use use AAA batteries. It came with a battery, but when that’s dead I’ll replace it with a rechargeable CR123, and reserve the feature to use AA or AAA for emergencies. 350 lumens is perfect for my EDC, and the versatility of batteries tickles my prepper bone. 

CEC6B21E-78E6-4E9B-A328-7933B66AEF57.jpeg

and it now comes in FDE.... how can one not buy it?!??!

I own that exact one too, so I agree. I have the bigger version too. I even tried killing one and it took a whooping like a champ.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up an OLIGHT pl mini valkyrie 2. In (fde?) more like metalic green but no one can see past the 600 lumens. fast charge usb, super lite weight compared to my others. and very affordable 90$ It states for pistol only so ill keep it there for now. 7 yards to the 12' wide garage door in the dark. I'll test it at the range soon. 

20190226_162807.jpg

20190226_163632.jpg

20190226_163614.jpg