shepp

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Sisco said:

Presto makes one that they say is specifically OK for a glass stove now, but everything else, yep it’s trouble.

I do not know about that one but I do know that the weight is the problem if it is a small pressure canner then it is probably ok but one that holds 12 pints or more is a no no....... mine holds 17 pints but we have a gas stove with a canning grill....

On 10/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, Sisco said:

Saw this picture today…I will just leave it here with no comment.

IMG_1361.jpeg

On 10/7/2023 at 11:35 PM, 98Z5V said:

Pressure Cooker Gone Wild?!!?  WTF is that?!

On 10/8/2023 at 8:26 AM, Magwa said:

looks to me like a glass top stove and a pressure canner gone wrong! NEVER use either a water bath or a pressure canner on a Glass top stove AND always maintain that pressure canner .

Judging by that vent hood, someone didn’t clean out their vent or very much neglected their pressure cooker. You hear the horror stories of the 70 and older pressure cookers, but in mine blowing it up is almost impossible. There’s the weight, and the pop off valve to keep it from going Boston bomber (to soon?) on your stove top. I remember the first time I used it I sat there baby sitting it for 90 min, but after that I just let it rock and check on it from time to time. I also have a gas stove so it’s very easy to dial in 

On 10/9/2023 at 11:01 PM, 98Z5V said:

@shepp, can I request another jar of those hotass green beans this year?  I have a buddy at work, his wife cans, and I was literally bragging about those things to her just the other night...   :banana:

yes sir!

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@shepp, can I request another jar of those hotass green beans this year?  I have a buddy at work, his wife cans, and I was literally bragging about those things to her just the other night...   :banana:

and we will bring you a jar of our version of Dilly Beans.......

• 1 month later...

Thanksgiving tradition, poultry broth 

simmered 36 hours, thenPressure canned, Came out with 11 quarts. 

buddy is dropping me off some venison bones soon so I’ll probably do some more venison stock here soon too. Then I really need to buckle down and can some older meat from the freezer. 

IMG_9514.jpeg

IMG_9515.jpeg

IMG_9531.jpeg

IMG_9532.jpeg

72283594724__D8BF6F2F-6EE2-4B5A-931B-2DE734F0FFD9.fullsizerender.jpeg

On 10/7/2023 at 7:36 PM, Sisco said:

Saw this picture today…I will just leave it here with no comment.

IMG_1361.jpeg

I still don’t get how this happens, only thing I can think of is not following directions, no inspection, no purge. 

that or it was a glass top stove it caved in and some how it exploded. 

but pressure canners are way safer than they were 50 years ago. 

IMG_9551.jpeg

On 12/2/2023 at 8:18 AM, unforgiven said:

It's nice to see you keeping this tradition alive in this day and time brother :thumbup: I don't see a lot of young people wanting to bother.

It’s worth the extra work, it takes soup to another level! I showed my mom how to make beef bone broth because the cow we got came with soup bones, she made beef veg soup this week with it and it came out amazing, she said she won’t buy beef broth again lol

****plus I know what’s going into it there’s no added bullshit……

1 hour ago, shepp said:

It’s worth the extra work, it takes soup to another level! I showed my mom how to make beef bone broth because the cow we got came with soup bones, she made beef veg soup this week with it and it came out amazing, she said she won’t buy beef broth again lol

I was talking to a patient about "homesteading" and food storage.  I mentioned what you do with canning and food prep.  She said "I should introduce him to my 30 year old daughter.  She needs a man like that."  I did not give any details for her to find you. :lmao:

On 12/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I was talking to a patient about "homesteading" and food storage.  I mentioned what you do with canning and food prep.  She said "I should introduce him to my 30 year old daughter.  She needs a man like that."  I did not give any details for her to find you. :lmao:

Lol she might get discouraged with the fact I’m 16 hours away or not interest in giving her any grandbabies at my age lol