shepp

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Weโ€™ll the sister in law is a CNA so she could take care of you and nurse you back to health. ๐Ÿ˜‚

hey you asked for pictures. Figured you would like the bikini pic and then I can also show off my trophy wife at the same timeโ€ฆ just wondering when she will realize she is way out of my league. Lol.

She knows sheโ€™s out of your league. Smart womanโ€ฆyouโ€™ll do anything she wants and that makes everything work. Itโ€™s a win win. ย I learned that with my wife early on. She could have somebody in her league, but that takes a lot of work and sheโ€™d constantly be competing with other women. Settle a little below your league and youโ€™ve trapped a man for life who will always treat you well.ย 

1 hour ago, shepp said:

Oh good sheโ€™s used to taking care of elderly men ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Lol. Yes she has been doing that for a few years now. ๐Ÿ˜‚

11 minutes ago, DNP said:

She knows sheโ€™s out of your league. Smart womanโ€ฆyouโ€™ll do anything she wants and that makes everything work. Itโ€™s a win win. ย I learned that with my wife early on. She could have somebody in her league, but that takes a lot of work and sheโ€™d constantly be competing with other women. Settle a little below your league and youโ€™ve trapped a man for life who will always treat you well.ย 

oh crap, I guess you are right and I am trapped. Lol. Just glad I am trapped with one that supports my gun habit.ย 

12 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Good plan.ย  There are far fewer people who will survive in California.ย  Too many people are dependent on hand outs.ย  So, there should be less competition for resources.

The more freeloaders the more competition for the resources not less.

Hungry people will do whatever it takes to eat.

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Good plan.ย  There are far fewer people who will survive in California.ย  Too many people are dependent on hand outs.ย  So, there should be less competition for resources.

And seeing as we were at one point, and may still be, producing over 10% of the agriculture in the nationโ€ฆwe actually have resources.ย 

36 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Your in the best place to weather the storm. It is going to happen sooner or later whatever the causative factor will be.

Yup, just got more canning to do. Got to think of more meals that can be canned also since we generally donโ€™t like just canning ingredientsย 

On 12/14/2021 at 7:13 PM, ARTrooper said:

Yup, just got more canning to do. Got to think of more meals that can be canned also since we generally donโ€™t like just canning ingredientsย 

Iโ€™m gonna clean out my freezer this winter and can a bunch of meatย 

do you have the ball canning guide book? Iโ€™m pretty sure Iโ€™ve asked that beforeย 

ย 

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=asc_df_0778801314_nodl/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312069235624&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11493319489659729797&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018912&hvtargid=pla-586375869797&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58874700621&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312069235624&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11493319489659729797&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018912&hvtargid=pla-586375869797

On 12/14/2021 at 8:08 AM, DNP said:

Settle a little below your league and youโ€™ve trapped a man for life who will always treat you well.ย 

I like this - alot.ย  Words of wisdom, right there, brother...ย ย  :hail:

On 12/14/2021 at 10:26 AM, ARTrooper said:

So we are all meeting in Arizona for the reset, right?ย 

I am.ย  I have a defensible position, for a long, long time.ย  If we don't want anybody in - then they're not coming in.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, ARTrooper said:

Elizabeth had been canning the last couple of months like crazy. Things slowed down because of holidays but a lot of stuff is in the freezer just waiting. I also got her a second pressure canner, so she runs two of the large ones at once.ย 
A38A9645-6171-4468-80F3-2AFD4E021C16.thumb.jpeg.733fe16684dd74cad46bfd419684586a.jpeg

we buy multiple truck loads of peppers,onions, squash, tomatoes, apples, and many other things by the bushels from the Amish who are locally growing it. Most things are 1/2 to 1/10 the cost that we would pay at any grocery store. Wife keeps an eye out for sales as well.ย 
4171787D-7630-4A8E-BC6C-30E80C7F4165.thumb.jpeg.151b2cb977d0aa716a436e0791aec13b.jpeg
Our upstairs 6x7 pantry is literally packed from floor to 9 foot ceiling with jars and other type of packaged foodโ€ฆ so I started building shelves in the basement for everything the wife was canning this year. Wood is also from the Amish. Again, so much cheaper. And once it is done, it will hold 1092 quart jars. Also building another shelf for pints that is just a few feet shorter than this one and will hold well over 1200 pints.ย 
ย 

so far we have over 800 quarts canned and idk how many hundreds of pints. With the cost of meat and other stuff, 90% of it is locally grown and almost all the meat is hunted.ย 

ย 

After seeing this and reading the last few pages, I'm inspired to try this out. Gonna be starting from scratch so any help would be greatly appreciated. Without a lot of consecutive free time I was looking at the Presto electric 16 qt. unit. Also not too keen on using the glass cooktop for the weight. Ideas?

On 12/16/2021 at 1:15 AM, jim3326 said:

ย 

After seeing this and reading the last few pages, I'm inspired to try this out. Gonna be starting from scratch so any help would be greatly appreciated. Without a lot of consecutive free time I was looking at the Presto electric 16 qt. unit. Also not too keen on using the glass cooktop for the weight. Ideas?

Get this bookย 

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=asc_df_0778801314_nodl/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312069235624&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11493319489659729797&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018912&hvtargid=pla-586375869797&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58874700621&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312069235624&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11493319489659729797&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018912&hvtargid=pla-586375869797

ย 

as for canning supplies are slowing coming back in store. ย If you have a glass top stove I would look into somthing like a turkey fryer burner, but also keep in mind that thereโ€™s a btu limit on pressure canners I think my presto is 12,000 butโ€™s.ย 
ย 

I started out making salsa myย and from there my curiosity grew. My mom used to jams jellyโ€™s and salsa so I had a little experience from her, but itโ€™s not really rocket science and that book has lots of good detailed instructions along with tips and tricks.ย 

I do see they do make an electric pressure canner, I didnโ€™t know that. It looks small though I would read into how many quarts and pints regular and wide mouth jars it can holdย 

ย 

I have this one and then just a regular canner for water bath canningย 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/kitchen-utensils-and-gadgets/cookware/68534?store=03067&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5OuNBhCRARIsACgaiqWU8usig6LoOgMrWUldIrx9nEGZz6yMXQ6LbaD-jEQ_rYKNFriTPkUaAhMhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 hours ago, shepp said:

I do see they do make an electric pressure canner, I didnโ€™t know that. It looks small though I would read into how many quarts and pints regular and wide mouth jars it can holdย 

ย 

I have this one and then just a regular canner for water bath canningย 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/kitchen-utensils-and-gadgets/cookware/68534?store=03067&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5OuNBhCRARIsACgaiqWU8usig6LoOgMrWUldIrx9nEGZz6yMXQ6LbaD-jEQ_rYKNFriTPkUaAhMhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what I was looking at, it'll do 5 qts. but only 10 pints. The main difference is it's shorter so you can't stack.

https://www.gopresto.com/product/presto-precise-digital-pressure-canner-02144

ย 

I have a disc-o I could probably use for a regular canner.ย 

Thanks for the info.ย 

20 hours ago, jim3326 said:

ย 

I have my wife making a list of things she would recommend as a beginner. She actually started out hot water bathing, not using a pressure canner. And she canned a lot of stuff. Was cheap and easy, just took a little longer for some stuff. Acidy stuff cans good with hot water baths though.
ย 

that electric canner looks cool but man is it pricey, and really isnโ€™t that necessary. Although canning on a glass cook top can be bad, you are correct on that. So maybe the electric canner would be a good fit for you. My wife has also done some canning in her insta pots.ย 

9 hours ago, shepp said:

Everything Iโ€™ve read in canning groups thatโ€™s a big no no.ย 

So Elizabeth says people that say not to do it is because it isnโ€™t FDA approved because they havenโ€™t run their own studies and test to see if it keeps a constant pressure. However the FDA is government funded (manipulated) and insure as hell donโ€™t trust them. Some insta pots even have buttons for canning. Lol.ย 
ย 

Elizabeth is also part of some of a lot of canning groups, including many that say F the FDA and their rules. She has canned many things the FDA doesnโ€™t approve, and it has worked out just fine, some things are trial and error.ย 
ย 

She suggests Facebook groups such as Canning Rebels, Rebel Canners, and Canning and Preserving With Love.ย 

Elizabeth does have two Presto 23 quart canners that she runs at the same time.

She suggests anyone starting out to get:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Canning-Jar-Lifter-with-Non-Slip-Handles-1-Count/20469603

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Jar-Wide-Mouth-Fermentation-Lids-Mason-Jar-Lids/275768754

and she suggests starting small with easy stuff like fruit, basically high in acid stuff is the easiest. And pickling things is pretty easy and last long, if you are into pickled stuff.ย 

Some brands of lids and jars really suck. So do research in off brands before you buy so lids donโ€™t pop and you loose tons of stored food. Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest always seem good to go. And keep an eye out for used jars, especially at estate sales.ย 

and if you arenโ€™t sure if you can can something, give it a try in small amounts, you will be able to tell if and when it goes bad. Anything that is canned at Walmart can be canned at home ๐Ÿ˜‰

On 12/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, ARTrooper said:

So Elizabeth says people that say not to do it is because it isnโ€™t FDA approved because they havenโ€™t run their own studies and test to see if it keeps a constant pressure. However the FDA is government funded (manipulated) and insure as hell donโ€™t trust them. Some insta pots even have buttons for canning. Lol.ย 
ย 

Elizabeth is also part of some of a lot of canning groups, including many that say F the FDA and their rules. She has canned many things the FDA doesnโ€™t approve, and it has worked out just fine, some things are trial and error.ย 
ย 

She suggests Facebook groups such as Canning Rebels, Rebel Canners, and Canning and Preserving With Love.ย 

Elizabeth does have two Presto 23 quart canners that she runs at the same time.

She suggests anyone starting out to get:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Canning-Jar-Lifter-with-Non-Slip-Handles-1-Count/20469603

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Jar-Wide-Mouth-Fermentation-Lids-Mason-Jar-Lids/275768754

and she suggests starting small with easy stuff like fruit, basically high in acid stuff is the easiest. And pickling things is pretty easy and last long, if you are into pickled stuff.ย 

Some brands of lids and jars really suck. So do research in off brands before you buy so lids donโ€™t pop and you loose tons of stored food. Ball, Kerr, Golden Harvest always seem good to go. And keep an eye out for used jars, especially at estate sales.ย 

and if you arenโ€™t sure if you can can something, give it a try in small amounts, you will be able to tell if and when it goes bad. Anything that is canned at Walmart can be canned at home ๐Ÿ˜‰

I donโ€™t care about the FDA, I do care about botulism, Iโ€™ve seen more than the FDA say no go. Other reason I wouldnโ€™t use one is theyโ€™re to small. Itโ€™s fun to be a rebel till your whole family is dead on Christmas Day, cuz guidelines werenโ€™t followed ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Well considering my whole family should already be dead from Covid according to the White House, CNN and Fauci, I am not gonna worry. My wife heats everything to the proper temperature for the proper amount of time and we make sure it all seals. And though you can use an insta pot, we donโ€™t because we have the much larger pressure canners.ย 
ย 

besides, I ate sh1t in Afghanistan on raids of compounds that was left sitting out for God knows how long by the Taliban. Lol.ย