• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Canning anyone??

shepp

It’s that time of year again, tried something new this year and did 6 jelly jars of candied jalapeños last week along with 12 pints of salsa verde. This weekend I’m working on green beans, tomato sauce and if I have enough tomatoes left I want to try a fire roasted tomato salsa recipe i found. A lot of people chirping about knowing how to hunt and raise your own meat and what not. But not a lot of them talking about knowing how to preserve your food for those times 

E3231DDC-B02A-491E-8EFC-573E81D71045.jpeg

8D2B1F36-A5B2-4510-82B9-8DEC5A038F21.jpeg

EF818D03-51E1-4B15-AA65-3B0B54C35282.jpeg

C0FD1573-FE3E-46A4-9F87-DC01D67E665B.jpeg

75F915F4-191A-4A55-A7E3-871A4361E24C.jpeg

07BE2C46-9C88-4C4F-BCF0-C21CF8A2AB7F.jpeg

2A8BFC20-D10E-4584-942B-3CE469AE8237.jpeg

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice looking veggies, that's how I want my tomatoes to look when I cut them open :thumbup: For no more than I planted we ate a bunch but it was a slow season start so I'm sure most of the tomatoes I'm looking at will still be green at first frost, tried a couple heirlooms with longer days to fruit, might need to put more effort into helping them get going next time.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:05 PM, jtallen83 said:

Nice looking veggies, that's how I want my tomatoes to look when I cut them open :thumbup: For no more than I planted we ate a bunch but it was a slow season start so I'm sure most of the tomatoes I'm looking at will still be green at first frost, tried a couple heirlooms with longer days to fruit, might need to put more effort into helping them get going next time.

This is the best year I’ve had for tomatoes in years. The plant that one came off of has 30-40 pounds of fruit in it, it’s insane! I had to prop branches up with cat litter buckets to keep them from snapping. And I agree they don’t get much more perfect then that! 

I bought a lot of my plants from a local green house, it’s easier, but also have the means to glow seedlings. I didn’t get my garden in till Memorial Day weekend this year which is pretty late for up here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Trying somthing new, eventually hopefully this will become hot sauce. It will ferment for about a month. Then I’ll remove the veggies and a cup or so of the brine, blend and put into bottles .

one is habanero pineapple, the other jalapeño lime

9396022E-901A-4A20-86CF-8157B4545954.jpeg

3FAC83E7-4647-4F2E-8BC6-25461EC15660.jpeg

63E6BA0A-D57F-4EB9-83EF-E4464920D3A0.jpeg

21 hours ago, shepp said:

My buddy has a pile of apples this year on his trees. Used about half of what we picked today and made 20 pints of apple sauce 

2048F683-D487-4466-BDAE-4A53103C2B5A.jpeg

4C02ACC2-E25C-46C0-A8FD-A5AC0B824339.jpeg

6AD262AA-4FBD-45C7-B04B-A1934BC42404.jpeg

E6F33E87-52E5-42C9-8DFD-E384B94F262A.jpeg

Holee $hit! Flashbacks from being a kid. Every fall, my pop and my mother would load my middle brother and me in the car and drive down into Luray (in Virginia along the Shenandoah's), headed for the roadside apple stands. She would have us load up as many bushel's of apples as we could fit into the trunk of that '72 Lincoln. If I remember correctly, we could squeeze between 6 and 8 easily into that big ass trunk. Then we'd go home, and the assembly line would begin. After that, I don't think that a meal would go by, throughout the fall/winter/spring, that we didn't have apple sauce and/or apple butter on the table.

That might be one of the reasons why I don't eat the stuff these days. :lmao:

On 10/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, Rsquared said:

Holee $hit! Flashbacks from being a kid. Every fall, my pop and my mother would load my middle brother and me in the car and drive down into Luray (in Virginia along the Shenandoah's), headed for the roadside apple stands. She would have us load up as many bushel's of apples as we could fit into the trunk of that '72 Lincoln. If I remember correctly, we could squeeze between 6 and 8 easily into that big ass trunk. Then we'd go home, and the assembly line would begin. After that, I don't think that a meal would go by, throughout the fall/winter/spring, that we didn't have apple sauce and/or apple butter on the table.

That might be one of the reasons why I don't eat the stuff these days. :lmao:

Hahaha that’s awesome

On 10/9/2022 at 8:40 AM, Magwa said:

all 1/2 pints salmon for the next year this batch is 90 or so and we have one more batch to do should have around 150 1/2 pints for the nest two years

IMG_20200816_054408611.jpg

I’d like to try that some time! 

did another 8 pints of sauce and 5 pints on brandied apple rings today, I’m over apples lol

Lmao. You poor bastard @Rsquared  I don’t know what you did when she was just a little angel, but it looks like she holds a grudge.  We get the Will set up properly and I might be able to keep you out of Ocean Pines in the future. I’m only after the guns. You can leave the Star Wars stuff to charity. 

Edited by DNP

55 minutes ago, DNP said:

Give it time. Soon enough you will again. That shits on all the “no frills” menus for a reason. 

I already eat like a caveman as it is. I eat better at the SDTF than I ever do at home.

53 minutes ago, shepp said:

When he’s at ocean pines 

:thefinger:

24 minutes ago, kdawg0124 said:

Oh, it will FOR SURE be served at Ocean Pines.... making a note now for Future Kate. @Rsquared

:thefinger:Too! I gotta figure out a way to get you out of the trust. :lmao:

10 minutes ago, DNP said:

Lmao. You poor bastard @Rsquared  I don’t know what you did when she was just a little angel, but it looks like she holds a grudge.  We get the Will set up properly and I might be able to keep you out of Ocean Pines in the future. I’m only after the guns. You can leave the Star Wars stuff to charity. 

Little angel? Ahh....you've met her dude.

AND....it's Star TREK stuff my man. There's a difference.

After all. My model starships are better than their's can ever be. :laffs:

33 minutes ago, DNP said:

Now THATS funny. 

18 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

:thefinger:Too! I gotta figure out a way to get you out of the trust. :lmao:

HAHA!!! Keep trying, fucker!