• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

% of charge reduction for Lake City?

NoFail

Hi, been a long time since I've been here. I have not been very active for the last few years. I have the sound of brass wet tumbling in my ear right now, I need to get going again. 

I've been thinking of purchasing some Lake City once fired & I think that that brass has thicker walls, less volume, is that correct? In that circumstance I reckon a lesser charge weight is prudent, compared to the many Winchester and Hornady commercial brass I have. 

Any recommendations? Thanks guys, it's been awhile since I've been here.

Hi, been a long time since I've been here. I have not been very active for the last few years. I have the sound of brass wet tumbling in my ear right now, I need to get going again. 

I've been thinking of purchasing some Lake City once fired & I think that that brass has thicker walls, less volume, is that correct? Yes

In that circumstance I reckon a lesser charge weight is prudent, compared to the many Winchester and Hornady commercial brass I have. 

Any recommendations?  0.2gr less

Thanks guys, it's been awhile since I've been here.

Missed your icon !

Nice to see you again brother,hope everyone is well.

Hey there, Unforgiven!!! Yes everyone is very well, I am pretty good, been working a lot, but I gave my two weeks notice and start a terrific new job on the 9th. Have not been actively shooting hardly at all, I miss it, I've missed all of you guys, but I'm trying to get back now. Good to hear from you, brother!!!

Edited by NoFail

Missed your icon !

MikedaddyH!!! I remember you too. Thanks for the reply, understood, I'm trying to get back, just been hectic last few years, s happens!!

thanks my brother ?

Edit: oh yes the icon, I forgot about that one heh heh, I think I'll keep it there too :)

Edited by NoFail

You could start some where near the min. loading & work it up from there . Some powders react differently to case volume & temperature . A good Chronograph is always helpful . I still weigh all my brass & put them in weight categories , even with same brands. Not really necessary for blasting ammo , but for testing best groupings , it can make a difference , you can see how a little difference in case volume can alter results .

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2016 at 0:03 AM, FreQRiDeR said:

If you want to be scientific about it, you can measure the case capacity in grains of h20 of your standard load and the lake city brass and do the math. 

41gr RL15                X grains

--------------      X      --------------

56 gr. H20 win         54 gr. H2O LC

They say " its all about the Math " , but too many variables , chamber dimensions , Bullet make up & seating depth , also ambient temperature. , even Barrel rifling , can effect chamber pressure curve , so real world effects can be much different then the math , though its good to have that formula.  Starting close to the low end of charge weight, might be safer in the long run .

On 1/1/2017 at 5:20 AM, survivalshop said:

They say " its all about the Math " , but too many variables , chamber dimensions , Bullet make up & seating depth , also ambient temperature. , even Barrel rifling , can effect chamber pressure curve , so real world effects can be much different then the math , though its good to have that formula.  Starting close to the low end of charge weight, might be safer in the long run .

Absolutely, this is assuming same bullets/rifle/powder/OAL/primer, the only difference being case capacity. Math don't lie! ;)