• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel harmonics and tuning

There has been speculation in the past that a shorter "bull" barrel could be conceivably more accurate than a longer standard barrel becuse of the harmonics issue. Less flex, etc.. Once you get out to long distances, the longer barrel might have the advantage in keeping the projectile transonic longer and thus more accurate. I haven't seen definitive data, but it is interesting.

Yes , Browning did develop an adjustable muzzle break called the B.O.S.S.. The story I read years ago was Browning was having issues with some BAR's that wouldn't group, when someone decided to loop some barrel off and got good results, there theory was barrel harmonics was the ticket. Anschulz had done testing also an found that a .22 lr barrel optimum length was 16 inches. They produced rifles with longer barrels, but were actually just sight extension for increase sight radius. Would be interesting to see if an adjustable break would help on shorter barrels. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of putting together an AR 10 in .308 at this time.  Living on just my retirement income, it's going to take some time but that's OK.  I am very interested in installing a tunable muzzle device.  Anyone have a suggestion as to what manufacture to purchase? All suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,

"old  vet"

3 minutes ago, ironhorse18 said:

I am in the process of putting together an AR 10 in .308 at this time.  Living on just my retirement income, it's going to take some time but that's OK.  I am very interested in installing a tunable muzzle device.  Anyone have a suggestion as to what manufacture to purchase? All suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,

"old  vet"

Welcome to the forum feel free to post up in the intro area

To start with lets rember that the BOSS system was used in the 70's and 80's.  Expeant accuracy then and now are two different things.   Then if you had a sporter rifle that would reliably shoot an 1" group, you had quite a good rifle!  Now we expect that.

The Boss system worked by screwing in in or out , like a nut on a bolt. 

Browning held a nation wide contest to find the most accrate Boss equiped rifle.  Handloading and the Boss the only things that you were allowed to change.   Rifles had to be stock Brownings.  BBL's were from carbine length to 26" magnums.    The boss worked on all of them.

Lots of rifles shot under an inch, one under 3/4  regularly.  I don't rember what the winner really was, after all, that was the most part of 40 years ago.LOL!

Would they work, today?  with all the advantages we now have?   Heck if I know.

Respectfully

Terry

• 7 months later...

One of my engineer shooting buddies in Pampa was an engineer for Cabot , Cabot had a metal foundry and manufactored tubes for the new 175 MM howitzer for the Army back during the 1970s and he was involved in improving accuracy for the tubes. He had a lot of information on barrel harmonics and we did some work on the stocks of our bolt action target rifles by moving nodes trying to improve accuracy. We ended up deciding a free floated barrel was best, because a wooden stock changed pressure on the barrel when moisture caused swelling in the wood. we also read about the work Browning was doing.

A side story that is funny about this friend was he was a avid photographer along with being a gun guru. He went deer hunting in Colorado and before he went bought a Winchester Model 70 in .270 from me, it was a high dollar factory engraved piece and I mounted a Leopold scope on it.

While he was hunting without a guide he decided to do some photography and hung the rifle in a tree did his picture taking and couldn't remember where he left his rifle, he and his buddies hunted for it for three days and never found it. Some lucky hunter either found it or it may still be hanging on that tree. It was over a $1500 rifle even in 1974.

I have the .308 finished, and ashamed to say I have yet to put a pill down the barrel.  I  mounted a Vortex PST FFV  on the top.  1 / 11 twist, hope to shoot Palma's.  If they don't fly good I'll try something else.  Point is I'll make her shoot.  I did a lot of fitting etc., it seams tight.  2.8 lb trigger I did myself with a home made adjusting screw and a bunch of honing.  I made a jig to make the screws on the lathe.  Been spending hours and hours on getting my machine shop together.  Hoping to get some decent weather to get out to the range soon.

• 5 years later...