• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

my homemade .308 AR - only technical discussion please

freeminder

Hello

I want only a technical discussion please.

Nothing about laws, governments, etc... It should become a interesting thread for all homemade AR´s

Here are the first pictures of my .308 AR.

Picture 01.jpgPicture 02.jpgPicture 03.jpgPicture 04.jpg

All parts are selfmade.

Edited by freeminder
text added

It looks like a replica to Adams Arms short stroke piston system. Complete with their switch block.

That design (I own one) has a lot of gas bleed off and isn't very economic. The HK system is a far superior short stroke, as it auto regulates gas flow. The former design also relies to heavily on piston rod alignment and spacing. HK's design autocorrects any alignment shifts. The HK design also has a replaceable piston cup, which it where all the wear is on that system.

Original post says all parts are self-made.  Does that mean you created them based on these drawings?  Still would like actual photos if that is true.  Hell, I'd like a couple of shots of your shop.  I assume "all" would include barrel, bolt, etc.etc.  Pics, please, and a clarification.

20 hours ago, freeminder said:

Hello

I want only a technical discussion please.

Nothing about laws, governments, etc... 

Why? Is it illegal in your country of residence? 

Only reason we had asked is outta curiosity, we are 99.999999% Americans here so we just wanted to learn more about how the rest of the world works seeing how the scoff at our "lacks" gun laws

11 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

It looks like a replica to Adams Arms short stroke piston system. Complete with their switch block.

That design (I own one) has a lot of gas bleed off and isn't very economic. The HK system is a far superior short stroke, as it auto regulates gas flow. The former design also relies to heavily on piston rod alignment and spacing. HK's design autocorrects any alignment shifts. The HK design also has a replaceable piston cup, which it where all the wear is on that system.

I got a better look at the design (now that I'm not trying to look at it from my phone). I recant my statement about it looking like a AA system. It's nothing similar. 

47 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Well damn. It doesn't get any closer than that.

I think Imschur has a 308AR that uses the FAL mags... or maybe it was G3 mags...

RRA LAR-8s use FAL mags.

You aren't thinking of those old CMMG 308ARs that use G3 mags are you?

Edited by planeflyer21

On 5/19/2016 at 1:23 PM, freeminder said:

Hello, I want only a technical discussion please.

Nothing about laws, governments, etc... It should become a interesting thread for all homemade AR´s

Here are the first pictures of my .308 AR.

All parts are selfmade.

call bull.jpg

Almost sounds like this and the thread wanting magazine blueprints is a phishing attempt........convince us otherwise.

On May 21, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Robocop1051 said:

NEGATIVE... SI-Defense made a G3 version back in the day.

See how he gets when you mention that four letter manufacturer !:lmao:  

I have a new fondness for my **** Lower ( didn't want to mention the four letters , don't want to upset him more ), its working pretty good now that Magpul came out with the Gen.3 Mags .:thumbup:

57 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

See how he gets when you mention that four letter manufacturer !:lmao:  

I have a new fondness for my **** Lower ( didn't want to mention the four letters , don't want to upset him more ), its working pretty good now that Magpul came out with the Gen.3 Mags .:thumbup:

Wow!  MagPul mags are so good they even make ASSS (new 4-letter abbreviation) rifles work! :laffs:

On 5/21/2016 at 8:54 PM, jtallen83 said:

call bull.jpg

Almost sounds like this and the thread wanting magazine blueprints is a phishing attempt........convince us otherwise.

Why would this be a phishing attempt?  I'm not trying to argue, just kind of confused as to what there is to gain from lying about having a rifle build or asking for magazine blueprints.

1 hour ago, MLC said:

Why would this be a phishing attempt?  I'm not trying to argue, just kind of confused as to what there is to gain from lying about having a rifle build or asking for magazine blueprints.

There has been some anti-gun people going on gun forums and trying to "expose" illegal activity. There are regulations with big grey areas when it comes to exporting weapon technology. Blueprints and such could be considered technology. It would be just like selling your Nightforce scope to someone overseas, a federal offense.

On 5/25/2016 at 5:04 AM, jtallen83 said:

There has been some anti-gun people going on gun forums and trying to "expose" illegal activity. There are regulations with big grey areas when it comes to exporting weapon technology. Blueprints and such could be considered technology. It would be just like selling your Nightforce scope to someone overseas, a federal offense.

Now it makes more sense.  It's much appreciated.  Crappy of them to do that, but makes sense.