• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Weapon Or Training?

From a defensive standpoint, 230 is still a lot of tanks as long as you are reasonably sure you can maintain air superiority. Hopefully Germany is just making some room for the leo3. That program as well as the challenger2 probably got a little kickstart when Russia dropped its new T14. It looks like a scary beast. No new tank on our horizons, but we're still the big dog, and the M1A3 SEP V3 upgrade will keep us there. I'd kill to be able to go play around with one of those.

There have been videos of a 130MM smoothbore being tested. Significantly more punch, and would indicate finally moving to an autoloader.  

• 2 years later...
On 6/23/2016 at 12:48 PM, blue109 said:

Read a few articles in the past about troops hating G36s. 

Really? I got to shoot a converted SL-8 and I liked it a lot. The G36 looks cool too, which should be the deciding factor. If they wanted an ugly but functional rifle then there is always the Kalashnikov.

I have a G36k issued to me for duty. I hate that gawdam POS. The only positive about it, is the same reason we still use them... the operating system is flawless! I’ve had to attend NUMEROUS trainings with it, utterly embarrassed each time, but it definitely represents when it’s time to grade performance  

mine also has the ridiculous dual optics, massive MOA RDS over a minuscule 2x that has a 10mm objective. I would’ve replaced it already, but a top rail is several hundred dollars  

The LW 14.5” barrels are CHF and “were” accurate enough. Mine is completely shot out and barely holding 6MOA... although, that could be part of the POS optics too. 

We just purchased a stash of 11.5” Colts. I’m hoping that there’s a transition in the VERY near future. 

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

I have a G36k issued to me for duty. I hate that gawdam POS. The only positive about it, is the same reason we still use them... the operating system is flawless! I’ve had to attend NUMEROUS trainings with it, utterly embarrassed each time, but it definitely represents when it’s time to grade performance  

mine also has the ridiculous dual optics, massive MOA RDS over a minuscule 2x that has a 10mm objective. I would’ve replaced it already, but a top rail is several hundred dollars  

The LW 14.5” barrels are CHF and “were” accurate enough. Mine is completely shot out and barely holding 6MOA... although, that could be part of the POS optics too. 

We just purchased a stash of 11.5” Colts. I’m hoping that there’s a transition in the VERY near future. 

No wonder nobody likes the g36, maybe it is a better video game gun.

The G36 is out of date. there are better rifles out there that are more compact, lighter, use standard mags that are interchangeable between platforms, have better choice for mounting optics, and less expensive. a standard military m4 would be better. The gas piston system of the G36 is nice but gas impingement has done well in many wars in all types of environments. 

The platform was good in its day but has never been above and beyond anything. Why else would H&K stray so far from the design with more of an ar15 style with its 416?

As for the video games, they have always made it overpowered because it looked cool. 5.56 nato is still 5.56 nato no matter what platform it comes from, video games don't usually show this.

yes, and the ar15 is alive and well with several benefits over the g36 chassis. a polymer channel seems to be the issue according to the article. I am not sure what polymer channel they are talking about, but my ARs sure don't have one. got to love some decent aluminum. also, when I was in the army my unit trained more than the average unit. when we deployed, we got to country and the armorer finally checked our barrels. not one barrel in our platoon could a barrel gauge be dropped through, yet we could all hit targets at 600 meters. 

Part of me thinks it is poor training for the majority of the Germans, but also poor upkeep due to not enough funding. I don't think the G36 is a bad weapon, I just believe an AR has benefits over it.