• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

takedown pin spring problem

HavasuMike

This is my first 308 build so I'm flying SOP.  The hole for the spring is at the back end of the lower to be held in by the stock.  Is this the normal place as opposed to the AR15 where it is below the receiver?  I have a DPMS 308 lower parts kit and the spring is too short.  I'm guessing it is for an AR15.  Where can I get the longer spring?  

Welcome to the forum feel free to post in the intro section

i just bought an ar15 lower and my rear pin is in the same location as yours. I used battle arms pins on my build and they fit perfect (really nice pins btw) anyways try brownells the sell springs and stuff separate 

What lower are you using? The DPMS lower has the takedown pin spring up through the bottom ( grip area), so their LR308 LPK is set up for that. My Matrix lower comes in through the rear (stock area) like you describe and they have a longer spring in their LPK. You can probably email the manufacturer of you lower and try to source that spring, or like JT says, use something to take up the extra space. Some guys even like to tap that hole and run a little plug so you can pull the stock off without the spring coming out.

And....I've had a cheap tap break off. It was operator error for sure, but made the whole process that much more of a pain in the ass. I had to boil the lower in an alum solution which basically helped oxidation eat the tap. It also stripped the lower to bare aluminum...so I'll have to paint that one when I get to it. 

Stick to the simple methods. 

Thanks for all the help.  This is a Modulus 80% lower.  I don't think they sell parts, but I will ask them if they know about this.  I'll also check out Matrix.  In the mean time,  I'll do the coat hanger thing.  I waited 6 months for the buffer tube, so I'm anxious to finish it off.  Now I have to do the upper.  I'm still undecided how I want to do it. 

23 hours ago, DNP said:

And....I've had a cheap tap break off. It was operator error for sure, but made the whole process that much more of a pain in the ass. I had to boil the lower in an alum solution which basically helped oxidation eat the tap. It also stripped the lower to bare aluminum...so I'll have to paint that one when I get to it. 

Stick to the simple methods. 

Damn. I wish I had known. I did the same YEARS ago. I bought a special tool to get the tap out. I would've sent it to you. I froze my receiver, to shrink the aluminum, and then used the tool to remove the broken tap.

I posted the process around here somewhere.