• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Safe Distance?

What is a safe distance?  Some stats on LE involved shootings:  https://leb.fbi.gov/2016/july/officer-survival-spotlight-what-is-a-safe-distance

While the article doesn't cover it, we encourage students to practice point shooting at extremely close distance (arm's length), in conjunction with non-firearm related options.

•  To me the safe distance is what ever I feel I don't have a choice but to use deadly force , can't really say what that distance is or could be , because the situation determines this decision .

I was shot at under arms length , almost point blank , i didn't have the time to even use my hands to block the handgun or even move in some way . He pulled the gun & fired into my stomach & the bullet hit my spine & dropped me like a stone , unable to move &  he then pointed it at my head & pulled the trigger , but the POS gun a H&R 32 revolver , misfired & gave my friends time to tackle him & beat the $hit out of him & LEO came in almost right after  ,because they were close .

I was in a Bar & unarmed , but a couple years out from the service , He came up to me , probably because I was the biggest guy in the Bar , I was playing fosse ball & pulled the gun & put it into my stomach & told me to pull out something better , I told him I didn't need a gun & if he put his away , I would prove it , he laughed & walked away . That pissed me off , I went up to him at the Barr & asked his name , he said he wouldn't tell me & I said ok , someone here knows you & I will find out & walked back toward the Table , Bad decision & move on my part , really stupid if you think about it , I just thought he was another punk high on something ( he was on PCP ) & was showing off , something made me turn around & when I did, he shoved the gun in my belly & it went off .

I was in ICU for eight days , six inches of my intestines removed & a bullet in the muscle tissue of my Spine , the last X-ray I had last year the bullet has moved about four inches away from my spine & I knew it moved & told them so .

I relate this story only because , as I said in the beginning , I will draw & fire when I feel threatened no matter if they are armed or not . I aways carried a gun from that moment on , & i don't care what the law reads & always will .

Edited by survivalshop

28 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Back in 1977 a lot of us did things that weren't well thought out. Glad you made it brother.

I like that phrase "not well thought out".  My mom used to describe those kinds of actions as "You haven't got a brain in your damn head!"  I think there were a lot of times when she was surprised I was still alive.  :lmao:

6 hours ago, slugger43 said:

I like that phrase "not well thought out".  My mom used to describe those kinds of actions as "You haven't got a brain in your damn head!"  I think there were a lot of times when she was surprised I was still alive.  :lmao:

There's a lot of times I'm surprised I was still alive.

On 7/18/2016 at 8:07 PM, Sisco said:

Back in 1977 a lot of us did things that weren't well thought out. Glad you made it brother.

Me too ! Jumping off cliffs , very large rocks and flying over a quarter mile on ski's. Plus Crusin' in a 68' Dodge Coronet with minimal driving experience at 16… Pretty stupid $h¡T.

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

In 1977 strapping on Skis and skiing 56 miles over three days through wilderness by myself without telling anyone I was doing it. and getting caught in a snowstorm. I made it out, but I learned a lesson.

Tried that once myself on crosscountry skiis.

Within about 10 miles the skiis were destroyed by all the rocks and cacti, so I walked back home.

Kid is quick...

Did the "El president" at Izaak Walton the other day. A barricade was fabbed up by one of the guys. No practice up to event. 26 rds. prior to event. Shot 4.5 first 6 shots off the strong side,5.4 6 shots off weak side. Used my Xdm .45 ACP mag holds 13 no need for a reload. Clock was stopped for changing sides. This was a first for the club and they wanted the guys to have fun and not get hurt. I was 6 out of 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I practice at arms length, but also at other yardages out to 20 yards , I don't practice for speed any more , because I figure if its going to happen It will happen a lot faster then you think anyway . I practice at moderate speed , making sure every thing works . Pulling the firearm, no body or support hand parts in the way & making sure I hit where I mean to . I think speed practice is good , but making sure it all works is much safer , maybe because I'm older now & I still use hostages targets also , you have to slow down a little with a perp holding a hostage , its pretty much head shots only .

That young man is fas though .

Edited by survivalshop

From reading the article, my first reaction is that he should have called for backup as soon as he was told that her boyfriend was outside. He's lucky he didn't get jumped while he was putting her in the patrol car! As far as distance goes, that dipshit had both hands inside his jacket! It it was me he would be looking straight down a .45 caliber barrel at that point and if he looks hard enough he should be able to see the big honkin' hollowpoint! He would have NEVER gotten close enough for me to grab his arm, that's for damn sure. Early in my career I had a BIG guy come at me with a 5 foot long steel digging bar cocked back over his shoulder. Before he even got close enough to hit me with it he had a 1911 pointed dead center of his chest with the safety off and ALL the slack out of the trigger! He got just within range to hit me and stopped. If that bar had even started to move it would have been two center mass and possibly one to the head. It's scary how every little detail of that encounter still stands out so sharp in my mind after all these years.