• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from Missouri says Meat

Meat

Well I lost my first attempt and was almost done.  So,  here I go again.  I was looking at an American trigger and 24" heavy barrel for my DPMS Oracle LR-10 7.62x51/.308 Win to improve my groups.  Some how I ended up on this sight and saw the forum decided to gleam some expertise about whether the  24" heavy barrel would improve my accuracy.  I presently shoot targets at 100, 200, and 300 yards.  Iron out to 650 yards. That's about as long as I can get to around here because that is all I have access to at this time.  I hate those mm's I'm still hard core American and like yards, feet, and other normal measurements  Hope to hear from some of you if I am not to radical about distant nomenclature.

Regards

Welcome from western Wisconsin Meat.

Geissele triggers are number 1 in my book, though I cant say I have much experience with any other good triggers, just some crappy ones. haha.

I would have to disagree with wash about the light profile barrel though. a heavy profile barrel like a bull barrel is what I would do. the thickness would make it stiffer and give it more accuracy, plus heat up less quickly so keep your groups tighter if you are putting enough rounds down range to really heat things up. I do agree on the barrel length he said though. for the distance you are looking at shooting, you don't need a 24 inch barrel. 20 inches is really the max I would do.

wash might be right though in the light profile being better for you, he's a smart guy... though a bit odd. :banana:

also improving your groups might be as simple as shooting a different load, barrels are different and like different things. barrel harmonics can play a bigger part than most people realize. or maybe even more simple yet, making sure you use the basic shooting fundamentals all the time. I know there are times when I just want to shoot holes in poop and don't concentrate on my fundamentals.

wash, you are supposed to shoot the paper, not poke holes in it with a pencil. :lmao:

yeah I know even an anorexic barrel can be accurate, I just think there are things that make bull barrels better choices for most applications. how many rounds did it take for the barrel to get hot and the group to open up like that?

Thanks brothers ! Trooper I was dikkin with sighting in the scope.  just long enough to adjust the windage/elevation...settle back in ,pull the trigger..so the barrel wasnt smokin hot but warm....It doesnt take too many shots on this particular barrel,but I cant really give you the exact number maybe 9/10 rounds im thinkin....using privi 168 match .....the barrel wasnt even broken in..and prolly still isnt broken in, cause I never pulled the trigger on the hunt last year...I had a DPMS super SASS bull barrel  okay thats redundant... crap I had to rent a gun bearer to help carry that thing....but im old  and dried up...thats why I build em light now...8.5 pounds with optics and empty mags is the weight of the twins                    Wash

038.JPG

Edited by washguy

how do you like your Kzone rest? I have a MTM Site-in-clean rest, don't really like the single point height adjustment screw , it only raises the rear , better for cleaning than shooting, but it has good storage, no allowance to add permanent weight. cost a couple of dollars less than a Kzone at Amazon.

71rzITDhmzL._SL1500_.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, washguy said:

Thanks brothers ! Trooper I was dikkin with sighting in the scope.  just long enough to adjust the windage/elevation...settle back in ,pull the trigger..so the barrel wasnt smokin hot but warm....It doesnt take too many shots on this particular barrel,but I cant really give you the exact number maybe 9/10 rounds im thinkin....using privi 168 match .....the barrel wasnt even broken in..and prolly still isnt broken in, cause I never pulled the trigger on the hunt last year...I had a DPMS super SASS bull barrel  okay thats redundant... crap I had to rent a gun bearer to help carry that thing....but im old  and dried up...thats why I build em light now...8.5 pounds with optics and empty mags is the weight of the twins                    Wash

yeah I like to get a lot more rounds down range. and having heavy guns is the only way I get a workout since I am so lazy. lol.

I have used the red plastic thang to do the Laser bore-sighting deal with the LR308 upper and scope, works okay out to 30 , 50 yards any longer distance needs a nice cloudy day like today for me to see the El-Cheapo 308, 243 cartridge case Laser. I am gonna try a sheet of aluminum foil with a bullseye drawn on it and see how that works for the M1A.

• 4 weeks later...