• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A humble suggestion

Sisco

While this is primarily a 308AR Forum, and the best one on the web, a number of us also have 30 caliber service rifles, like the M1 Garand, or the M1A Springfield M14 clone. While there are other Forums specializing in them, how about a section on here for us to talk about them? Just a humble suggestion.

Wait a minute assules can check themselves at the door! I would like to learn more about the rifes as they are a peice of history and modern ways are up and coming! 

We have a good rep for knowledge why limit ourselve because some dimwit wont speak to the truth! Let the idiots figure it out and let me learn! 

2 c spent. 

What say we just start an Service rifle thread under "Rifles"? Any of us can start that, and it won't be real prominent and we can keep the conversation a little less high profile. As far as keeping the trolls out, we got some masters at doing that, so I won't be too worried about that problem. 

Several times I have posted about M1Garands and more lately on my new M1A NM that I have finally bought(I had a $2400 windfall that was a surprise.

As a result I started feeling like I was injecting too much about the M1A, here on the 308ar.com site.  That feeling made me play the devils advocate when Sisco suggested  starting a new Garand-M14-M1A forum for the site. I was negatively positioned in my posting, and do regret that action.

I am all for whatever you do in this line. Thanks

On 11/8/2016 at 10:03 AM, mrmackc said:

Several times I have posted about M1Garands and more lately on my new M1A NM that I have finally bought(I had a $2400 windfall that was a surprise.

As a result I started feeling like I was injecting too much about the M1A, here on the 308ar.com site.  That feeling made me play the devils advocate when Sisco suggested  starting a new Garand-M14-M1A forum for the site. I was negatively positioned in my posting, and do regret that action.

I am all for whatever you do in this line. Thanks

Man I am going to respect you for stating your opinion if I agree with it or not! If we all agr:thumbup:eed on everything we would be bored out of our skulls.

Sisco, Thanks and I have a great deal of respect for the regulars here, yes I don't always agree with their positions, but agreeing is different than respect, have a great weekend. I got my new scope and Bassett mount  on the new M1A. Pictures coming soon, I was shooting for a lowest position for the scope.

I mounted the Bushnell 4x18 308BDC scope number 2 on the M1A NM rifle. I used a Bassett low Pickatinny mount and Weaver TAC 1" Medium rings. I wanted a good low scope mount. This si as low as I could go, I only have .020" clearance below the protruding  shaft of the scope and .030 between the rear sight and the scope.  I have a Xhigh set of rings that will give me an extra 0.28" clearance. I didn't have the ring screws tightened down all the way for the pictures.

412932175.jpg

412932176.jpg

I also took a picture of my DPMS LR308 with #1 Bushnell 4x18 308BCD scope with Burris rings

412932173.jpg

21 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Nice! Shepp can we move this to the Service Rifle Thread? Man that looks really nice. Did you have to take off the stripper clip guide to attach the Basset Scope mount?

No the stripper clip need not be removed,  the Bassett mount has steel rods embedded in shallow groves in the mount and they fit in the horizontal and vertical groves in the receiver, the single screw is tightened to just the right amount of torque with a supplied small wrench that uses the weight of the rifle to torque the screw. The mount is easily removed and reattached and as long as the scope is left mounted to the mount it can be reattached using the special wrench without losing your zero.

I am sorry I haven't found the service rifle thread. 

2 hours ago, mrmackc said:

No the stripper clip need not be removed,  the Bassett mount has steel rods embedded in shallow groves in the mount and they fit in the horizontal and vertical groves in the receiver, the single screw is tightened to just the right amount of torque with a supplied small wrench that uses the weight of the rifle to torque the screw. The mount is easily removed and reattached and as long as the scope is left mounted to the mount it can be reattached using the special wrench without losing your zero.

I am sorry I haven't found the service rifle thread. 

It's a sub of the rifle section yes I'll move it