• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help needed in Eastern NC

thencelders

Hello, new member here with my first AR 10, this the quote from gunbroker where I purchased it "Custom Matrix-Aerospace AR-10 Rifle Matrix Aerospace custom Upper & Lower receiver. Barrel match 16” Armalite 7.62 MM NATO CR-MO CL 1x11.25 Matching Armalite bolt carrier CMMG Lower Parts kit MK3, 308 15 Round Armalite magazine Armalite free floating forearm. Armalite Flash Hider ATI Stock and hand grip"   Now my problem is the rifle refuses to cock after firing..it feeds, fires, extracts, ejects, feeds, and nothing.  I can manually cock with charging handle without ejecting the new round.  Then it fires, and same thing happens again.  I pulled the CMMG lower parts kit and installed the Velocity 4 lb steel case trigger and an ambidextrous safety lever and its acts the same when dry fired.  If the trigger is pulled, the hammer does not reset, if the trigger is released, the hammer resets.  Can this be  a bolt issue?  It's the only thing that touches the hammer, could the grip screw be too long and mess up the trigger?  Help!  Thanks in advance.

By the way, 20 year Marine vet,  Aviation Ordnance at the Intermediate level, worked on the big guns for all Marine Aircraft and now just working on mine.  

pix900051321.jpg

Welcome from Indiana brother and THANK YOU for your service. I had a similar problem with my Aero M5 and realized that if I pushed the trigger forward a touch it reset. Aero upper had a Nickle Boron BCG. I think it was a tolerance stacking issue as I continued shooting it went away. Just my 2 mags. I thinks it the new parts blues. Lube it good and hammer away.

Welcome from Iowa, via Pensacola!

Saw that weapon on Gunbroker, I have a Matrix upper and lower, upper has ArmaLite threads. I'll try my Matrix lower with my Armalite upper when I get home at Christmas time. I shoot my build with P-mags, never thought to try the metal Armalite mags.Will it lock the bolt back manually and on the last round?

Edited by jtallen83
not enough coffee before posting......

You can manually cycle the Charging Handle & not extract the Cartridge already in the Chamber ? That's odd .

Not sure about the Armalite Mag's in the Matrix Receivers , but I believe they should lock back the BCG on last round fired , its a good test to see if the BCG is coming back far enough to completely reset the FCG on firing cycle .Try a different brand Mag. , if you can , I have no experience with Armalite products , so someone who has a Matrix set can speak up on what mags to use , but pretty sure Matrix can use DPMS /SR25 type mags .

One other thing you can look into is the Safety , even though you changed it , it still may have tolerance stacking issue with the Matrix Receiver . Try a Different Mag & see if it passes the lock back check & we can discuss the Safety further if need be .

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 6:50 AM, jtallen83 said:

Saw that weapon on Gunbroker, I have a Matrix upper and lower, upper has ArmaLite threads. I'll try my Matrix lower with my Armalite upper when I get home at Christmas time. I shoot my build with P-mags, never thought to try the metal Armalite mags

Just tested the fit between my Armalite and Matrix receivers, nothing plays together. The Armalite mags will not fit in the mag well of the Matrix, neither upper will swap with either lower. It appears the only thing Armalite pattern on my Matrix receiver set are the barrel nut threads. You evidently have a real "custom" rifle.

Since the rifle doesn't extract the new round in the chamber that the feeding of the new round is using up so much of the buffer spring energy that the bolt is not locking closed. and the extractor isn't grabbing the partially chambered round,  first I would really lube the BCG paying attention to the bolt and the cam pin. Then change the magazine. 

I'd really start looking at ALL the parts in that build, that someone else smashed together - the big indicator that "things aren't exactly right" is the AR15 carry handle on a large-frame AR.  Who knows what else is slapped in there, all over the place. 

• 7 months later...

Well, thanks for all the input guys, I got some help with it at Stumpy's Custom Guns in Swansboro NC.  Turns out that they milled a couple thousands off of the inside of the bolt carrier.  It functions perfect now, I do like the Velocity trigger and have one in a long range AR-15 with a 24 inch bull barrel.  As to the small carry handle, I have looked for the AR-10 model and have yet to find one.  It shoots accurate out to 150 yards which is all I have to work with at my friends' farm.  Too many trees and brush in eastern NC.  Sorry it took so long to follow up.  Keep your powder fellows, you never know when we might need it.   Tony