• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Vortex owners

I'm going to be ordering a 16" Live Free Armory here in the next couple of weeks and I'd greatly appreciate any input on Vortex.  I have been very happy with Nikons on various rifles from muzzleloaders to a few different bolts to a couple of AR's.  No reason to leave Nikon really they hold zero great and I beat the crap out of them they just keep on ripping.  That said I have watched Vortex owners locally and both my friends love theirs. Seem to have a warranty as good as Nikon maybe better I don't know they have not had to use it.  I think my excuse will be I just like to try new stuff and after looking through my friend's 6.5-20 I was shocked at the clarity.

Almost exclusively hog hunting, but this could become my deer rifle by next fall.  Any specific models you'd recommend?  I don't spend much time on benches under cover I hunt in the rain, stuff gets banged around etc.  Long shot would be ~250 at a coyote in a field, most stuff ~ 100.  6x is not a bother to me even as close as say 80 yards, but I'm wondering if I might just do the 6-18 vs the 6.5-20 it was a lot less $.  

Would be grateful for any input from your Vortex shooters thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Vortex makes good stuff I own 3 or 4 strikefires and have never had a issue also own a few of the magnifiers they work great also own a diamondback scope on my LR308 it has been drenched dropped and neglected and not a problem of any kind ..their binos in the HD versions are astounding...

• 1 month later...

Just shot the 6-24x50 for the first time. It will take some time to shoot tight groups but was in a rush to get it on paper? White paper at 100yds 147 gn pmc at 6 power.  Splatter targets at 100yds 6 power 168 atomic match grd. They were showing the range and there were other shooter so i was in a hurry but pretty stoked on the clarity! 

IMG_5449.JPG

IMG_5450.JPG

15 minutes ago, Tripledeuce said:

If you have a 24X scope,  Why shoot groups at 6X??

Honest question

Respectfully

Terry

Didnt have time for the most part and first shots to hit paper. When i have more time i hope to do a better representation of this set up! 

Well i did a little better with ok ammo but was still rushed.. dialed up to 18x for this round(s) im ok with that but can do better me thinks. Im bringing better ammo next time! 

100 yds 9 rnds left target

right target 6 rnds can on. 

Major poi change with can on .. my cross hair was 45' angle from bull. edge of circle top left!  

im a fan of the trigger yankies!?

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

On 1/12/2017 at 8:50 PM, Magwa said:

Vortex makes good stuff I own 3 or 4 strikefires and have never had a issue also own a few of the magnifiers they work great also own a diamondback scope on my LR308 it has been drenched dropped and neglected and not a problem of any kind ..their binos in the HD versions are astounding...

What about spotting scopes ... do they make any of those?

I'm looking for a good spotting scope that will allow me to actually see .223 rounds in a target at a minimum of 100 yards.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have a spotting scope, just a basic one from Cabela's 20-60 and its just ok. Trying to find room on the table next to your setup,lining it up on target, then you bump it and have to reacquire. Was getting a little frustrated with the whole thing and using/wearing glasses was a PITA. Last few times I grabbed a set of binos and was happy with that. For me it was easier and quicker. The best setup by far is this ; http://bullseyecamera.com/   for the price of a good spotting scope. Just my 2 mags.

3 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

I have a spotting scope, just a basic one from Cabela's 20-60 and its just ok. Trying to find room on the table next to your setup,lining it up on target, then you bump it and have to reacquire. Was getting a little frustrated with the whole thing and using/wearing glasses was a PITA. Last few times I grabbed a set of binos and was happy with that. For me it was easier and quicker. The best setup by far is this ; http://bullseyecamera.com/   for the price of a good spotting scope. Just my 2 mags.

I had considered binos and that is very likely what I will use.  I go to a public outdoor range and they provide spotting scopes but they barely work at 25 yards ... LOL

This bullseye camera looks like a great idea but at that range it's likely to get shot even if it's on the ground.  Very attractive idea though.

Edited by GRA

4 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

I might get it in the future. I would get some 3/8" plate and weld it in a "V" and put it in front of the camera tp prevent it from being shot. "Their are no problems just solutions".

Yes I agree your idea IS viable.  Problem out here is you occasionally get one or two shooters that shoot the targets of the shooters next to them, which is why I always ask to be placed on an end.  Cuts the risk of that by 50%.