• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's (straight shooter) bench rest

sketch

Give me some wood and ill build you a cabinet! I love this idea! Thank you Tom! My local range will be getting some new rests! If it supports and provides users as simple as it is a great idea! Im doing work with wood with a smile !! Put this together (x4)  in an hour. 

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5368.JPG

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

IMG_5375.JPG

Not sure on the plasti dip/ spray combined with heat??  Looking at heat barrier alternatives? Maybe a fireplace smoke seal, gotta keep the cost down if they want more..!

thought is someone will put a hot barrel on there and cause damage or worse.. public is what it is!

Let 'em burn it up.  That plasti-dip shiit will stick to their barrel, and do more harm to it than the wood.

Let Darwin take over...  :lmao:

Anyone resting their actual BARREL in the rest needs lessons, anyway.  Darwin can teach 'em. :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

• 10 months later...
29 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Can you off-center it some so that it can give different shooting heights for different people depending on which direction it is turned?

This is something I thought about too. Depending on where you place it, you should be able to get four different heights just by rotating the block.

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I forgot about this idea.  I may build a few for my shooting area. 

What are the dimensions of the wood? 

Did you center the 4X4 in the plywood? 

Can you off-center it some so that it can give different shooting heights for different people depending on which direction it is turned?

4x4 centers, 12" wide.  I have some that are 15" wide, and it's a little better.  12x12 plywood sides, 3/4" stuff.  Place the edge of the 4x4 2" in from one plywood edge, and 3" in from another edge.  Lock it down with long wood screws.  I put 2 wood screws in each side, into the 4x4, so it won't ever rotate in the plywood sides. 

By going 2" in and 3" in, that gives you multiple shooting heights, just by rotating it.  I put cheap carpet around the 4x4 on mine. Roman upped the ante by cutting the centering groove - that's slick!

Edited by 98Z5V

• 4 months later...
On 1/6/2018 at 7:08 AM, mrmackc said:

Actually in the pictures I saw, it looks like the resting post IS off centered to allow different heights of rest.

correct the rest rotates to give you diferent heights. next time i do this i will do different numbers like 3 and 5 I  get a 3/4" variant from the two low / or two high..  the overall is 9" to 5" ish?they stack nice! 

20180602_185029.jpg

On 1/6/2018 at 6:33 AM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I forgot about this idea.  I may build a few for my shooting area. 

What are the dimensions of the wood? 

Did you center the 4X4 in the plywood? 

for the plywood cut a square at 11-3/4" and you will make the most of your full size ply minuse the blade for the cut.. most 4x4 is a tad longer but measure twice cut once?