• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Extended handguard for a Gen2 AP4

Hello everyone.

I've been trying to find any info about swapping out the handguard on my AP4 for an extended handguard. DPMS says "accepts more 2 piece MSR handguards than previous LR-308." which of course means nothing when you're trying to get one. 

I've only gotten to punch paper so far with it, but I will be using it for hunting, and would like the extra reach to stabilize. In Oregon, I don't think I'm going to shoot out past 200-300 yards, on the outside, as it's pretty dense hunting terrain. Most shots will be within 200, so I will be using my IS or my scope, when I get one, on 1x-2x for most of my shots. A bipod or a forgrip may come into the picture down the line, but for now, I'd just like to reach a bit further down the barrel. Any ideas or suggestions? The pic is when I just brought her home, about 6 months ago. Definitely going to change the handgrip too!

IMG_9328.JPG

Edited by ChaoticReason
Forgot a sentence.

This is what I was thinking to install: http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-model4-superslim-drop-in-handguard.html

Just didn't know if anyone had any experience with something like this. Didn't know if this, meant for AR 15s, would work on my 308, as it says that the Gen 2's do work with many AR 15 handguards

10 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Well , if you don't mind replacing the Front sight /Gas Block , with a micro Gas Block , there are many HG 's out there , as long as they are for a 308AR , DPMS type w/ low profile Rail . 

This is for a G2 I believe...So a 308AR hanguard is not what he wants. 

7 hours ago, ChaoticReason said:

This is what I was thinking to install: http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-model4-superslim-drop-in-handguard.html

Just didn't know if anyone had any experience with something like this. Didn't know if this, meant for AR 15s, would work on my 308, as it says that the Gen 2's do work with many AR 15 handguards

Not really enough G2s on the forum to be able to answer this, but it should work out if DPMS says the gun will take standard drop-in rails. Not sure how optics planets return policy is. Maybe see if you can find the same handguard on Amazon? I know it's pretty easy to send stuff back to them if it doesn't fit.

That would be a nice looking setup.

Edited by blue109

The AP4 GenII uses standard AR15 handguards.... but still has a proprietary barrel but.

I have two suggestions;

1. Just remove the plastic handguards and replace with a VLTOR CASV system. You can buy the extended version, which wraps around the FSGB. 

2. Remove the delta ring assembly, and separate the barrel nut from the assembly. Use the barrel but with an Apex CNC extended handguard. 

Both are extremely sturdy systems. 

Thank you gentlemen. That's a great idea about Amazon! I will definitely check them out. And yes, what I was thinking about would use the existing delta ring and handguard cap. Just didn't know if the size was the same and if anyone had any experience with it. Here is a pic of the guard I was thinking of using. They even have the measurements! If I have to do a bit of metal work to make it work, it seems like it would only be minor. 

IMG_3151.PNG

IMG_3152.PNG

I missed the GII on the title . You have what looks like an MBUS for a rear sight , having an MBUS for the front on a longer Hand Guard with rail would give you a much longer sight radius  & more accuracy with the IS , just an idea . 

Edited by survivalshop

^^^  With iron sights, you're on the same vertical plane with your shot placement.  That horizontal spread is all sight picture, or trigger squeeze.  I'd bet on sight picture, 'cause with irons, it's difficult to keep that tiny target in the exact same place on that front sight post.

On another note - how wide is a deer, or a man's chest?  You have all critical shots there, on that target.

Thanks a lot Sketch. But where I will be hunting in Oregon, that would be way more magnification than I would ever be able to use. Its lowest setting would be about the max. I was actually looking into getting one from Primary Arms when I can afford it: http://www.primaryarms.com/pa1-6x24sfp-acss-5-56

I probably won't be shooting out past 250 yards. Lots of trees and cover. Here's a pic of the reticle on the scope I want. 

IMG_2330.PNG

54 minutes ago, ChaoticReason said:

Thanks a lot Sketch. But where I will be hunting in Oregon, that would be way more magnification than I would ever be able to use. Its lowest setting would be about the max. I was actually looking into getting one from Primary Arms when I can afford it: http://www.primaryarms.com/pa1-6x24sfp-acss-5-56

I probably won't be shooting out past 250 yards. Lots of trees and cover. Here's a pic of the reticle on the scope I want. 

IMG_2330.PNG

Same one I plan on getting for my "truck gun" but in .300/7.62x39

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone,

I know it's been awhile since I've been on here. Things have been chaotic to say the least.

Firstly, I've moved from Oregon to Wisconsin. Talk about a world of difference. The great news is that there is a very large white tail population here, and hunting is fantastic! This was in a week. None of them where mine, as I showed up at the tail end of things. But there is another week going on from today till New Years day, so I will be able to hopefully get to fill up my freezer some before the year ends.

Also on the good news front, I got to find out if that handguard I originally posted about would fit. It does! I also got to put on that Primary arms scope, a minimalist stock, and an Indian Creek Blast Forwarding Device. I have an amazing wife who let me get my Christmas presents early! She knew that I'd have to sight everything in before the season. I'm a very blessed man.  ;)

Hopefully I won't be as much of a stranger on here. I look forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to.

Merry Christmas to all.

Wisconsin 2017 094.JPG

Wisconsin batch 038.jpg

Wisconsin batch 040.jpg