• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR .308 NooB's 1st attempt at a precision rifle build.

BK.RD.RNR

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

Although, I believe the OP has some milling equipment/skill, so ugly welding can be covered up pretty easily. 

Actually, that jig/ kit is so good, it was all done with 3 drill bits, 1 bit collar, an end mill, a router, and a small drill press (a medium sized press would be easier). It is (nearly) idiot proof. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, BK.RD.RNR said:

Can anyone suggest a vendor/ manufacturer for an upper parts kit for the dpms gen 1 uppers?

Not necessarily concerned with the bcg yet, unless there is a high quality kit with a top quality bcg that comes with it.

Thanks in advance.

Click on the Brownells link near the top of the page, they should have all the options you need. They also have a chat feature so you can ask questions if compatibility isn't clear in the description.

• 9 months later...

Hello All,

It's been a while since I checked in here.

The rifle has been built out, and is putting out sub 1" groups at 100 yds with HPBT, but not match grade ammo, and me at the controls. I am pretty happy with that, and going to be doing some testing with a selection match grade ammo to see what gives me the best groups. 

I am starting to go about making some changes to improve shootability. 

I remembered a sponsor here that did heavy buffers/ springs, but now I just get a brownells link.

Can anyone suggest a top quality supplier? If they have the "silent" springs too, that would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

19 minutes ago, BK.RD.RNR said:

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered.

I'm hoping this mod, along with the Diamond head USA muzzle break will help keep the reticle on target for easier follow up shots.

A heavier buffer doesn’t always equal keeping the rifle on target. The extra weight coming to a stop on the forward part of the cycle will move your sites. Most of the 3 gun crowd runs low reciprocating mass builds to help them with faster follow up shots.

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

A heavier buffer doesn’t always equal keeping the rifle on target. The extra weight coming to a stop on the forward part of the cycle will move your sites. Most of the 3 gun crowd runs low reciprocating mass builds to help them with faster follow up shots.

Interesting consideration.. I'm not really looking for "that" kind of faster follow up shot. 

The set up I have now has so much recoil that it completely knocks me off target. I think my Ruger bolt action .270 has much more shoulder kick, but seems to get back on target much easier.. May be that's just my perception as I have not shot them back to back..

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I know I have not checked in here very frequently, I apologize. 

I just wanted to take a minute to thank all of you who offered suggestions and guidance on my build. 

I was doing some ammo testing at the range today, I had a bunch of sub 1" groups, and I think I probably put together my personal best 100 yd group ever. 

Subtracting the diameter of the bullet, I am figuring 5 rounds fell into .8", 4 of those falling into .42", and it was a bit windy today. 

I intend (of course) to go back and try to duplicate results, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

Remington 168Gr Match King BTHP. Single sandbag rest.

20181111_184941.jpg

• 1 month later...

Spent some time at the range today.

The gun seems to like the Sierra Match King 168 grain BTHP bullets the best. I still can't decide on the Fedral Premium, or the Remington Premium. Federals gave me the best 5 shot groups today, but when I average the 4 and 3 round groups, the Remington outperforms them. 

I put together a few nice groups today, but I think this one is the best. .78" at 100yds.

20181223_173922.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Got to the range for a few hours today. Got my .223 Wylde "other" sighted in. Pretty happy with how that build came out. Then pulled out "Old Faithful". 

200yds was very predictable. Spot on as expected. Started shooting at 400 with my buddy calling hit locations. "Low, low, low, low, low" everything, even with up to 9 mils adjustment on the elevation knob. ... I notice it's wiggling, as I pull upward on it, it comes completely off the scope! Whatever threaded brass piece that keeps it connected, has broken. 

So once I realized that (after wasting a dozen, maybe 20 rounds), I decided to do some calculations, and attempt a hold off with the reticle. .. "Looked like you were right behind it, must have been off to the side." ... "Hit!, nice shot!" "Hit!, Hit!"  ...3 consecutive hits at 400yds(!), I'm done. I'm going to send the scope back to Vortex, and end on a high note. 

Happy Memorial Day weekend. Thank You to those who have/ do serve, and especially, Thank You to those who gave all.

20190526_151116.jpg

20190526_184253.jpg