• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Feed issue

9924v

Hey guys

New here but not to hunting.

I'm a first time owner of a ar. So I pick rra lar8. It's cool.killed a few yoties. But when it cycles the noise of the seconed and fourth round gets messed up. I don't plan on shooting crap ammo.its a hunting gun for deer and dogs. So I only shoot soft point. My choice this year is a 150 partition from federal.the first round loads like butter.the second gets beat to hell. Therd loads fine.fouth gets beat to hell. And so on. It looks to be pushing to far to the right when in grabs the second and fourth round. Any ideas? I'm only worried because it looks to be a factor in my grouping. Single shot it's 1moa. Put a clip threw and you start to get 3moa. Same ammo. It's hade ppu150, winchester150,federal partition150. It's beats the second and fourth round to hell  no matter what.

Same issue no matter the mag.fmj is good because it's a solid tip. It still bust up the nose a little. You can see where it hits on the side of the breach.see the small grayish spot right by the chamber next to the spec of brass.thats where it hits.

15116652609932096386439.jpg

Anyone catch the use of softpoint ammo? I’ve never had issues myself but I’ve always read head soft point is a no no in these guns? Could that be an issue or am I just rambling 

also 9924 welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about yourself in the intro section

I use softpoint ammo with no problems in cycling in more than one rifle....but I mostly use metal mags...with metal mags you can tweak the lips of the mag to change the position of how it sits in the mag and most important the angle of the bullet....

let me know if you use metal mags?      Wash

heres a vid of adjusting the lips...get you a feed lip tool or you will fubar your mag ..brownells has em...this guy is a bit anal but he is showing what you can do.....I raise my front lips a tad giving the projectile an upward facing angle as to where it hardly touches the feed ramp if at all                 

this is a better pic of how your projectiles should look in the mag     :laffs:

image.thumb.png.2ad8cbf307e78799946a9eb91b624e5b.png

the angle is right on

Edited by washguy

Great! I'll for sure look at metal mags

I run rra Polly. Any just absolutely devastating polly tip rounds you guys run? I love the partition for the fact it goes threw trees and still kills. I run hornady stbt 180 with 56gr of powder in my bolt gun.drops any thing I touch. But they don't hold up to great on large animals.elk moose.iv never ran any poly tips.my buddies do but there not as in to accuracy with devastating power like me.i hate to trail my animal. It's idaho no utah.hits why I use a .30 cal on coyote. But this gun stays in my truck 24/7. So it has the possibility of taking out cougar elk or deer.so I need a round that will turn a elk shoulder to soup, yet feed like a pro.im gonna by a new mag a work it like washguy stated.

7 hours ago, 9924v said:

I run rra Polly. Any just absolutely devastating polly tip rounds you guys run? I love the partition for the fact it goes threw trees and still kills. I run hornady stbt 180 with 56gr of powder in my bolt gun.drops any thing I touch. But they don't hold up to great on large animals.elk moose.iv never ran any poly tips.my buddies do but there not as in to accuracy with devastating power like me.i hate to trail my animal. It's idaho no utah.hits why I use a .30 cal on coyote. But this gun stays in my truck 24/7. So it has the possibility of taking out cougar elk or deer.so I need a round that will turn a elk shoulder to soup, yet feed like a pro.im gonna by a new mag a work it like washguy stated.

Try out some Barnes TSX or TTSX projectiles - I'd bet you like them.  :thumbup:

15 hours ago, 9924v said:

When I was white tail hunting I used Winchester max bonded, bear I stepped up to those Barnes 98 mentioned for a bigger wound 

Ok guys so again today I was reminded of another problem. I missed a deer today and AGAIN my dust cover hinders proper ejection and feed. Only if the cover is shut. Any fixes or tweak this...

Another question I have is my stock adjusts two ways.one of which allows access to the "battery storage"in the butt of the rifle. The butt has a few spots of adjustment. I assume it's to allow a shooter to raise the the gun/cheek rest for a better shot and feel. Like I said before I'm new to the AR  so be easy on me.

The miss was all me not the gun for any people in question.

3 hours ago, 9924v said:

Ok guys so again today I was reminded of another problem. I missed a deer today and AGAIN my dust cover hinders proper ejection and feed. Only if the cover is shut. Any fixes or tweak this...

Another question I have is my stock adjusts two ways.one of which allows access to the "battery storage"in the butt of the rifle. The butt has a few spots of adjustment. I assume it's to allow a shooter to raise the the gun/cheek rest for a better shot and feel. Like I said before I'm new to the AR  so be easy on me.

The miss was all me not the gun for any people in question.

With an unloaded rifle ,When you manually charge the action with the Ejection Port cover closed , does it pop right open when retracting the BCG ?

The BCG opens that Port Cover , so unless its sticking closed some how when the BCG is retracting , it should not be hindering your Ejection. 

And you really don't need the Ejection Port Cover , it can be removed if its causing an issue , which is odd .

It flys open and will work great if I manually cycle a clip. Evin if i close it after every pull of the handle. Closed with no clip I can rip it and it flys open. Go hot and close the door it acts up.

I like it there for the fact it keeps some junk out of the chamber and bolt area. It's gets exposed to all four seasons so any aid to help keep junk out is good.

10 hours ago, 9924v said:

It flys open and will work great if I manually cycle a clip. Evin if i close it after every pull of the handle. Closed with no clip I can rip it and it flys open. Go hot and close the door it acts up.

I like it there for the fact it keeps some junk out of the chamber and bolt area. It's gets exposed to all four seasons so any aid to help keep junk out is good.

Sounds like its working fine , the Port cover opens before the case is completely out of the Chamber . Most Hunting rifles of all type , have no cover on the Ejection Port . 

It is possible that the Port Cover is interfering with BCG travel & slowing it down enough to cause a Ejection issue , if its too tight & too hard to open . I'm not sure if one of the Strike Industries Port Covers would work on your  LAR 8 , but there's have an adj. for the Ball Detent that holds the Cover in place when covering the Port .

https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/products/rifle-accessories/ultimate-dust-cover-for-308.html

Ok. I like the customised ones.

I will have to check it out. I may send it out to a gun Smith to work it over.its not worth my time to buy all the tools for a one time project. Switch hand guard and put a sling stud on it and a new cover with a sweet logo is all I'm looking for.

I did some more shooting with 150gr soft point.still chewed up my tips.still haven't got my spare mags.It was dead on. It seems to like the 150gr. Despite the reviews I read. 

Well done magwa! My season just ended for deer. We have late elk but that's for archery and muzzle loader.

I'm gonna do some test in the off season and see what I come up with. Between the new mags and the bullet choices I hope to come up with a flawless setup. I really want to put a elk up and a few deer with this thing.