• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

best budget trigger?

commanderjjones

I finally got my Oracle together and shot it for the first time yesterday. I had read several reviews talking about how bad the factory trigger was, so that was no surprise and I had anticipated ordering an upgrade. On the bright side and despite the crappy trigger, I was still able to pull off a 5 shot group of less than 2" at 200 yards with Federal Premium 168 grain Sierra Match King BTHP's. IMO, not too shabby for a 16" barrel and sketchy trigger.

Yeah, I know you typically get what you pay for, but this is a budget build that I really do NOT want to spend $250 for a Timney (etc...), so what is a good "budget" trigger (preferably 2 stage) that won't break the bank? Looking for some options to start the shopping process. 

Thanks guys.

10 minutes ago, mineralman55 said:

.....(the feel of which are something akin to dragging two bricks across each other.)

Yeah, it was pretty bad......on the verge of horrific. I was astounded that I was able to get it to group as good as I did.

On a different note......it did NOT like feeding the SIerra BTHP bullets. I shot 40 rounds of cheap 147gr FMJ's with no issues. Then I shot 40 rounds of the Sierra Match Kings and had 5 or 6 misfeeds. Any thoughts on that? I wonder if polishing the feed ramp would help?

3 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

How much lube did you use? It’s possible that it was drying up after your first rounds. These rifles need to be wet until broken in

No lube, other than what was there from the factory. Yeah, I'm an AR rookie.

So you think that was likely to be the problem?

I'm gonna clean and lube it, then take it back to the range this weekend.

It's not a "budget" trigger, but the LaRue MBT can regularly be found on sale for $99.

I just purchased my fifth MBT, and have given a couple to friends. Even a buddy who is a Geissele freak says he'd put it up against most of Geissele's line any day of the week.

Edited by COBrien

11 minutes ago, COBrien said:

It's not a "budget" trigger, but the LaRue MBT can regularly be found on sale for $99.

I just purchased my fifth MBT, and have given a couple to friends. Even a buddy who is a Geissele freak says he'd put it up against most of Geissele's line any day of the week.

Is that a 2 stage.....or do they offer one for that price?

26 minutes ago, COBrien said:

After some reading, I just placed an order for the LaRue. Sounds like a good trigger, especially for the money. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, commanderjjones said:

Is that a 2 stage.....or do they offer one for that price?

58 minutes ago, commanderjjones said:

After some reading, I just placed an order for the LaRue. Sounds like a good trigger, especially for the money. Thanks for the tip!

Just for clarification (mostly for anyone reading this thread later), yes, the MBT is a 2-stage.

I love it just as it comes out of the can -- with the 3.5#(ish) pull. It also comes with a 4.5#(ish) spring, which I have installed in my wife's patrol rifle. Still a clean, crisp break, just a bit more weight, suitable for a duty rifle.

You're welcome. The guys around here talked me into an MBT last year, so I feel the need to perpetuate the cycle. Lol!

3 hours ago, commanderjjones said:

No lube, other than what was there from the factory. Yeah, I'm an AR rookie.

So you think that was likely to be the problem?

I'm gonna clean and lube it, then take it back to the range this weekend.

That is a definite clue!! They don’t come lubed usually but may be packed in grease for long term storage. Clean that stuff off really well. Then with the lube of your choice, lube the bcg thoroughly, the buffer tube lightly, and lightly lube the inside of the receiver. Do NOT lube the chamber or the bolt face. Keep her wet during break in. That may be any where from 200-400 rds. After everything is worn in you can back it off a bit.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been putting Hiperfire EDT triggers in all my builds now.   I order from Joe Bob's & get the 5% discount (for all L.E., Military/vets & 1st responders)  knocks the price down to $90 & you get free shipping with that.  I'm especially partial to the Designated Marksman version.  I usually add in one of their ambi safety selectors too.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Aftermarket-AR-15-Triggers-s/132846.htm#/filter:manufacturer:Hiperfire/sort:ss_price:asc

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO-AR-15-Ambidextrous-Safety-Selector-p/jb-ambi-safety.htm

• 6 months later...

Ok, after reading all this, I decided to go with the LaRue mbt 2s... now I'm trying to figure out what all the "2 stage" hype is... it says this thing is 2.5 then 2# for a total of 4.5#... honestly sitting here and I can not for the life if me tell the difference between it and my ALG ACT, thats had some rounds set off... they both have a light "creep", a wall, then bang... 

I'll be the first to admit I have never run a 2 stage in my life other than my muzzle loaders "set trigger, hair trigger" lol,  but I was expecting something noticeablely different... 

Don't get me wrong, both are crisp and break clean with no travel once you hit "the wall"... 

But side by side other than the ACT being just a slight (very slight" bit heavier. I can not tell the difference,  am I missing something here???

Edited by roach0415

• 9 months later...

I honestly really love my cheap velocity drop in. No idea if they even make them anymore, but they were the ones making rebranded 3.5# drop ins for a bunch of different companies. Same family that makes timney. I had issues with it setting off milsurp 7.62 primers on some crusty old ammo I bought so it threw it in a 5.56 gun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, spent some time with Geissele about any options to increase the weight of the break. They stated that the SSA spring swap wouldn't make a noticeable change on break weight. So, a different trigger is on its way.

I love the feel of the SSA-E, but the light break requires too much focus for me to control when sending a round takes place. Will test the SSA-E and the replacement to see which works best for me.