• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Here

supertux1

Hello, I am new here. 

I've been lurking for awhile but thought now would be a good time take the plunge and start researching and building my own large frame AR, for bench rest target practice and hunting.

I am mostly interested in long range precision shooting with the ability to quickly switch to different targets at different unknown distances.

I am kind of a math nerd, so I love external ballistics and all the variables that go into putting shots on target in a variety of conditions. 

My goal is to be able to quickly calculate elevation and windage adjustments for any target within the range of my rifle, without external aids, and put multiple shots on target.

I can do this with 5.56, but I'd like to reach out more...

Welcome! Just listen to 98’s and Matt C’s advice they will take you out as far as you want to go.

Saw a slogan: “What makes snipers so deadly is not the size of their gun, it’s that they have been able to weaponize Math” Need a T Shirt that says that.

Edited by Sisco

21 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Welcome, tux. How far you wanna go? 

To extend the this question, how far can you go in terms of practicality? I've been messing with this platform for just shy of 10 years, and only within the last 2-3 years have been able to shoot long distance venues.

Having an 1800-yard gun won't be much fun if you only have 300-400 yard shooting venues.