• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

Double gun powder

different double dry hopped ipa, more hop bitter than usual but mellowed as I got used to it, a little boozy, sweet honey and herbal tea with citrus 

after 7 days sober and 52 hours of work it went down well 

D9A3B797-E924-4C4A-899F-48FBBE00BB0E.jpeg

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

That brewery in Dorchester sure brews a lot of different companies beer. They do a great job though!

We have a brewery like that too it’s like a co-op. Say you got a brewery but don’t have the ability to can instead of making that giant leap and going tits up if it don’t work you can brew there and have it all packaged and shipped out for distro. They also do Collabs with breweries across the nation.

Tropical Burn DIPA from Firetrucker Brewery in Ankeny, IA. Tropical fruit aroma with a hint of malt. Has a very malt forward taste with some light caramel. There is some mangoish flavor with a hint of citrus. Finish is a dry, peppery bitter, not overwhelming bitter just a touch. Not what I expected but very pleasant and refreshing. I will be trying to find more from this brewery for sure!

IMG_1724.thumb.jpg.8e1521b8fc83672216692a7c8f0721f4.jpg

King Sue DIPA by Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Aromas of ripe orange, mango, pineapple, just a tropical citrus bomb. Flavor follows the aroma but heavy on the orange and pineapple. Just huge on citrus flavor all the way through with a mild pithy dry at the finish. Nice creamy mouthfeel with a subtle oily feel. A VERY good DIPA!

IMG_1726.thumb.jpg.f131ebe62997f7738e10b2b79210ef0f.jpg

Grand Cru Maple bourbon barrel aged stout and barley wine style ale from Evil Twin Brewing by Dorchester Brewing Co in Boston, MA. Aroma is a boozy maple with a hint of raisin. Has that raisiny dried fruit flavor with a good dose of maple. Plenty of boozy bourbon start to finish with hints of toffee caramel. The warmer it gets the more barley wine notes you taste. A very smooth brew, boozy but no real burn from the 12.5% ABV, does warm the tummy though!

IMG_1763.thumb.jpg.2419e2ad12ccffafa83d17053c19479f.jpg

Hoppen-Daz Mango Milkshake IPA from Bur Oak Brewing in Columbia, MO. I smell fresh cantaloupe, a hint of citrus, and a general tropical fruit note. Ripe mango is in the flavor big time. Notes of citrus, pine and a little dank. There is also a malty backbone all the way through. I am not tasting any milkshake, at least not any milkshake I have ever tasted. A nice bitter finish, not overpowering but enough to balance the sweet flavors. A very good beer, at 6% ABV and a $1.99 a can I'll grab more if I see it.

IMG_1769.thumb.jpg.742dd03ddca74bd1cc1aaf27a39aa15a.jpg

Irish Blessing Oak Aged Coffee Stout by Boulder Beer Co. you might be able to guess where there from. It is said this stout was aged on oak chips soaked in Tullamore D.E.W. Big coffee aroma, just the mellowest hint of whisky. Big coffee flavor, joined by very roasty malt up front  There is also a creamy element, not sweet but you would swear there is a touch of cream in the coffee. The whisky picks up some as it warms in the mouth. Leaves a real dry smoky flavor, hints of dark chocolate, hard to describe as it's strong but not overbearing. Don't expect that strong oak barrel aged flavor but if you like coffee then you will like this stout

IMG_1810.jpg

Superposition Idaho 7 DIPA brewed by an outfit called Freethought in New York, distributed by 12%. The beer pusher said this was the best beer he had in the cooler right now, he did not mislead me. Smells like a tropical fruit fest, almost an orange blossom aroma. The flavor is outstanding. A big citrus/grapefruit burst up front but the fruity theme keeps rolling into an almost starburst like fruit flavor. Sweet but not overly sweet with that dry component always there in the backbone. Also get a good dose of malty flavors, has distinct flavor zones as it travels the path. Hard not to suck it right down but the flavor gets even stronger as it warms a bit. Almost complex but just plain good so not that complex.

IMG_1821.thumb.jpg.3b1875fe9472f4cd7f14c988f2911e71.jpg

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Superposition Idaho 7 DIPA brewed by an outfit called Freethought in New York, distributed by 12%. The beer pusher said this was the best beer he had in the cooler right now, he did not mislead me. Smells like a tropical fruit fest, almost an orange blossom aroma. The flavor is outstanding. A big citrus/grapefruit burst up front but the fruity theme keeps rolling into an almost starburst like fruit flavor. Sweet but not overly sweet with that dry component always there in the backbone. Also get a good dose of malty flavors, has distinct flavor zones as it travels the path. Hard not to suck it right down but the flavor gets even stronger as it warms a bit. Almost complex but just plain good so not that complex.

IMG_1821.thumb.jpg.3b1875fe9472f4cd7f14c988f2911e71.jpg

Oh I’ll keep an eye out for that!!

Rotting Earth Double Dry Hopped DIPA, there be hops in this schit! One of those drawn out by and for things 12% are the distributors, Dorchester Brewing made it and canned it for Abomination Brewing Co. The beer pusher was wrong, this is a better beer than his best. Aroma up front is a pineapple, mango tropical fruit with just a hint of malt, still smells like beer. Flavor is off the charts tropical fruit and layers of it. There is that dry bitter component present all the way through, like you would expect from a double double IPA. I need to make the drive today and buy more………

IMG_1822.thumb.jpg.81dfda28f366eed2a59ace1c8649c951.jpgIMG_1824.thumb.jpg.b7bde2e65b05348ea3fbc3b1fd24088e.jpg

New Belgium's Voodoo Ranger Jucifer IPA. Has a melon-tropical fruit aroma. Taste follows the aroma, lots of tropical melon flavor with some citrus. Has hints of pine and dank with some malty backbone. Sweet but with enough bitter to balance and not just taste like a fruit juice. Really a very good beer for a shelfie. Hopefully they keep this one coming!

IMG_1856.thumb.jpg.2d11b4d077152db26ab559dc9af528c4.jpg

Another breakfast beer, Bacon French Toast IPA with maple syrup, d sugar, and bacon from Decadent Ales, brewed and canned by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. for Decadent Ales and distributed by 12%. Smells like breakfast, maple with a hint of toast and hints of citrus. Big maple flavor up front, very sweet. There is some hoppy citrus and malt in the background but very subdued. Finishes with a smoky burnt sugar flavor for the bitter, I assume this is the bacon they refer to. It's not a terrible beer but falls well short of their other breakfast beers, can't say I would recommend it. 

IMG_1862.thumb.jpg.4f9039dc9ecb8ad6e706003e36b2ca1f.jpg

Not going to compete with you beer aficianados, but this one I really like. Castle Danger consistently wins awards as Minnesota’s top brewery. And their cream ale is nice! Malty and smooth with a hint of bitterness but a refreshing finish. 

4A04DBD2-7178-48B4-8B4F-611F8D1D67C1.png

4 hours ago, Sisco said:

Not going to compete with you beer aficianados, but this one I really like. Castle Danger consistently wins awards as Minnesota’s top brewery. And their cream ale is nice! Malty and smooth with a hint of bitterness but a refreshing finish. 

4A04DBD2-7178-48B4-8B4F-611F8D1D67C1.png

I saw that can at the local beer pusher, reasonable cost if I remember right. I will be grabbing one for sure :thumbup:

Another breakfast beer, Blueberry Frosted Pastry DIPA with Blueberries, cinnamon , and allspice from Decadent Ales, brewed and canned by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. for Decadent Ales and distributed by 12%. Blueberry muffins is what I smell. Flavor starts the same with a sweet but sour blueberry and caramel maple hint. It has a beer flavor, a malty, hoppy base but the additions rule here. The bitter in the middle has a cinnamon note but it finishes with allspice. This one I like, I would like to taste the base beer before all the additions, it has to be good.

IMG_1907.thumb.jpg.1b660caf06713c57f0555b52c770a95e.jpg