• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

Suspended Disbelief DIPA Brewed by  Dorchester Brewing Boston Mass. For Public Access Liquids and distributed by 12%. The aroma is that hoppy tropical fruit smell, makes my mouth water with just a whiff. The taste is deep and complex, lots of tropical fruit notes, pineapple, grapefruit, mandarin orange, even a bit of stone fruit ion there. Finishes with a touch of bitter citrus pith and a note of pine. Very well balanced, very easy to drink with a creamy mouthfeel and that oily resin coating left behind, LOTS of hops in here. I will buy more when I see it!

190930656_IMG_2317(2).thumb.jpg.fd0bf7ef30f8bd12ad690563dc2dcc17.jpg

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hop Roulette DIPA and double dry hopped  brewed by  Dorchester Brewing Boston Mass. For Abomination Brewing Co., distributed by 12%. Has a mild citrusy hop aroma and a little bready malt note. Flavor is outstanding! There is a sweet malty backbone from front to back, some citrusy pineapple flavors on the front that goes to a mild piney dank bitter that balances the sweet just right. LOTS of hops in here men, get some if you can!

IMG_2386.thumb.jpg.d1db84338344e025a2f4d8c2cb540a20.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Brought to me by a Viking Brother in Wisconsin, EXPOCHGO IPA from Pipeworks Brewing Co. of Chicago, ILL. Has a big citrus and tropical fruit aroma with some faint bready notes. Hop BOMB! Lots of hop flavors, citrus, pith, pineapple, even some mango, a steady moving flavor profile. Amongst all those hops there is a sweet malty backbone from front to back. Great balance, great drinkability, great beer!

IMG_2507.thumb.jpg.b0040d8d926a190654fe14d46f754a09.jpg

From my Wisconsin Brother, Bonfire Feels American Ale from Phase Three Brewing Co. Brewed and canned by Lake  Zurich Brewing Co in Illinois. The look surprised me, much darker than I am used to seeing an ale, guess it isn't a pale ale. Aroma is real malty with just a hint of hops. Taste is way complex! Has some bready malt flavors with what I can only describe as a hint of sweet and sour. There is some smoky flavor that reminds me of a stout but it fades in and out, not super smoky just a hint. There is also some hops in there, more on the piney dank side of the hop spectrum. Flavors abound in this brew, so many notes it must take an orchestra to make it.

IMG_2561.thumb.jpg.50826b19188602de653384841dd6a653.jpg

NvU Vs. The Haze from Pipeworks Brewing Company of Chicago courtesy of my Wisconsin Brother. Aroma is a tropical fruit bomb, lots of ripe citrus notes. This is one of the best if not the best DIPA's I have had hands down, blew me away with the first sip! Tropical fruit flavors, mango, pineapple, lots of citrusy notes but on the ripe side up front. There is a mild caramel or toffe note from the malt underneath but the hops dominate and in a very good way. It finishes with a mild bitter like orange pith. Mouthfeel is great, so much flavor it tastes thick but feels smooth and light, goes down way to fast! Get some, get a bunch, you'll thank me, and of course a big thanks to my Brother for turning me on to this great brew!
IMG_2622.thumb.jpg.0a3eee4cfaad833ea1737a19507d172e.jpg

On 12/6/2019 at 5:53 PM, jtallen83 said:

NvU Vs. The Haze from Pipeworks Brewing Company of Chicago courtesy of my Wisconsin Brother. Aroma is a tropical fruit bomb, lots of ripe citrus notes. This is one of the best if not the best DIPA's I have had hands down, blew me away with the first sip! Tropical fruit flavors, mango, pineapple, lots of citrusy notes but on the ripe side up front. There is a mild caramel or toffe note from the malt underneath but the hops dominate and in a very good way. It finishes with a mild bitter like orange pith. Mouthfeel is great, so much flavor it tastes thick but feels smooth and light, goes down way to fast! Get some, get a bunch, you'll thank me, and of course a big thanks to my Brother for turning me on to this great brew!
IMG_2622.thumb.jpg.0a3eee4cfaad833ea1737a19507d172e.jpg

I love that brewery, one of my top 5 for sure, they make great beer for a good price! I’m glad you’re enjoying!! 🍻 cheers

Tinkerers Series Vol. 3 NEIPA with cryo hops from The Brewing Project of  Eau Claire WI. Aroma has a fresh citrus aroma and a faint bready smell. The flavor is outstanding, ripe mandarin orange comes to mind up front with a melon flavor right behind. There is a malty backbone there with a mild hop bitter, maybe a hint of dank pine. The flavor is a moving target in the mouth, changes steadily, complex and very well balanced. The flavor is so thick you almost want to chew it, has a very pleasant mouth feel, medium thick with that oily hop feel left behind. Another outstanding beer from my Wisconsin Brother. 

IMG_2630.thumb.jpg.945b07d4e6bbbb5a9c979837fcdc002f.jpg

Don't Fear The Blender #2, Fruit Smoothie with strawberry and raspberry puree IPA from Clown Shoes in Massachusetts. Hardly any aroma at all, light fruity smell and a hint of bread. Has an unripe tart strawberry and raspberry flavors from front to back. Some light malty flavor and just a hint of hoppy citrus but the tart dominates. Not something I will buy again.

IMG_2683.thumb.jpg.f7abc6ae4d6025e70e75053979cd4d90.jpg

Sweet nothings Pastry Stout from Octopi Brewing in Waunakee Wisconsin, coming to me via my Wisconsin Brother. My nose said Grandmas homemade Prune Danish, picks up a healthy cinnamon note as it warms. Taste is very reminiscent of those same Danish. There is raisin and cinnamon as well as that sweet pastry flavor. As it warms a mild smoky flavor picks up letting you know it is a stout, also gives hints of walnut and a boozy hint but not as strong as you would think for the 10% ABV. A desert beer for sure, ambrosia at it's finest, many thanks Brother for an outstanding taste experience!

IMG_2697.thumb.jpg.fc7cde4db6b5c41295782925465b7acd.jpg

Public Access Outer Reality DIPA  brewed and canned by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. For Public Access Liquids. Aroma is not quite ripe grapefruit and a hint of banana. Flavor is bigtime grapefruit, some pith, and a holiday spice note, this goes front to back, start to finish. Has that creamy, oily mouthfeel and lots of those white floaters. Not bad by any means but not outstanding either.

IMG_2703.thumb.jpg.fe9e4e694c44e42aa87fb1df8e869355.jpg

On 12/14/2019 at 5:28 PM, jtallen83 said:

Sweet nothings Pastry Stout from Octopi Brewing in Waunakee Wisconsin, coming to me via my Wisconsin Brother. My nose said Grandmas homemade Prune Danish, picks up a healthy cinnamon note as it warms. Taste is very reminiscent of those same Danish. There is raisin and cinnamon as well as that sweet pastry flavor. As it warms a mild smoky flavor picks up letting you know it is a stout, also gives hints of walnut and a boozy hint but not as strong as you would think for the 10% ABV. A desert beer for sure, ambrosia at it's finest, many thanks Brother for an outstanding taste experience!

IMG_2697.thumb.jpg.fc7cde4db6b5c41295782925465b7acd.jpg

I was curious in your review of this, it’s odd and complex Forsure!! 

Phosphorescent Freethought Galaxy IPA by Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY and distributed by 12%. Has a mild tropical fruit aroma, little citrus and some mango. Flavor follows the nose, grapefruit, mango, some peach in the middle with some hints of pine bitter throughout but coming on stronger at the finish. Also has a subtle caramel note in the middle. Has that creamy mouthfeel that leaves a touch of that oily feel. A nicely balanced IPA 

IMG_2719.thumb.jpg.80eebcba5db7f4c139e9199909639e66.jpg

On 12/18/2019 at 4:47 PM, jtallen83 said:

Phosphorescent Freethought Galaxy IPA by Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY and distributed by 12%. Has a mild tropical fruit aroma, little citrus and some mango. Flavor follows the nose, grapefruit, mango, some peach in the middle with some hints of pine bitter throughout but coming on stronger at the finish. Also has a subtle caramel note in the middle. Has that creamy mouthfeel that leaves a touch of that oily feel. A nicely balanced IPA 

IMG_2719.thumb.jpg.80eebcba5db7f4c139e9199909639e66.jpg

If you buy a case of 24, do you get a nice pink Girl Puddy Cat Hat to wear while you and your friends are swilling this stuff?. . . just an old codger kiddin'

Edited by mrmackc

On 12/19/2019 at 10:03 PM, mrmackc said:

swilling this stuff?

When I think of swilling I think of drinking can after can of beer designed more to deliver a specific rate of alcohol and made with the cheapest ingredients that will pass above any taste requirements. Most often I drink one, maybe two when sharing or on a weekend.

I read your post and got a chuckle but couldn't respond right away. I made a stop at a somewhat  local beer pusher on my way home and caught a relatively fresh batch of beer I have really liked in the past. Immediately thought of you when I saw it, had to bring it home and thoroughly enjoy a fresh hazy IPA, no hat, cost me three bucks. I just knew you would appreciate the name this Brewery decided on;

Fairy.thumb.jpg.8c44571a371d334e4d600594af14d225.jpg

On 12/19/2019 at 10:03 PM, mrmackc said:

do you get a nice pink Girl Puddy Cat Hat to wear

:laffs:I hadn't heard that one yet. I have heard a good bit from friends and family in that same vein so I have a canned answer for them.....FvvCCk Off..... :thumbup: I like my fairy nectar :laffs:

Edited by jtallen83
clarity

59 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

When I think of swilling I think of drinking can after can of beer designed more to deliver a specific rate of alcohol and made with the cheapest ingredients that will pass above any taste requirements. Most often I drink one, maybe two when sharing or on a weekend.

I read your post and got a chuckle but couldn't respond right away. I made a stop at a somewhat  local beer pusher on my way home and caught a relatively fresh batch of beer I have really liked in the past. Immediately thought of you when I saw it, had to bring it home and thoroughly enjoy a fresh hazy IPA, no hat, cost me three bucks. I just knew you would appreciate the name this Brewery decided on;

Fairy.thumb.jpg.8c44571a371d334e4d600594af14d225.jpg

:laffs:I hadn't heard that one yet. I have heard a good bit from friends and family in that same vein so I have a canned answer for them.....FvvCCk Off..... :thumbup: I like my fairy nectar :laffs:

I am glad to hear that you do have such a good sense of taste, and I am glad you like those tootie fruittie beverages, I also like some , often I like some  Ovaltine in my milk. . . .Oh enjoy wearing your nice pink hat !

Edited by mrmackc