• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantasmagoria DIPA by Krebs Brewing Co. in Krebs OK. Real citrus bomb to the nose, ripe orange, blood orange, smells really sweet. Flavor is a big citrus up front, ripe orange and grapefruit then maybe a little melon. Nice backbone of maltiness with a boozy touch, Finishes dry with a hint of pine, something green flavor, slight coconut flavor comes on as it warms. Really good beer, has distinct flavor changes as you drink. 

IMG_1911.thumb.jpg.2aa9faddfe4de1887d9df5ed4dc905c0.jpg

Everybody Wants Some!! DIPA brewed with Azacca hops. Brewed and canned for Hoof Hearted Brewing at Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY and distributed by 12%. Light citrus aromas with a hint of fresh cut grass, maybe that was just the neighbor mowing? Get some not so ripe grapefruit notes up front, citrusy, peachy, grassy, lots of hop going on here. Finishes with a resiny green fizzy dry note. Suck it up and spend the money on this one, a unique hop flavor I will look for again. 

IMG_1927.thumb.jpg.78bc7b6f0d48c7952fa74230ae632b2b.jpgIMG_1929.thumb.JPG.6a223326fabe8bc2e28b55e9e9caad72.JPG

Public Access On Air DIPA  brewed and canned by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. For Public Access Liquids. Citrus on the lemon end for aroma, a bit of a malty note as well. Flavor is tough, so much, so good, so different but so familiar. Has that tropical fruit, mango, papaya, sweet but a ripe sweet not a sugar sweet. There is a nice malty backbone with a hint of caramel. A nice mild dry finish, lemon type dry, not too dry but enough that your ready for another swig right away. Very smooth and creamy in the mouth but doesn't feel as heavy in the gut as it does the mouth. I'm hoping there are a couple of these left when I make the next beer run.

IMG_1932.thumb.jpg.135ab244e27ecd13d08a3844e1fa5966.jpg

Space Camper IPA by Boulevard Brewing Co in KC Missouri. A basic IPA aroma, malty with some citrusy pine notes. Flavor is much juicier up front, lots of tropical flavor then into the malty backbone and a dry hop finish with a pithy and piney flavor. Not a bad beer, an easy one to drink real fast.

IMG_1930.thumb.jpg.711c87fd9235e3022a7911acdb4b0ba2.jpg

Did We Just Become Best Friends? DIPA,  brewed and canned for Hoof Hearted Brewing at Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore NY and distributed by 12%. Smells peachy, literally like peach juice, hint of malt and citrus as well. Flavor fills your mouth instantly, all the tropical juices, like a flavor bomb. Kind of a Juicy Fruit gum vibe, with a nice light malt background that carries to the pithy dry at the end. Very full and creamy in the mouth with a little fizz on the tongue but sits light in my belly, at 8% ABV you don't really notice any alcohol. I'm not a fan of the cutesy label art and name but even I can bend a little when beer taste this good, I will buy more!

IMG_1933.jpg

Twisted Galaxy DIPA by Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. I can smell some lemony piney dankness. Flavor is a lemon pith pineapple up front. Some juicy orange and melon in the middle and a dry pithy end but it doesn't leave that dry finish for long, turns to a real clean lemonade flavor. As it warms the malt flavor starts to come in. A very good IPA but TG has several other offerings I would choose over this one. 

IMG_1935.thumb.jpg.762fa702d027ed2c774ecca326fa2a1a.jpg

Mind Over Mango by Empyrean Brewing Co. in Lincoln, NE. Mango aroma big time, very tropical with a little malty/bready aroma. Taste follows aroma, tropical mango with a touch of malt. A touch sweet with a very mild bitter on the finish for a great balance. Has an unusual mouth feel, medium thick with that fizzy feeling on the tongue. 

IMG_1943.thumb.jpg.bd9211383a90b12df40e56fdf5cc5234.jpg

Baked Goods Hoppy Pale Ale by Clown Shoes Beer of Boston, Mass. Has a very malty aroma with a hint of hoppy citrus pine. Flavor follows aroma close. Big malt with a caramel flavor, touch of bubblegum. There is a dry piney dank with just a hint of citrus at the end. More of a classic American beer flavor and look, goes down real easy. 

IMG_1953.thumb.jpg.3015d5ac8e6528ca28e2abd9ff07c287.jpg

One Man Mosh Pit Hazy IPA by Surly Brewing in Minneapolis MN. Has a citrusy orange juice aroma. Lots of tropical fruit flavors, pineapple, mango, ripe orange. There is a hint of pine but really mild, same on the bitter, there but very mild. A very hoppy, tasty, hazy beer!

IMG_1957.thumb.jpg.d50c81a80b48cc3d3dea7887a71fa5e9.jpg

Xtra-Citra Pale Ale from Surly Brewing in Minneapolis MN. Aroma is like you would expect from the name, citrus big time. Flavor is lots of citrus, not really a ripe citrus though, more a dry pithy citrus. The flavor is light though, easy beer to chug, especially in the heat we are seeing right now. 

IMG_1973.thumb.jpg.c574878ee1419bf0e2ee854817c7b138.jpg

The Perfect Disguise by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Milton, DE. Has a sweet malt and citrus aroma. Flavor is a very pleasant melon with caramel like malt backbone. The finish has some citrus with a touch of pithy dryness. Very tasty beer that's easy drinking, the 8% ABV is well hidden, a perfect disguise.

IMG_1993.thumb.jpg.2a75843f572840c197d5bac3da02fa9b.jpg

7 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Did a Treehouse run, had a limited release of doubleganger, very good. But the surprise for me was summer, I didn’t max out and now wish I had!!!I did grab a case of Julius, more alter ego and an assortment of others.

You, my man, have zero need for any alter ego.  There's enough alter ego caged inside of you, for 20 motherfuckers...  :thumbup::lmao:

21 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Did a Treehouse run, had a limited release of doubleganger, very good. But the surprise for me was summer, I didn’t max out and now wish I had!!! I did grab a case of Julius, more alter ego and an assortment of others.

jealous.jpg.2242083a23f943da269e83b25529c7c9.jpg ..................I think both :thumbup:

22 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Did a Treehouse run, had a limited release of doubleganger, very good. But the surprise for me was summer, I didn’t max out and now wish I had!!! I did grab a case of Julius, more alter ego and an assortment of others.

2A421082-685A-4033-9B66-BA9680C49E1D.png

CE456387-35F9-44D0-8D70-05DCDD2EB93E.png

Summer sounds awesome, I’m loving oat ipa’s

I’m not huge on sours/Berliner’s but gose style are pretty good, tart like a margarita where some sours and Berliner’s taste like bile. 

This was pretty good and the can art is great 

Glasgow smile by nightmare brewing

DA4C4812-0196-4A83-B059-DD7FCF78A19C.jpeg

6051B3C1-BEB1-4FBD-9F93-F4CB1851A07B.png

CAAC07AB-4644-43C3-913B-5CAA0E499260.jpeg

Edited by shepp

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Maybe I need to try the right one, wasn't an IPA fan until you guys steered me the right direction.

I would try a Gose or sour ipa. I think a lot of gose’s are margarita like tart, fruity and kinda salty, dog fish head makes a couple that I like, also founder makes a good one. I get burnt out drinking Ipas all summer, and I kinda like a fruited beer when it’s hot out, they’re refreshing and go down good

F20B1568-539A-426D-9C21-48D804314728.jpeg

D5702ACC-C96F-4D5E-8333-9616B4B90E7A.jpeg

8D9E2A9E-50B0-4343-AD35-AB967F32AC1E.jpeg

Super Nova Summer Fest  by Empyrean Brewing Co. in Lincoln, NE. A real bready, malty aroma with a touch of pine. Has a caramel malt flavor up front that goes to a mild piney dankness, a touch of bitter but not bad. More of a classic IPA flavor than I go for, no sweetness to speak of. Much prefer their Mango IPA and world class Peanut butter porter. 

IMG_2004.thumb.jpg.f193d6e85da8ee93e6c1b4f697d8a538.jpg

Dankalope American IPA by Exile Brewing in Des Moines, Iowa. Has a melon fruit aroma, just a touch of hoppy dank. The flavor is what they call it but the Cantaloupe is bigtime up front with that fruity bubblegum like taste working its way in there. There is a malty backbone throughout and that touch of dank bitter at the finish. Has a creamy mouthfeel and goes down super easy, maybe standing in the sun all day makes the gulp a little bigger but I can't seem to savor the flavor, it just goes down. This schit is good, way good!

IMG_2005.thumb.jpg.778d8ade31aaceee0539ade1871ec98e.jpg