• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

Eagle park in Milwaukee just got voted 2nd best new brewery in the nation there are Atleast six more there that are bangers, madison area has 5 that are killing it with more opening, eau Clair has my favorite brewing projekt. And if you wanna throw Chicago in there (I know not wisc) but they have more breweries than any other city in the country. They probabably have more than the whole state of Mass lol

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pseudo Sue Galaxy dry hopped pale ale from Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Has a citrus aroma, some sweet peach in there as well. Flavor is a crisp citrus leaning to grapefruit but maybe some orange as well. There is a bit of peachy stone fruit popping up and then fading away. Unusual in that there is some sweetness for sure but then it is also a very dry but mild bitter that finishes it, a hint of that pine as well. Fine fizzy carbonation with that oily mouth feel, not as thick as it looks. Very easy to drink, wish I bought two, maybe three.

IMG_1435.thumb.jpg.1f92d2157f8cbd1d7b14f9d1de3c2c85.jpg

18 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Pompeii by toppling Goliath. Very tasty. I’m a big fan of mosaics. I’m not as loquacious as JT, I will just say if this is available I would order it up with no reservation 

That’s probably my favorite from them

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

I can’t decide between Pompeii, Golden Nugget, or Fire, Skulls and Money so I keep sampling them all in hopes of coming to a conclusion. Good fresh Nugget is the way I lean for now.......

It’s between fire skulls and Pompeii, think Pompeii takes it, it’s a touch sweeter iirc

Barleywine Ale Brewer's Reserve from Central Waters Brewing Co. in Amherst, WI. Courtesy of my Wisconsin Brother. Has that sweet bourbon aroma. Caramel toffee flavors poke through the rich boozy flavor. I get a hint of coffee in the middle but mostly the barrel aged bourbon flavor from front to back. There is a bit of heat from the alcohol but not overpowering. A very good sipping beer!

IMG_1456.thumb.jpg.a01f134f0779c5686e0c074ba0594fd0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Vermont Maple DIPA from Decadent Ales, brewed and canned by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. for Decadent Ales. Smells like breakfast, orange juice and french toast, that maple syrup comes through strong, I think I get the toast aroma from the malt but could be the associated aromas from breakfast at Grandma's. A little of that tropical fruit juice hop flavor up front but it doesn't hang around long before the maple syrup bursts into the room.  Sweet but not overly sweet just a real strong maple flavor, a little more astringent bitter at the very end but really balanced well, finishes clean. Mouthfeel is creamy but not heavy, only thing stopping me from drinking several is the price and the 9.1% ABV, very little heat felt for that higher ABV.

IMG_1516.thumb.jpg.b80672cf338da7e2b7345abc1de8f122.jpg

Uncommon Stout from Bent River Brewing in Rock Island, Il. Has a nice toasty coffee aroma. Has some coffee notes but mostly a smoky, toasted malt flavor. Smooth and creamy but still easy to drink. Actually a common stout flavor but that’s a good thing.

IMG_1573.thumb.JPG.7213334e542a49a170e516ca40ddc338.JPG

Learn What Is To Be Taken Seriously And Laugh At The Rest double dry hopped IPA  from Evil Twin Brewing in Connecticut by Westbrook Brewing Co. Mount Pleasant, S.C. Pours clear but clouds fast with lots of floating debris. A sweet melony aroma, a little malty. Flavor follows aroma with a melony peach. Finish is a mild astringent bitter and clean. Feels pretty watery, drinks easy. A very one note mild IPA for being double dry hopped.

IMG_1584.thumb.jpg.df09974de2d2db905b3b18caea334113.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hubbard's Cave IIPA Fresh V28 brewed by Une Annee Brewery in Niles, IL. Has a mild malty orange juice aroma. Flavor is very unusual, sweet but with some sour up front, green apple like sours that fades to a hop bitterness at the end. It has a very creamy malty flavor, some banana mixing with  unripe orange. There's a spice in there as well, allspice maybe. Very creamy mouthfeel but not as creamy as it looks. Ends with more spice and banana notes as it warms, leaves my lips and mouth with a slightly numb tingle. The 8.5% ABV seems low after drinking it.

IMG_1701.thumb.jpg.5b17acf610f55fab175518208bb95ea4.jpg

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Hubbard's Cave IIPA Fresh V28 brewed by Une Annee Brewery in Niles, IL. Has a mild malty orange juice aroma. Flavor is very unusual, sweet but with some sour up front, green apple like sours that fades to a hop bitterness at the end. It has a very creamy malty flavor, some banana mixing with  unripe orange. There's a spice in there as well, allspice maybe. Very creamy mouthfeel but not as creamy as it looks. Ends with more spice and banana notes as it warms, leaves my lips and mouth with a slightly numb tingle. The 8.5% ABV seems low after drinking it.

IMG_1701.thumb.jpg.5b17acf610f55fab175518208bb95ea4.jpg

They’re making a ton of good stuff, if you can get ahold of their triple is super good, but it’ll kick you in the pants

On 5/21/2019 at 11:39 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, but dude, can't you hear "I can brew for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles .... oh yeah"

All their brews are tweaked song titles Brewery is super cool old records on the walls, microphones for tappers and mock amp faces on the walls 

Bible Belt from Evil Twin Brewing in collaboration with Prairie Artisan Ales and Canned by Westbrook Brewing in Mount Pleasant SC. An Imperial stout aged on coffee, vanilla, chilies and cacao nibs. Big coffee aroma, hints of molasses and malt. Flavor follows nose with a big coffee note all the way through and more molasses as it warms. Has the normal darkly toasted flavor with some dark chocolate. There is just a hint of spice from the chilies as a trailing flavor. Very tasty, rich mouthfeel, not near as boozy as the 13% ABV would make you think.

IMG_1704.thumb.jpg.690ae6006195c931d9f4c5444a54b9fa.jpg

Scorpius Morchella DIPA by Toppling Goliath Brewing in Decorha Iowa. Pop the top and your nose is met with sweet fresh OJ, a citrus burst. You don't notice the light malty aroma till you get the stuff right on your face. The taste is fantastic, spring for sure with a wonderful green flavor start to finish, fresh ripe citrus, maybe a bit of pineapple on the upfront side, real creamy. The end shows a little bitter but only enough to make the beer not to sweet, balance is dead on with this brew. Changes as it warms, more sweet and more bitter but still maintains that balance, Fuk'n good schit! Really reminds me of a brew they do with some New Zealand hops that I really liked.  Buy when you see it in the spring, it's a once a year batch at Morel mushroom time.  I will be jumping on more of this stuff.

IMG_1706.thumb.jpg.f4071c00c50ebf5cdc49bff5c178b9d3.jpg

Launch NE IPA from Fat Orange Cat brewed by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. Slight citrus and a good does of malty aroma, touch of pine maybe? A mild citrusy sweet pith flavor up front. The flavor really changes rapidly, runs through some malty sweet, lemon, a touch of pine, some mango and kiwi notes. Strange for an IPA there is a note of caramel as well. It finishes with a little hop bitter but not much bite. It has a real resinous, oily mouth feel. Rich and complex, wish I'd have bought more.

IMG_1714.thumb.jpg.9988864b7732e0da11690cf42668b73a.jpg

15 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Launch NE IPA from Fat Orange Cat brewed by Dorchester Brewing Co. Boston Mass. Slight citrus and a good does of malty aroma, touch of pine maybe? A mild citrusy sweet pith flavor up front. The flavor really changes rapidly, runs through some malty sweet, lemon, a touch of pine, some mango and kiwi notes. Strange for an IPA there is a note of caramel as well. It finishes with a little hop bitter but not much bite. It has a real resinous, oily mouth feel. Rich and complex, wish I'd have bought more.

IMG_1714.thumb.jpg.9988864b7732e0da11690cf42668b73a.jpg

Think I may have mentioned it before but I really like their beer