• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bobcat...

98Z5V

Had a FUCKING BOBCAT in my backyard tonight.  OH HELL NO!...

I let the two cats outside everynight, so they can chill out, and act like they're gonna get one of the doves out back.  Tacticat is a Lizard Stalker, and he can fuk them up when they're out there.  God forbid, I'd ever have a DOG in the backyard, he'd lose his shiit...

So tonight, I let them out, and it's getting dark... I leave the door open, and he comes in.  I didn't notice that Bitchy Cat did NOT come in, so I shut the door. 'bout 30 minutes later,Tacticat BLOWS THE FUK UP AT THE DOOR!!!  He's going more batshit crazy than the last ex-wife, or over ANY dog he's tried to fight, and I can't figure it out!!!....  I look out the dooir, and there's a fucking BOBCAT ON MY PATIO!!!

The mental calculus in my reaction time cannot even be explained.  In a rapid split-second, I realized that I have nothing - NOTHING - to shoot this thing with, within city limits.  I know enough of the cops here, and shoot with enough of them, that I could "make a connection" if someone I didn't know responded...  and I still had nothing... 9mm close by, mag of 9mm snakeshot, 45ACP close by - this motherfucker was OUTSIDE MY PATIO DOOR!!!  SHOTGUN!  It's right there on the back of the couch!  Fuk no, can't shoot that here.  FUK ME!!!

THis all went down in 0.23 seconds, after seeing this fuckker on my patio.  I reacted, in the only way I could...

I threw that door open and CHARGED that furry motherfucker, with all my caveman fury, frenzy, and valor.  I was gonna STOMP that motherfucker right into a part of my backyard...

...but it was FAST. Holy SHIIT was it FAST.

I've never seen an animal react so fast - this fukker was GONE! Like, SO FUCKING FAST I COULDN'T TELL WHICH DIRECTION HE WENT!!!

In a natural attempt to MAKE SURE he was outta my yard, I was out there stomping around, grabbing anything I could, and throwing it in every direction I though he might have went.  My backyard is a fucking disaster right now.  It looks like the hurricane that missed - hit.  I think I fucked up my air compressor that was out back on the back porch.  I reached a magnitude of "retard strength" during this ordeal, that I hurled that compressor out into the yard, after that hairy, no-tail-havin', tufted-eared motherfucker... 

FUK!  I swear I wish I could have got my hands on it.  That motherfucker better NOT come back here, ever.  If I coulda grabbed it, one of two things were happening - kinda like Tequila.  Wild Jungle Monkey Sex, or someone's gettin' the SHIIT beat out of them. Sometimes BOTH.  If I coulda grabbed that hairy female cat, I was gonna choke it out, or get cut up like Freddy Krueger got me...

MOTHERFUCKER!!!  I'm pissed. There's ZERO REASON that fucker should be in my god damned backyard.  I'm setting up the shotgun shell trips now, along the perimeter.  I'm gonna get that bastard.  This is war.

Edited by 98Z5V

If you thought the Beaver & Deer were wild , wait till you grab or should I say, try to grab a wild Cat . I have scars from one & a very vivid memory from it & can tell you , before I did that again I would take anything the Law had to offer & open up on it with everything I had . I have Bob cats in my back yard also , not to mention just about every wild predator you can think of , as long as they don't bother me , I don't bother them .

I’ve never seen one in person alive, seen plenty of sign of them up north. Only one I’ve seen was trapped and they were weighing it at the feed mill. The guy was holding it by the back leg arm straight out and the cat all streched out was touching the ground with its front paws, the guy holding it was my size 6’ plus so say that cat was 4.6’-5’ long I never realized they were that big

You guys are talking cougers and pumas.  We have bobcats in Texas but most of them only grow to about 110% the size of your big old housecat.  Our neighbor had one as a pet (caught as a small kitten), when I was a 12 year old in Wichita County,  her name was Bobbie. It was one hell of a mouser in their barn.

Ours is a bobcat. He's a big one. We've had a mountain lion around the area a lot lately too. My dad got to see the lion a few weeks ago, but I haven't spotted that one. This bobcat comes up to claim the squirrels I leave around the yard. I shot one in the wood pile a couple months ago and the bobcat was there to claim him in less than 5 minutes. I think he's figured out that the .22 shot is a dinner bell. 

Edited by DNP

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

You guys are talking cougers and pumas.  We have bobcats in Texas but most of them only grow to about 110% the size of your big old housecat.  Our neighbor had one as a pet (caught as a small kitten), when I was a 12 year old in Wichita County,  her name was Bobbie. It was one hell of a mouser in their barn.

2 hours ago, shepp said:

I’ve never seen one in person alive, seen plenty of sign of them up north. Only one I’ve seen was trapped and they were weighing it at the feed mill. The guy was holding it by the back leg arm straight out and the cat all streched out was touching the ground with its front paws, the guy holding it was my size 6’ plus so say that cat was 4.6’-5’ long I never realized they were that big

Nope I’m talking about a bob cat there’s no lion season here, hell the dnr won’t even admit their are residents in the state, every time someone sees one the dnr says it’s a rouge male.

my description might be hard to understand, think holding a dead cat by the back leg by the paw and its front paws were touching the ground elongated body. 

Like this

1F869DED-4F49-4E1A-8F8A-C67037125B6A.jpeg

We live within city limits too and have large oaks that attract a variety of smaller, non-dangerous varmints that occasionally need to be dealt with as they agitate pets, get in the trash, etc.  Firearm usage is not an option in town so I use Harbor Freight's inexpensive but decent quality small live trap to catch and relocate them.  I could only find this medium sized one on Harbor Freight's website but I'm pretty sure I've seen a larger version in our local store previously if medium isn't big enough for this animal.  If you decide to go with something like this be sure to put a tarp or some other protection down in your vehicle for the trap with the animal inside to ride on during transport.

https://www.harborfreight.com/32-in-x-15-in-x-10-in-medium-animal-trap-61682.html.

This thread piqued my curiosity about how to bait one of these cats and I found this article titled "Homemade Bobcat Bait".  It's a pretty interesting read whether or not you decide to go the live-trap/relocation route. 

https://sciencing.com/homemade-bobcat-bait-12002589.html

It also occurred to me that there could be some significant danger when releasing the bobcat from the trap at its new location. I do not know whether they can necessarily be expected to flee once the trap is opened...could be that they will typically attack and this could be potentially be a major flaw in the live trap/relocate strategy of dealing with bobcats.

2 hours ago, EugeneStoner said:

We live within city limits too and have large oaks that attract a variety of smaller, non-dangerous varmints that occasionally need to be dealt with as they agitate pets, get in the trash, etc.  Firearm usage is not an option in town so I use Harbor Freight's inexpensive but decent quality small live trap to catch and relocate them.  I could only find this medium sized one on Harbor Freight's website but I'm pretty sure I've seen a larger version in our local store previously if medium isn't big enough for this animal.  If you decide to go with something like this be sure to put a tarp or some other protection down in your vehicle for the trap with the animal inside to ride on during transport.

https://www.harborfreight.com/32-in-x-15-in-x-10-in-medium-animal-trap-61682.html.

This thread piqued my curiosity about how to bait one of these cats and I found this article titled "Homemade Bobcat Bait".  It's a pretty interesting read whether or not you decide to go the live-trap/relocation route. 

https://sciencing.com/homemade-bobcat-bait-12002589.html

It also occurred to me that there could be some significant danger when releasing the bobcat from the trap at its new location. I do not know whether they can necessarily be expected to flee once the trap is opened...could be that they will typically attack and this could be potentially be a major flaw in the live trap/relocate strategy of dealing with bobcats.

My buddy has trapped them using litter from his female cats box and a feather hanging from a limb but that’s with a leg trap. 

I may or may not know of someone who shot a coon on his deck out the patio door with the rifle completely consealed in their kitchen

Edited by shepp

14 hours ago, shepp said:

Sooooooo is bitchy cat ok? Lol

i agree with SS, bobcats no joke I understand why you ran it off tho

MAN!  Tacticat came in earlier, but Bitchy Cat didn't wanna come in, at that time.  Then TactiCat lost his shiit...   After I ran that fucker off, I grabbed the flashlight and went looking for her.  I searched all over the backyard, half worried I was gonna find her chewed up behind the shed or something.  LAST PLACE I checked, she was there, and fine.  She was up on the wall, right up against the house, on the east side, scrunched into the smallest ball she could make herself.  She didn't want to come down, so I had to calm her down and get her off the wall.  She tucked in tight once I had her.  She's fine now, and over it.  Both those jackasses wanted to go out as soon as I got home tonight, but it was already dark.  Nope.

I've got half a dozen of those .22 Cal Blank trips, and two shotshell blank trips.  Those things are going up.  At least I'll know if it comes back, and hopefully that freaks it out bad enough that it doesn't even think of coming back.  My initial reaction wasn't fear - I was PISSED.  I was worried after running it off, though, about Bitchy...

This thing was easily twice the size of TactiCat - but that silly bastard was ready to try to fight it...  

This ain't no Labrador or Boston Terrier, you Knucklehead...  :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

7 minutes ago, shepp said:

??? right like nuclear cat to tactical! 

That dummy thinks he's me... 10 feet tall, three rows of teeth, two coats of hair, and bulletproof...   He doesn't understand that he's 12 pounds and a foot tall.  It's all 12 pounds of attitude, though...   :lmao::bat::box1: I respect the little fucker...   :hail:

That’s a lil pussycat! We have a huge puma (Mtn Lion) on a killing spree in our neighborhood in the Sierra Foothills! It’s killed over a hundred animals already! Sheep, pigs, chickens, goats, calves. It even got one of my old llamas, Stormy a few weeks ago! And those llamas are huge and put up a fight! It doesn’t even eat the stuff it kills! Just kills for sport!

Edited by FreQRiDeR

16 minutes ago, FreQRiDeR said:

That’s a lil pussycat! We have a huge puma (Mtn Lion) on a killing spree in our neighborhood in the Sierra Foothills! It’s killed over a hundred animals already! Sheep, pigs, chickens, goats, calves. It even got one of my old llamas, Stormy a few weeks ago! And those llamas are huge and put up a fight! It doesn’t even eat the stuff it kills! Just kills for sport!

That's cool. :thumbup:  That's what Mountain Lions usually do.  They come back for it later.   We have those, too, in AZ. You got Jaguars?

We do. 

10737576_web1_jaguarweb.jpg

You can call it what you want, but when it's in my backyard, two feet from my backdoor, it's an issue, and not a small one.  People lose pets to coyotes here all the time  - and I've chased the mangy bastards down the street on a Mtn bike, to get them out of my neighborhood.  I shoot then whenever I can - call those fuckers in, and get rid of them.

I just did a search on "sierra foothills mountain lion killing spree" to see what you were talking about.  I got nothing of significance, so please share some of your news:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sierra+foothills+mountain+lion+killing+spree&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

cougar is the local cat these days in town. like almost down town. not hard to believe being surrounded by hills covered in deep woods. Housing development keeps pushing farther into the woods and the deer find more sanctuary in town. not huntable, lots of food, greenbelts... the cats get hungry and follow! 

3 hours ago, Sisco said:

We have Bobcats all over the place up here.they can take down a deer, so they are tough. This is a pic of their bigger cousin up in Canada, the Lynx. Two can’t coexist. Bobcats move in, Lynx disappear.

4271F976-0143-4036-9643-6EF8FA8C8FEC.jpeg

That’s a big kitty, thouse snow shoe paws are the size of her face