• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I'm ready to put this bad boy on paper and see if she'll shoot like I'd hoped

carverelli

I have lots of other powders as I reload for .223 22-250 6x 284win 25-06 7mm RM 300WM 338UM. Mostly slower powders. Then fast like 2230 accurate and h335. Those 2 I mentioned I've not used before. Just heard from different sites they excelled in the creedmoor.

Anything less than moa out to near 1/2 mile will be a disappointment 

4350 was a powder that almost disappeared before the 6.5C came about, and got super-popular several years ago, but it was used by seasoned .260 Rem shooters for 20 years (that's how long the .260 Rem has been around).  RL-17 is a new powder, that was specifically developed for these 6.5mm cartridges.  It's supposed to be the absolute SHEEEIIIIT for them.

11 minutes ago, carverelli said:

I recall you saying you shoot the .260 . Is it a gas gun? What kind of accuracy are you seeing?

Yes, 20" WC barrel, Armalite rifle gas length, shooting 147gr Hornady ELD-M projos with RL-22 powder and CCI 200 primers through Hornady 308 Match brass, resized down to .260 and necks turned down. It's around 0.5 MOA, consistently.  Fucking laser beam.

It's the most ridiculous distance gun I own, even over the 300 Win Mag bolt gun.

Edited by 98Z5V

H4350 is made by ADI in Australia for Hodgdon, ADI call it AR2209, it's a very popular powder here, especially in the likes of 243 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 and now the hipster 6.5 CM, I guess it would also perform well in the latest wonder, 6mm CM

I use it in 243 Win and 6mm Rem, it's my 'perfect powder'  for these calibres ?

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That is exactly right, right there...   :laffs::lmao:

:thumbup:

6.5 CM is all anyone has been talking about over here for the last year or so, I just don't get it myself, perhaps it's because I drink my coffee without sugar and  the blacker the better and my idea of 'hairstyle' is a #2 crew cut. Could also be because I'm past 50 and have seen all these so called wonder calibres before...........now get of my fukin lawn......

Sorry for hijacking your thread carverelli

Nice rifle, post up your results.:cool:

9 minutes ago, 308kiwi said:

Could also be because I'm past 50 and have seen all these so called wonder calibres before...........now get of my fukin lawn......

That's why I'll keep my .260 Rem, right there...  It's already proven, 20years ago and more, but "back in the day" it was only for the "recoil-sensitive" shooters...  Look at it now...   :lmao:

Little more case capacity over 6.5CM, little more velocity over 6.5CM, and a little more accuracy over 6.5CM...  Man, are they pissed over THAT!...   :laffs:

eastwood.jpg

My "perfect powder" for 22/250 ended up being H-414.  It's a ball powder and measures well, and very consistent over the chronograph back when I was working up varmint loads.  Used to load 52 gr Speer bench rest flat base hollow points over a full charge of it.  They went right at 3800fps over the chronograph and every one in the same hole at 100 yards.  It also worked very well in my 243 and 6MM.  It's not mentioned much these days and I have zero experience with the 6.5C, just throwing it out there........Cliff

On 1/24/2019 at 6:48 PM, DNP said:

Holeeee craAp!  Do you see the size of that thing??!

that boot has to be at least size 15!

9.5 EE steel toe danner super rain forest. 3 days on them and the steel goes were killing my wide ass feet. For sale of you know anyone that could use them. 

I made up some loads last Saturday but Sunday was ccccoolldd in SE Washington. Maybe this Saturday....

...thanks for the kind replies. I hope she shoots as good as she looks. That scope is duplex reticle variX 3 long range with side parralax adj I had in the safe. Probably not the scope that'll end up on that rifle.

Any ideas from you all. I'm leaning towards nightforce because they're solid and real nice  but they got so many models now and I dont really know what I want. I'll use it mostly for snacking steel to .5 mile  but it might see use filling a doe tag or an occasional  coyote 

Edited by carverelli

22 minutes ago, carverelli said:

Any ideas from you all.

Primary Arms just made a 6.5 Creedmoor-specific scope, BCD reticle.  It's pretty damn nice.  As far as I know, they're the first ones with a 6.5C scope.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-3-18x50mm-illuminated-ffp-rifle-scope-with-acss-apollo-6-5cm-reticle

image.thumb.png.43f0167dcfe4dc8cda3d14b9f60cc0e0.png

43 grains of H4350 Fed 210 primer OAL of 2.830 in my 26 inch barrel makes 2810 out the front with a overall deviance of 6 to 9 and a 140 eld M is a very deadly load I have many 5 in a row at 800 yards on a 6 inch plate and oxygen bottles with the bottom cut out sitting on metal fence post use the top for headshots.....lol I love 6.5 CR but I am wanting more HP so I am wanting to build a 6.5/284 in a gas gun but not sure I can afford it I used to shoot 7mm STW loved it for a hunting round not so much for a ringing steel round but at almost 70 now I like the short rounds suppressed.....lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 9:51 PM, 98Z5V said:

Yes, 20" WC barrel, Armalite rifle gas length, shooting 147gr Hornady ELD-M projos with RL-22 powder and CCI 200 primers through Hornady 308 Match brass, resized down to .260 and necks turned down. It's around 0.5 MOA, consistently.  Fucking laser beam.

It's the most ridiculous distance gun I own, even over the 300 Win Mag bolt gun.

Is your WC barrel 1-8" twist. I've heard some say they'd recommend 7.5 twist rate for the longer bullets. I've loaded up some eld-x to try out. I wonder if the match M will shoot any different. 

Freak northwest snowstorm has everyone around hunkered down closing major interstate s and crap

6 hours ago, carverelli said:

Is your WC barrel 1-8" twist. I've heard some say they'd recommend 7.5 twist rate for the longer bullets. I've loaded up some eld-x to try out. I wonder if the match M will shoot any different. 

have any research sources on this? I will be purchasing a custom .260 rem barrel as soon as my tax return comes in and I plan on shooting long, heavy, high bc bullets.

MIne is the 1:8" twist, and it handles those 147s like a champ.  That thing is accurate, that's for certain.  Maybe anything radically over 147 would present those problems, but I'm not seeing any stability issues thus far with the 1:8" and 147s.