• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PA-10- and a tip of the sobrero to 98Z5V

MSchwartz

Acquired the upper and lower separately of a Gen 2 PA10 - 18 inch upper. complete Classic lower receiver. After searching and researching on this forum for anything PA10, I found the excellent  pinned note by 98Z5V to PSA detailing the issues- lightweight buffer, short buffer spring, short gas tube, short receiver extension. I received the two shipments, put it together, added a scope and went out to shoot after lubing the heck out of it. Yup, FTF and FTE just as described elsewhere. I had hoped the issues had been corrected but nope. I called PSA and they want me to send it all back so they can correct it. I'm currently waiting on their double box to do that. In the meantime I have the correct buffer and spring, and gas tube on the way to me from Midway and Heavy Buffer. If the parts arrive before the boxes, I'll correct the issues. Again my thanks to Tomas, 98Z5V, for a cogent and precise description of the issues and the solution. PICS later today.

Same story here except I am skipping the Palmetto CS headache. It is a testament to the value of this site that you and I can sit here and have somebody to thank for their helpfulness in dealing with issues. 98Z5V has been on point with the info, and there is a bunch of other cats here that have been seriously helpful whether they know it or not. Forums can either be full of trolls or genuine people. I like this site for the helpful, genuine people (with troll tendencies, lol).

Edited by 2clickslow

58 minutes ago, MSchwartz said:

This site has been nothing but a learning experience in AR-platforms for me. and Thanks to all.

I'll tip my hat to that as well. 98 saved me a lot of trouble on my first .308 AR; and hasn't stopped offering valuable comments or advice since. This is not just any old internet forum, real good people around here...

20 hours ago, Lane said:

I'll tip my hat to that as well. 98 saved me a lot of trouble on my first .308 AR; and hasn't stopped offering valuable comments or advice since. This is not just any old internet forum, real good people around here...

I'm really surprised 98 has not written and published a book like Zediker and others have done just on the AR-308 platform. His intuitive grasp of issues and problems with resulting solutions is valuable.

Guys, I'm just a dummy with guns and lots of tools.  I've just been fortunate enough to work around some of the most badass armorers on the planet, and play with alot of things that shoot, blow up, or detonate.  I appreciate the comments, but I just try to help people understand what's going on with their weapon, and why.  Once you know how and why it works like it does, it's easier to pinpoint issues when they come up. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Guys, I'm just a dummy with guns and lots of tools.  I've just been fortunate enough to work around some of the most badass armorers on the planet, and play with alot of things that shoot, blow up, or detonate.  I appreciate the comments, but I just try to help people understand what's going on with their weapon, and why.  Once you know how and why it works like it does, it's easier to pinpoint issues when they come up. 

You aren't a dummy, you've proven that. Your help and comments have been tremendously appreciated even if sometimes not acknowledged. Thank you again.

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

To be honest, I don't know you enough to say if you're a dummy or not. You have a lot of not so random information rattling around your brain housing group (BHG) that somehow spills out at the most opportune times. Good information that is helpful and on point. Thank you for letting that slip out.

Anybody around 98Z5V? How big is the cranium getting?

2 hours ago, MSchwartz said:

Back to original topic,. does this look a little short in the gas tube arena?

IMG_0484.JPG

Mine looks the same. Just went ahead and ordered an AR-10 gas tube because of the info gleaned from this site. Also cut my losses and ordered the buffer spring and buffer because the stock Palmetto ones are wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Palmetto Received the rifle on 3/ 1. Shipped it back on 3/5- it's still enroute.  what their repair notes to me say:

Your repair has been completed. The note from our Repair Team states the following :

{INSPECTED THE RIFLE AND IT HAS OUR CORRECT BUFFER, BUFFER SPRING. ALSO THE GAS TUBE IS CORRECT IN LENGTH AND IS POSITIONED CORRECTLY. THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MID LENGTH GAS TUBE, IT FUNCTIONS PROPERLY. INSTALLED O-RINGS TO THE EXTRACTOR SPRING AND TEST FIRED 25 ROUNDS WITH NO ISSUES

25 ROUNDS .308 FEDERAL SIERRA MATCH 175GR BRASS

If I can get the gas block off this time. I'll put in the Armalite gas tube and the buffer and spring from HeavyBuffers.  Looks like PSA is having a little bit of excitement. They are hiring a whole bunch of folks including a comptroller and finance type. And for JJE Capital?

On 3/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, shooterrex said:

You can change the gas tube without removing the gas block. Remove the roll pin and you can get the gas tube out. Just takes a little wiggling.

I was being lazy. I have to remove the MLOK FF rails and then I can get to the roll pin. I was going to take out the gas block with tube change it out then put it back.

Of course the rifle has to get here first. They processed it for shipment and UPS told me it would be here Monday 3/11. On Tuesday 3/12 I called since it had not shown up. Suddenly it ships 3/12 610PM. Due to me now 3/18. But their website does say 10-15 working days.  I will be putting the H3 buffer and correct spring in it, as well as the midlength gas tube which is the same length as the Armalite AR10 carbine gas tube. They must have fired the 25 rounds of 175 from a rest, because with their buffer and spring it would have beaten my shoulder. More when it gets here. And again thanks all especially to the resident genius 98Z5V whose post originally saved me from looking like a dumbass again. Well, not entirely.

I'm no genius, but I watch the stuff going on with all these rifles, regardless of brand.  For your FTE issues, are the casings coming out of the chamber?  Are they getting out of the rifle?  FTE can be "Failure to Extract" and also "Failure to Eject."

This right here is REALLY INTERESTING, and it just happened recently - I've never seen this one before, but the correction for it is in here - It's definitely worth looking into:

Edited by 98Z5V