• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another new guy from Washington

Paddy_Fitz

Just retired after 39 years in law enforcement... time to get stuff done.

Just bought a complete Palmetto State Armory .308 lower. Sure couldn't build it for the sale price. Now I need to determine which upper is compatible (pretty sure DPMS Gll will work).

This will be my 5th AR build, but my first .308, so it should be interesting. Want to build a decent brush rifle that I won't mind getting dirty. My M1A is so clean I don't want to risk it any more.

Due to WA's recent firearms restrictions going into effect by July 1, I have several projects, including an SBR, that I need to have in the works so that the rifles can be grandfathered in. There is also a bill in our state legislature to restrict all magazines to 10 rounds and it looks like it will pass due to the liberal majority in our state house and senate. So now I'm buying 5 PMAGS every payday until July. PSA has them at $7.95 a piece for gen 2 5.56 PMAGS.

I left CA in the 90's because of this crap... sounds like it's time to move to Idaho.

Hopefully I don't bug you guys too much with noob questions... I apologize ahead of time, just in case.

Welcome aboard! 

FYI, the DPMS GII is a "small frame" 308. It is not compatible with the PA-10 or any other large frame lower. Best advice I can offer, stick with matching upper and lower, in other words, get a PA-10 stripper upper. From there you can put any DPMS pattern barrel and handguard you desire. Just make sure you get  a "low profile" handguard. Really can't beat PSA for the money.

Thanks. I'm glad you clarified that. Saved me from making a huge faux pax. For some reason I was under the impression that the PA-10 lower was only compatible w/ gen II stuff.

I would have purchased the PA10 upper at the same time I bought the lower, but PSA doesn't have any in stock. Hence my search for a compatible alternative. I read somewhere that DPMS is PSA's source for "Gen I" uppers and lowers. Don't know if that's true, but it would resolve the probem. 

I live near the MEGA (now ZEV) plant and have been there numerous times. They took a bunch of local L/E leaders through the plant to get us to buy their patrol rifles (which we did). It turns out they machine upper/lowers for a boat load of AR vendors, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that DPMS does the same.

Edited by Paddy_Fitz
left out information

11 hours ago, Paddy_Fitz said:

Just retired after 39 years in law enforcement... time to get stuff done.

Just bought a complete Palmetto State Armory .308 lower. Sure couldn't build it for the sale price. Now I need to determine which upper is compatible (pretty sure DPMS Gll will work).

This will be my 5th AR build, but my first .308, so it should be interesting. Want to build a decent brush rifle that I won't mind getting dirty. My M1A is so clean I don't want to risk it any more.

Due to WA's recent firearms restrictions going into effect by July 1, I have several projects, including an SBR, that I need to have in the works so that the rifles can be grandfathered in. There is also a bill in our state legislature to restrict all magazines to 10 rounds and it looks like it will pass due to the liberal majority in our state house and senate. So now I'm buying 5 PMAGS every payday until July. PSA has them at $7.95 a piece for gen 2 5.56 PMAGS.

I left CA in the 90's because of this crap... sounds like it's time to move to Idaho.

Hopefully I don't bug you guys too much with noob questions... I apologize ahead of time, just in case.

Just to break it all down for you, the PSA "Gen 1" was so fucked up they stopped making it, and dragged their asses back to the drawing board, to fix their serious mistakes. The PSA "Gen 2" is just the formulation of hardware improvements they made to get their platform out of "Completely Proprietary," and into the real world of making some of their stuff work with SOME other manufacturers parts.

That has ZERO to do with any DPMS G II platforms, which are .308ARs, but in a smaller package.  ALL THAT SHIIT IS PROPRIETARY.  DPMS tried to make a .308AR that is as small as an AR15, except for the size of the magwell. THAT is the DPMS G II. Smaller .308AR...

"GEN TWO" when you see it, is like comparing apples and oranges hammers.  It's just not even the same, so don't confuse it.  In this world, those terms do NOT mean "compatibility" - they just mean, "Some dumbass manufacturer decided to do their OWN THING and hang a new name on it..."

I kid you not.

Welcome aboard - there's a steep learning curve ahead for you, with what you've stated already, and what you thought you understood. It'll all get worked out, though. You need to be patient,  and not get pissed off when you state things that are completely off the wall - based on what you think your understanding is inside this platform.  You've said enough already to make my brain do cheetah-flips, with all that's wrong with it.  Hang on, slow down, help is coming...  

Gen 2 is NOT Gen II...WORLDS apart... 

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Just to break it all down for you, the PSA "Gen 1" was so fucked up they stopped making it, and dragged their asses back to the drawing board, to fix their serious mistakes. The PSA "Gen 2" is just the formulation of hardware improvements they made to get their platform out of "Completely Proprietary," and into the real world of making some of their stuff work with SOME other manufacturers parts.

That has ZERO to do with any DPMS G II platforms, which are .308ARs, but in a smaller package.  ALL THAT SHIIT IS PROPRIETARY.  DPMS tried to make a .308AR that is as small as an AR15, except for the size of the magwell. THAT is the DPMS G II. Smaller .308AR...

"GEN TWO" when you see it, is like comparing apples and oranges hammers.  It's just not even the same, so don't confuse it.  In this world, those terms do NOT mean "compatibility" - they just mean, "Some dumbass manufacturer decided to do their OWN THING and hang a new name on it..."

I kid you not.

Welcome aboard - there's a steep learning curve ahead for you, with what you've stated already, and what you thought you understood. It'll all get worked out, though. You need to be patient,  and not get pissed off when you state things that are completely off the wall - based on what you think your understanding is inside this platform.  You've said enough already to make my brain do cheetah-flips, with all that's wrong with it.  Hang on, slow down, help is coming...  

Gen 2 is NOT Gen II...WORLDS apart... 

I love how you put things so eloquently your bad ass