• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

shooting off a bench

Hello, All

When shooting off bench, sandbags or bipod,  I do not get a good group unless I  have my off hand gripping on the floating guard or front angled grip.

When I wrap my arm around and under stock and support the stock like Hollywood snipers the group opens up, even though it seems to be more stable. 

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Al

1 hour ago, Albroswift said:

Loading the bipod is a pretty good description of what gets me the best groups.

Unforgiven,  don't quite understand what you are saying about the shims

Bench is like a little deck majority would have the boards perpendicular to your seated position. Put a wedge between the boards to buck the bipod feet. Could put a board across the top with 2 clamps to hold the board down.

your bipod slips forward when loaded. add a ledge or board to push against. stopping the bipod from slipping forward and holding the bipod in place when loading forward.. like biulding a wall. there are replacement feet for most bipods but this will damage a bench or in my case not work on concrete. I need to try this! 

1 hour ago, sketch said:

your bipod slips forward when loaded. add a ledge or board to push against.

This is the key, right here.  It's tough to load a bipod on a concrete or wood bench - nothing for the feet to dig into, so it's tough to load up and get solid on it.  Having a stop in front of you changes everything, with you combine bipod and bench.

Off bags, it's a different technique - loose.  Lay the rifle on the front bag, don't grip the rifle tight-as-hell, light trigger hand grip, and smooth trigger squeeze - try no to disturb it as much as possible. 

Shooting off rocks is like a bench - I reach forward with the offhand and grab a bipod leg to lock the bipod in position, then load it from there with firing shoulder - and get it into my shoulder. 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:21 PM, 98Z5V said:

Off bags, it's a different technique - loose.  Lay the rifle on the front bag, don't grip the rifle tight-as-hell, light trigger hand grip, and smooth trigger squeeze - try no to disturb it as much as possible. 

This is basically what I do with my Caldwell 7 rest.  Rifle sits in the rest front and back.  Touch the stock butt to my shoulder lightly and hold the pistol grip just tight enough to aim and squeeze the trigger.  My off hand is resting on the front horizontal beam of the rest, not holding the handguard at all.  When the shot goes off the recoil does whatever it does, I don't try to hold the rifle in place.

• 3 weeks later...

nice! this is going with me next range trip! 

I might talk to the R.O. to cut a 3/4" x1/2" grove in the concrete bench? then i dont have to carry more shits? 

ill also ask to bring in some 2x2 and screw it to the wood benches? what could it hurt.. 

Edited by sketch
good shits!

I use a Cabala shooting bench (without the included threaded front prop)  for sitting and clamp a 1"x2" to the place where I need the bipod feet to be,  I do use my tip toes and both shoulders in a prone position to load the bipod.  It also  helps me to also only have the center pad of  the trigger finger on the trigger, and the rest of the trigger finger not touching the side of the receiver and softly squeeze the trigger after doing the inhale then let out half of the air., lock the exhale down,  squeeze....Blam! More  than any thing that will help is to have the proper training from a military rifle  instructor to get you in a proper position and attitude to succeed, then practice dry fireing at a target and practice, practice and, practice live fire, then practice more.  50 rounds per sitting is a good amount, you can never practice too much... BUT practicing with bad position, a sorry sight picture,and poor breathing ,and posture are a sure way to become discouraged.

image.png.cdf30e5fbbe746b2b410fc6d33be59c7.png

Edited by mrmackc

• 2 weeks later...

ok so may sound weird but I take a ratchet strap to the range with me. I secure the s hooks on the edge of the bench close to me and make a loop. I then put the bipod inside the loop and tighten it up then leave alone and use my shoulder and body weight to load the bipod.With a long enough strap you can also do this in prone position by putting a loop on both end and put one end around you foot the other on the bipod and then tighten the strap to your shoulder. I know its not the best and in a shtf situation to much time but it does load the bipod well

1 hour ago, painterman said:

ok so may sound weird but I take a ratchet strap to the range with me. I secure the s hooks on the edge of the bench close to me and make a loop. I then put the bipod inside the loop and tighten it up then leave alone and use my shoulder and body weight to load the bipod.With a long enough strap you can also do this in prone position by putting a loop on both end and put one end around you foot the other on the bipod and then tighten the strap to your shoulder. I know its not the best and in a shtf situation to much time but it does load the bipod well

That's a pretty damn great idea, right there.  :thumbup::hail: