• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Day, 21 April 2019...

98Z5V

I know this is a little premature, and I never do this.  I'm announcing the range day/shoot day for this coming Sunday, because it's kinda special. Not announcing the results afterwards, like usual "Range Days"...

Me and GP John have "received an invitation" from a farmer close to here.  "Y'all can come out here and shoot all you want,  I need some coyotes in return some time." 

That sounds like a trap to me, but whatever.  Will the call come, to come out there and smoke-check coyotes at any time - and do we have to respond within a certain timeframe?  I dunno, but I'm in anyway...  :laffs:

This rancher was more than 2 miles of flat ground that we can shoot.  GP John is getting the hankering for shooting 2 miles now - that the .375 CheyTac is his.  So, this Sunday, we're shooting the .375 CheyTac at 1760 yards.  One mile.  By the end of this week, all the necessary scope-mount parts should be here, in order to make the new scope (on the way, too) make that distance.  Right now, I don't even know where we need to zero that thing at - but I'll figure it out. I've planned out the preliminary dope charts for it, and it's pretty impressive. 

This Sunday is gonna be a hoot. It's like "Pink's All Out..."  We go for it, and either come back with success - or lose our ride...   :lmao:

Here's what I came up with for a dope chart, based on Cheyenne Tactical's load data on the cartridge:

1775173764_375CheyTacDopeChart1.thumb.png.c845cb8d3015115597ad1ace1ec6a862.png

^^^  I only plotted him out to supersonic on that, which was 2,050 yards.  He got this GIANT boner for going 2 miles (3520 yards), so I ran out an additional chart to tack onto that one...

353422742_375CheyTacDopeChart2-mileextensionpast2200yards.thumb.png.8db619a271f7c567c7bd183139b770df.png

His main boner has been getting all the parts to make a scope and scope mount drop 70 mils, so we can do this.  This is insane.  Once we cross that transonic barrier, everything with any dope chart is out the window. There are things out there that can calculate it all, but I haven't upgraded my Kestrel yet to do that. 

One Mile is the goal for this Sunday. TWO MILES is his goal, and it can be done, with this rifle  - we just need to get the right tools to do this...

Never tried that distance with something that wasn't full-auto or huge, issued/available to me, and WAY larger in caliber.  Mk19 does it, as an area target, M-2 HB as an area target, and the 106mm recoilless rifle does it as an area target.  Those are the only 3 things I've ever shot that far. 

We're gonna need ALOT of practice for 6" plates...  And this thing is chambered for $8-bills...    :laffs:

No word on whether all the scope mount parts came in.  Tried to call him twice today, went to VM.  He must have been smoked at the shop - which is good, and bad.  That means he didn't get the damn scope mounted...  :laffs:

DELAY, DELAY, DELAY!!!...   The scope didn't come in yet, as of today, and the wrong adjustable rings came in. We were double screwed, so tomorrow wasn't meant to be.  :bitchslap:

Next Sunday, it's on, though.  And now, back you your regularly scheduled programming...  Please stay tuned for updates...  

• 2 weeks later...

Infinitely delayed, right now - too much personal shiit. We're looking at 3 weeks out now - and it'll be HOT here by then. Whatever.  We'll deal with it.

In the meantime, THIS guy was ready to whip my ass at an intersection.  I kid you not.  He was small, but I was not about to fuk with a baby owl, full of attitude.  He had the look - and I know that look well - this guy was just LOOKING for someone to fuk with him - and it was on... 

He was just chillin', at the stop sign - waiting for that fight...   I love him, for that...   :hail:  I wasn't gonna challenge him...  Bad MotherFucker!...   :embarrassed:

811609962_BabyOwl.thumb.jpg.4264a66889a5c58aecd74d535d773bb4.jpg

I've been dragging deer road kills to a large pasture field across from my property hoping some Coyotes will get on them and we can have some target practice.  I took one over there a few weeks back and within a half hour a young bald Eagle was on it.  A "gang" of vultures arrived soon after and waited with great patience and respect as the Eagle got his fill before leaving.  As I watched thru the scope about 350 yards away I noticed they didn't even try to run him off the carcass, even though they had greater numbers and pretty close in size to him.  Something in nature must tell them that fucking with his is a bad idea........Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so this is finally going down tomorrow.  Kinda.   Last weekend was Mother's Day - that weekend was out.  My parents are snowbirds, and flew back to Ohio last Wednesday, so the past two or three weekends were spent with them, before they flew back. GP John has been busy as well.  So TOMORROW we were taking out the 375 CheyTac and checking out the farm in Gila Bend. 

Last night after work, I went to the shop, and gotthe scope mounted and leveled in the new 40 MOA rings, on the 40 MOA base.  100 rounds of ammo ready to go.

He called me at 1pm today.  Someone called him up and asked if he still had the gun, how much he wanted.  He threw out a ridiculous number.  The guy said he'd take it. 

The gun is sold.

SHIIT!!!   :bitchslap:

We're still going out to the farm in the morning, and checking everything out.  I'll take the .260 and the Win Mag. We'll see what happens. 

Finally did the recon on "the farm" today.  It's a dream for distance-only.  Two straight, flat miles of nothing.  This stretch was specifically designed by the farm owner, to shoot at distance. He disced the area to plant the targets.  He build a 4-foot hill to shoot from.  He cleared all vegetation.  He was there to meet us when we showed up, and gave us a tour guide of the area, and his plan.  It's pretty damn cool, what he did.

He also zapped a coyote last week at 562 yards, off the top of his truck, with a .300 RUM.  I like this guy...   :thumbup:

We got out there, and he had to leave - taking all his workers to a dinner, for everything that they've done in the past few weeks.  It was just me and GP John.  I took the .260, and the Win Mag (to get rid of 165gr soft points that I had).  John took his .308AR and the 6.5 Creed.  The 375 CheyTac was bought out from under us, so we were only there to recon the place, and get some decent distance.  Temp was 82 degrees (unheard of in AZ in mid-May), very overcast with heavy cloud cover, but winds were 7~11mph directly from the west.  We were set up shooting south, so that was a right-to-left wind, variable, and pretty high up there, for this shiit.

We set up ISPC steel plates at 200, 500, 880 (half-mile, and "800 meters" for Mister Eddie), and 1000 yards.  We set up a 6" gong at 300 yards. 

P1080071.thumb.JPG.b8c65789e98b9805438a85933f72a428.JPG

P1080072-2.thumb.jpg.39a0f1b23529009b7bf378969fd0f861.jpg

536241129_P1080072-2composite.thumb.jpg.d8d4d3a89067177bfc09239528906c51.jpg

P1080073-1.thumb.jpg.e97f61bb1825d22bf54d15f176202e41.jpg

I started with the .260, single hits in the 200, 300 and 500. I couldn't hit that damn 880 for anything.  Moved to the 1000, and couldn't hit that thing, either.  John went up, and did the same thing, with his .308.  He switched to the 6.5 Creed, and did the same thing...  That 880 and 1000 weren't gonna be hit today.  Not with the stupid wind we had. 

I'll get target "after" pics up later.  It was a great day, and it was a tough wind.  Not matter what, you always learn something...  

Edited by 98Z5V

Even though I shot High Power matches for several years back in the 1980's  to this day it simply AMAZES me how much effect a little wind can have on the path of a bullet, even bullets at high velocity having excellent ballistics.

Around these parts if you are on to 300 yards or so you're in for ground hog hunting.  There are so many houses these days scattered about on 1-5 acre plots you're lucky to find anyplace you can shoot anyhow.

I'm sure you'll find a much calmer day and have a better report for us on the longer distance targets........Cliff

Dug the targets back out - the little gong at 300 yards is John's so I don't have a pic of that one.

At the end of the day, I got out the .300 Win Mag and got rid of my last box of 165gr softpoints for it.  Only loading up the 225gr Hornady ELD-Ms for awhile into the future.

Here's the 200 yard target.  The Win Mag is zero'd for 225 yards, but not for these 165s.  It's zero'd for the last load I had, and that was the 195 HPBTs.  It did some damage to the steel at 200 yards - kinda surprising how much damage it did, really.  Those 165s had to be screamin'!   John mostly shot his .308 AR, and I was on the .260.  It's easy to tell the difference between the .308 impacts and the .260 impacts.  That .300, though... damn...

1946323879_19May19200yard.thumb.jpg.3d89914069b210f925f76f3b3d6c2c48.jpg

Here's the 500 yard target.  It took the most punishment.

70266382_19May19500yard.thumb.jpg.c72dad37ba093ba0e535af0c044315d5.jpg

Lo and behold, I DID hit the 880 yard target!  Right in the throat!   :banana:  I couldn't tell you which shot this was, but when we walked it the first time, that target was clean.  Sometime between the walk, and pulling targets - I nailed that bastard.  I wore up and down that there were several times that I hit it, chasing wind, then not seeing any dust - "Has to be a hit!"   Yeah, not so much.  One of them got in there though.

1743734894_19May19880yard.thumb.jpg.5bbc0c8391494856cd21eec652beac68.jpg

Here's the 1000 yard target.  It was clean when we walked it, and it was clean when we went to pull 'em - so it got hit with the pistol...   :banana:

634021941_19May191000yard.thumb.jpg.aba5f74ecaaaf7b0589458f2dee4771c.jpg

Great day - BADASS setup for shooting distance!  Very tough day with the full-value wind. Overall, still a great day.

15 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

Next time !

But look at the bright side ... John saved all those 8 $ bills.

The guy backed out of the purchase...    :banana:   Sucks, the commitment and everything, cash, all that.  Bonus - I still have a 375 CheyTac to shoot!...   :laffs: