• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Closet look at Bear Creek Arsenal 16” barrel

haewired

So I’m shopping on line for a 308 AR barrel and I come across this sale.  A 16” 1/10 Stainless Steel barrel with a Mid length gas system for the low low price of $50.  FIFTY DOLLARS with a guarantee of 1MOA accuracy...  WHY NOT?!?!?  Ok, So I haven’t used it yet but I thought I’d share with you what it looks like up close.  

First impression, it looks decent.  It ain’t no Kreiger or Criterion but it doesn’t look bad.  The muzzle lacks a crown, and the threads could use some cleaning up.  I threaded on a flash hider and it seemed to be a little rough but not too bad either.  The barrel extension was clean and the gas port allowed me to drop in my drill bit that measured 0.75” as far as I can remember off hand.

Honestly for the price, I don’t think you can go wrong as long as you know what you’re getting.  I think if you add a crown, it just might improve groups.  For what it is though, I’d just leave it alone unless you can get it done well and economically.  For $50?  I say why not?

D88791CF-BFF8-4114-8A5D-B3327A2A4E71.jpeg

2F941EDF-45E1-48FF-BE99-1126E9140037.jpeg

87C2362D-77A4-4B8F-9564-968A205BBC72.jpeg

6D335CAC-1834-48DD-AB11-0A60BDB0CC52.jpeg

24562DBD-B2BC-404E-95F5-888D14BE295E.jpeg

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:41 AM, sketch said:

looks good for a thumper truck/car/suv..  gun! ad a law tactical 3 folder and put it behind the seat! 

Not in this state my brother. That's something that would make all the bed-wetting liberals in Annapolis very, very sad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I haven't measured any of those groups but I didn't think the where to bad considering the ammo & shooting off a bi-pod. Here's the setup I was shooting. That's a older pic I only had 200+ round through it then. Also that barrel is strange. When cold I'll get some strange groups, but when I gets hotter it seems to get tighter groups.

20190619_104440.jpg

Edited by Lr-308FUn

• 1 month later...

After viewing the BCA all their .308 barrels are advertised as having AR-10 feed ramps is this compatible with LR-308/ DPMS? I was under the impression after purchasing my Aero M5 Rec set I need a barrel with M4 barrel extension. Any help/ advice from someone who has purchased a BCA barrel would be greatly appreciative.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:11 AM, Blowndeadline said:

After viewing the BCA all their .308 barrels are advertised as having AR-10 feed ramps is this compatible with LR-308/ DPMS? I was under the impression after purchasing my Aero M5 Rec set I need a barrel with M4 barrel extension. Any help/ advice from someone who has purchased a BCA barrel would be greatly appreciative.

I called them and emailed them to get an answer and they are DPMS extensions.  I even told them to make things more clear and pick a side. I dont think they cared.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, Chuck Plissken said:

I called them and emailed them to get an answer and they are DPMS extensions.  I even told them to make things more clear and pick a side. I dont think they cared.

This is why we all have to be careful with what we order and how we refer to our rifles.

So many aftermarket manufacturers and retailers think "AR-10" is a generic term for these rifles, just like "AR-15" is for small-frames. In fact, "AR-10" is a very specific specification, as is "LR-308", "GII," "SR-25," "PA-10," the list goes on. So many manufacturers, in the interest of "standardizing the industry," have gone and created their own unique versions, which just muddies up the water even more.

Bottom line, no matter what a website says (or even a person on the phone, unless they're extremely familiar with the nuances), expect there's a good chance the parts you order won't fit.

2 minutes ago, COBrien said:

This is why we all have to be careful with what we order and how we refer to our rifles.

So many aftermarket manufacturers and retailers think "AR-10" is a generic term for these rifles, just like "AR-15" is for small-frames. In fact, "AR-10" is a very specific specification, as is "LR-308", "GII," "SR-25," "PA-10," the list goes on. So many manufacturers, in the interest of "standardizing the industry," have gone and created their own unique versions, which just muddies up the water even more.

Bottom line, no matter what a website says (or even a person on the phone, unless they're extremely familiar with the nuances), expect there's a good chance the parts you order won't fit.

And that is why we help people out on this website 😂

BTW I got one of their AR15 barrels and it "looks"great, haven't shot it yet !

• 10 months later...

I am new to the LR.308 after buildong a dozen or so 15's and yes, its easy to make mistakes.  Ive already made the hi/lo profile mistake with the M5 receiver.  I was concerned I wasnt going to find an M5 lower and almost bought a PSA and reading this and similar threads, very glad I didnt.  A member here pointed me to an M5 lower to match the upper and I am very thankful.  Of course Primary Arms sends me a "Back in Stock" four days later at $25 less.  No big on the price I already knew this build was going to be expensive and resigned to do what is necessary.

Ive used one BCA branded 5.56 barrel and own an AR Stoner  a.k.a. BCA .300 Black Out stainless barrel and its highly accurate.  BCA can be hit or miss at times but at the price point, you can build a decent rifle you dont have to baby, worried about any scratch or ding.  Some will anyway, and I am at the opposite end of the spectrum.  My rifles are tools, just like whats on my work truck and I dont worry about cosmetics much, just take care of the working parts and keep it as clean as possible.

Build up that BCA barrel and shoot the piss out of it.  Report back on your impressions.

Good luck!

Edited by StvHlhn