• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spending moratorium

I went on a spending blitz since my interest in the 308 woke up again.  I bought an upper,  and a lower.  Got in under $700,  good to go,  right?  No.  Ammo for the first hundred break in period was next.  Might as well buy some match ammo as well.  Let's go to the range.  No.  Heard about gassing,  recoil and some other challenges,  solve problem beforehand,  right?  1095 spring,  buffer of correct weight and some spare ejector and other springs,  cryo treated of course.  Well I'm buying and my desire is growing and I may as well save some money and reload.  Oh boy.  1lb.  powder,  well if I buy 8#'s  I'll save even more.  Dang, even brass is costly.  Who cares I'm on a roll.  Bullets,  168's  for sure.  Do I have 308 dies,  well let's check.  45 acp dies,  45 Colt,  oh I have 2- 45 Colt sets how the heck did that happen?  223 rifle dies, all never opened.  Lee classic turret kit,  opened never used,  found it behind three MEC machines.  Where are those primers I bought?  Here they are,  where's the box cutter I haven't opened this box yet.  1000 shotshell primers W209,  nope no LR.  Not a one to be found.  I see no sights either, hmm what to do.  Holosun 510C unopened in box,  bought 6/18/2018.  6.8 spc dies sitting next to 30-06 Lapua brass and Hornady large box of Cowboy 255 g. 45 bullets.  Never opened.  Still two cabinets I haven't opened,  Lord knows what's in there.  

I'm sitting on the sidelines until July 4th before spending more money.  Well er maybe.  Nope no new money being spent.  No disposable income toward this new interest.  What about old money,  selling some stuff and using that?  Damn this 308 fever has a mind of its own.  My wife,  the bookkeeper,  is on to me.  I got the  " What this charge...and what is this one for?"  She really was a bookkeeper and that's both a curse and a blessing.  With all the stories and explanations I come up with,  her answer is always precipitated with "  Numbers don't lie."  

Is there any unopened stuff in your gun cabinet?  I can't be the only one

Coming to this forum is very very expensive. Reloading actually helps. You spend those hours at the reloading bench, instead of thinking about what you need to buy next. It does slow down on its own after about six years, then again, maybe not.🤥

13 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Thank you all,  it's comforting knowing I'm not alone.  According to the Mrs. I'm the only one who buys and then not use it immediately.  Bought a surplus rifle because I had some 8mm laying around.

That is truly 308AR logic.

6 hours ago, DNP said:

That’s logical. Nothing wrong there. Ammo is worthless without a rifle to feed it to. You actually created value out of junk you just had lying around...

I have a box of 10mm ammo that I will have a gun to use it in at some point in time.  It is a sickness.  I would have had on if I didn't scratch my 450 itch first.:lmao:. I didn't even have ammo for that one.

I have ammo for another rifle caliber in my safe.  I don't remember exactly what it is and I avoid that corner so I don't get that fever as well.

8 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I have a box of 10mm ammo that I will have a gun to use it in at some point in time.  It is a sickness.  I would have had on if I didn't scratch my 450 itch first.:lmao:. I didn't even have ammo for that one.

I have ammo for another rifle caliber in my safe.  I don't remember exactly what it is and I avoid that corner so I don't get that fever as well.

We are well and truly screwed, aren’t we?

Take down wrench goes to the gun in my avatar. so does the firing pins in the other, the four bolts on the left are MG 34 bolts, next is a full auto bolt out of a M-16A1. next is an M-1 Thompson bolt and the other is a S&W M-76 bolt. I have a lot of Machine gun parts I bought before the ban when they were cheap and plentiful, but unfortunately they can only be used to replace a worn or broken part on existing guns. Now that M-16 bolt would work to build a AR15 with.

39 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

I built an ar-40 pistol and an ar-40 carbine because I had 2000 rounds of xtreme 180 gr pills on the shelf, and a lot of primers, brass, and powder laying around...

More 308AR logic. Its like a snow ball rolling downhill.❄️:fullauto:

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

I built an ar-40 pistol and an ar-40 carbine because I had 2000 rounds of xtreme 180 gr pills on the shelf, and a lot of primers, brass, and powder laying around...

I've got a shiitload of .270 brass I'll send you.   It was given to me with other brass, I don't have a .270, and I'm not going to build one up.  Brass is free, and I will even donate the shipping.  Just don't wanna see brass go to waste...  :thumbup: