• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Illinois Marijuana Legalization

dafish

Folks, I occasionally post on a VMAX forum, RZR forums, even a Glock forum.  Here however seems to be the correct forum for a liitte response I've mentioned to a few friends and family I'd make publicly available.   My best wishes to you if you don't agree, for its probably more important that we be able to disagree.

All the best,

D

I’ve been asked by a number of friends and family my thoughts on Illinois’s approval of marijuana for recreational use.   Here are those thoughts.

While I support the legalization of recreational marijuana use under the right circumstances, what I have read of the 231 pages of the Illinois bill suggests it is inadequate.  My primary objections revolve around the mistake that marijuana can be treated “just like alcohol”, that is seems done to curry public opinion, particularly of the inner city, and that the state appears to have a strong financial motivation.  Nor have  me readings shown adequate measures on managing abuse and preventing same.

And on expunging prior arrest records?  I’m curious, does this mean all those speeding tickets I got on the interstate before the speed limit was raised to 70mph are now void?  Because that’s clearly the message…   I don’t want to be too anal, but we’re not allowed to pick and chose what laws we’re going to obey.  That’s not how society works folks. (Did these people just skip sociology or something?)

Mind you I’m not a fan of most Illinois politicians and their lack of comprehension between the words “Leadership” and “Popularity”, so I’m not all that surprised.

Disclosure Of Critical Opinions:

1)      I see 420 as both a gateway drug and a demotivator.   

2)      I’m certain social media is now allowing emotional bullying around the clock, young adults are particularly at risk, and the effects can harm long term mental health.   This emotional stress will lead to mental and emotional escapism, yet we’ve legitimized a demotivating gateway drug that will be used as the escape.   Will it always lead to demotivation and further abuse?  Of course not.  But maturity seems the key determinate, and again young adults are at risk.  Now not just from the drug, but from the implicit message.

3)      We blame everybody and everything we can for the problems our nation faces:  Gun violence, drug abuse, child abuse, and prejudice, just to name a few.  Yet the root problem is our nations ethics, beliefs, and value systems are deeply compromised.  To be blunt it’s not the gun, it’s the shooter.  Not the drug or the child, but the abuser.  Nor is it the race or the religion, but the ego and absence of morals and integrity of the bully.   This can’t be fixed by laws, it requires a commitment to re-attaining the behaviors and value systems held by our forefathers but abandoned today.     And once again, escapism just makes it worse.

(We need responsible news media instead of “media for profit” too, but that’s another day).

Governance Goals Of A Bill I Would Have Supported:

1)      Someone of adequate maturity who wants to get stoned occasionally should be able to.

2)      However, we must first recognize the problems and issues in our society and address how this drug can affect those problems.

3)      Meanwhile the rights and safety of others, especially the unborn, and that of employers should not be compromised.

4)      Abusers should stand at risk.

5)      Taxes and fees raised should contribute to improving the mental health and futures of our children first.  The state can benefit, but neither popularity nor profit should be the states primary motive. 

6)      If we’re to “give” on freedoms we should “get” on increases in personal responsibility.

What Exactly Would I Want?

11)      A prerequisite of a balanced state budget. 

22)      35% of each preceding years 420 related taxes and fees given as additional funding for mental health screening and care for all junior and high school students, with focuses on bullying, depression, violence, and abuse.

33)      Education reform - 20% goes to additional funding for:

a.       Drug and alcohol abuse classes at junior and high schools, 1 hour each, every other calendar month school is in session.

b.       Increased focus on classes on ethics, social responsibility, anti-bullying, respect for all mankind, and on our responsibility as stewards of the planet.  Grades 5 -12.   Classes should be at least semi weekly and for at least 45 minutes.

44)      25% of the tax going to state debt relief.

a.       Should the state not have or maintain a balanced budget the states debt relief allocation would be given to the “Prevent Child Abuse America” charity on an immediate, and ongoing monthly, basis.

55)      20% of the tax proceeds going to federal debt relief if the federal government has obtained a balance budget, else proceeds go to state debt relief (which it can keep, balanced budget or no).

66)      Laws and methods such that:

a.       It is a Class A misdemeanor for distribution to anyone under the age of 18.  Repeat offenses committed after the first conviction are class 4 felonies and increase in severity “class” per repeat conviction cycle.

i.      The “Lookback” window is 10 years.

b.       Provision to anyone under the age of 13 starts as a class 2 felony.

c.       Possession by anyone under 25 results in the loss of drivers license, or delay in eligibility for same, by one year.

d.       The use or provision to anyone known to be pregnant is a Class X felony.  A repeat charge should be tried under voluntary manslaughter laws.

e.       Sales and possession be legalized only to those >25 years of age, or to any military veteran having served 2 years or more.

f.        Driving under the influence: 

i.      >5ng/ml (whole blood, taken at the scene), or,

ii.      >3ng/ml and <.05% BAC

g.       Employers have the right to discriminate against employees >1ng/ml when on the job.

h.       Welfare and unemployment comp be denied to those with >1ng/ml Monday through Friday.

i.      Chronic pain or medical need may be exempted.

1.       Doctors reporting may be evaluated for abuse.

i.         Classes of jobs and privileges must be <.5ng/ml while on the job.

i.      Pilots

ii.      Physicians/nurses.

iii.      First responders/LEO.

j.         Concealed Carry licensees be revoked for >.5mg over two tests 22-36 hours apart (shortest possible)

i.      May be randomly screened by issuing state or by a LEO incident resulting in a >2mg first test.

k.       Insurance companies be allowed to decline or increase rates for those testing >1ng/ml twice in a 24 period.

l.         All LEO have portable blood test equipment and training in place before the laws are implemented.

77)      The “Personal Responsibility Laws” in exchange:

a.       Cell phone texting be blocked on any device moving > 4Mph, with any “bypass” or “texting equivalent” apps being:

i.      Outlawed in the state.

ii.      Grounds for loss of drivers license for 1 year.

iii.      Mobile devices excepted from search restriction by LEO in the event to of reasonable suspicion.  Refusal equivalent to conviction.

b.       Anti-vaccination laws limited to medical reasons only, by in state physicians only, with physicians credentials on the line for excessive or non-justifiable certifications.

c.       The return of the pledge of allegiance, every day, for every student, of every age, throughout the state.

i.      Non US residents may abstain while under visa.

ii.      Parents not believing in God may instruct their child to skip the words “under God”.

iii.      Led monthly, in every public or charter school, by an active duty service member.

7 hours ago, dafish said:

Folks, I occasionally post on a VMAX forum, RZR forums, even a Glock forum. 

You ever get stuck on a RZR question, lemme know.  I've been working on these things for a long, long time.  There's a lot of BS on RZR Forums, too.  I've solved alot of problems for that company, that they didn't even know about.  I started their gas-tank recall, that they issued to dealers in August 2015 - except my 6 gas tank problems all happened within a week, in April 2015.  Took that long...

• 1 year later...

I don't think we should blame marijuana or the abnormal use of guns in the late years in our country. The main issue here is the violence and extreme attitude of divide and conquer held by our government. I strongly believe that marijuana is something that can create a lot of beneficial circumstances for so many patients that need it and are not trying to get high on it. 

11 minutes ago, Benhart said:

I don't think we should blame marijuana or the abnormal use of guns in the late years in our country. The main issue here is the violence and extreme attitude of divide and conquer held by our government. I strongly believe that marijuana is something that can create a lot of beneficial circumstances for so many patients that need it and are not trying to get high on it. 

Also, Illinois could look at the Canadian way of dealing with the drug lords on the streets and implement a meal service like https://www.mailorder-marijuana.com/ does for some of my friends in Canada. They can choose the quality and the mound and everything it's legal and controlled without having to go in the street and buy it illegally.

• 6 months later...
On 12/29/2021 at 6:26 PM, marymclean said:

Actually, I agree with this new Marijuana Legalization. People used to buy it from dark and unsafe people because they wanted to smoke. Now they can produce it themselves or buy it from safe companies. It's safer for the population. And it's good for the economy. I won't be surprised if this will bring Illinois to the top. This is actually an idea I developed while searching through the site of https://parsl.co. They are looking forward to the safe usage of marijuana. They see the incredible potential and want to introduce it to people's mindsets.

Well, I can tell you your wrong. Not with your concepts but in what happens with execution. “Black market” pot sales have been driven up by the over taxing and high prices by dispensaries. Money from said sales have increased violence including a spike in gun violence. Lots of false ideals being pedaled by people in position to prosper from their positions.

As far as production at home, that’s fine but rarely meets consumption levels and more of a hobby.

Nothing wrong with the plant, nor it’s many benefits, lots of backwards thinkers out there to dump on it.

42 minutes ago, marymclean said:

buy it from safe companies. It's safer for the population. And it's good for the economy.

I worry way more about corporations poisoning me than Bob down the street. I don't like the idea of government regulating something they have no business regulating. Making it criminal in the first place does just that makes it a criminal thing. I see gambling the same way, none of their business, and just like pot only the select will be allowed to profit...... and the state of course. The only way crime leaves a sector is when the profit is gone, the only way that happens is for government to leave people unto themselves. 

Legalize it all, hand out the strongest crack and heroin you can for free, it will be a rough couple years but a lot smarter populace in the end.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Legalize it all, hand out the strongest crack and heroin you can for free, it will be a rough couple years but a lot smarter populace in the end.

My dad said this basic thing for years. (RIP). He said to put it on a street corner and let people get what they want and see if they survive.