• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First AR308 Build - Aero M5/Atlas R-One

gnumadic

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gnumadic,   hope you post pics.   If I had a restart I'd consider the M5/Atlas combo over my first choice.   

I am curious about the gas block/tube clearance under the smaller Atlas.   Any issues there or are we good-to-go.   

Still tempted to change my mind.   Would just be the cost of the upper and hand guard till I turned them over on GB or EBay.    

8 hours ago, SgtDog0311 said:

gnumadic,   hope you post pics.   If I had a restart I'd consider the M5/Atlas combo over my first choice.   

I am curious about the gas block/tube clearance under the smaller Atlas.   Any issues there or are we good-to-go.   

Still tempted to change my mind.   Would just be the cost of the upper and hand guard till I turned them over on GB or EBay.    

I will definitely post pics! Barrel is supposed to come tomorrow, but I probably need to wait several weeks before ordering the rest of the parts...or at least before I begin the actual build process. There are a few honey-do projects that must be completed first. That's my first problem. And the second problem is I'm running out of gun storage!

I have the original M4 size of the Atlas S-One on my 6.5 Grendel build. I love the slim feel, but there is not much clearance for a 0.750 gas block. I wish Aero Precision had added just a little more room. It has an SLR GB7 (non-adjustable, set screw) gas block on it and it's tight. It would be hard to fit a clamp-on style or adjustable gas-block in there.

IMG_4287.thumb.jpg.e70d8fa8c566ead5498823e9bf044892.jpgIMG_4290.thumb.jpg.53b8373947e667ab9cb8c07c7e3a3016.jpg

However, with the AR308 being a bigger platform the M5 Atlas R-One (and I'm assuming the S-One) looks to have about an additional 0.25" of width over the AR15 version. Vertical space is good, too. I think most gas blocks would be GTG. On a side note, I really like the attachment system on the Atlas series. It's very easy to remove the handguard for cleaning/maintenance.

IMG_4283.thumb.jpg.3e1360e2a69c630431c556c3fc056cdd.jpgIMG_4279.thumb.jpg.6910307015c6bb2e5cce95266ff89905.jpg

Edited by gnumadic

• 5 months later...

This is an older thread but as the OP I wanted to provide an update since I finally have all parts needed for the build. I placed the bulk of the remaining parts orders at the end of April, but due to COVID delays it took almost 4 weeks for some of them to arrive.

IMG_6173.thumb.jpg.ab68abefa3cab7ea0c5831e80a294651.jpg

I'll post another update and range report when the build is complete. Unfortunately, with all of the house projects that were going on my workbench area has become a little cluttered!

IMG_6170.thumb.JPG.013f19b90b53de58212ff8202b03455d.JPG

On 6/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, 98Z5V said:

Working on a  baseboard heater there?  Nice, man.  I love people that fix their own stuff.   :thumbup:

Working on it?  I think he’s trying to keep the temp up in the dungeon. 

16 minutes ago, DNP said:

That's not a dungeon - that's a man-paradise.  It's a get-away, towards some semblance of man-freedom...  :thumbup::hail:

2 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Maybe add remote access so we could all  'help' with the temperature control :laffs:

So I'm on the job at the first Presbyterian Church doing an install. This was one of the few remaining structures to survive the Chicago fire. Complete retrofit for what was once coal fired gravity system. One of the people pulled me over to complain about the room being to warm. Told my guys I would be right back,walked out took a leak came back and asked her how it was now. She said it was perfect thank me profusely and I went about my business. This is the metering device made from red brass float is copper formed crimped and sodered for the humidification and float. 

IMG_20200607_124534315.jpg

IMG_20200607_124502224.jpg

IMG_20200607_124521991.jpg

12 hours ago, DNP said:

Haha, you are correct! I use the heater to keep that corner of the garage warm in winter. It's actually working fine last time I checked.

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Dude, you need a bigger workbench, seriously! You don't have near enough junk collected!:laffs:

I've got about 25' of work bench, THAT is a serious collection of crap!:lmao:

Yep, the whole garage needs an enema there's so much crap piled in it. I think the fall project is a storage shed to get the bikes, lawn equipment, and kayaks out of there. But I still think my wife and 4 kids' marginal propensity to consume space has me doomed to fail for the foreseeable future.

Edited by gnumadic

5 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Dude, you need a bigger workbench, seriously! You don't have near enough junk collected!:laffs:

I've got about 25' of work bench, THAT is a serious collection of crap!:lmao:

2 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Nature abhors space on a workbench... regardless of the bench size

That's why I try not to have too many flat surfaces around my place. Because they tend to "gather" stuff.

4 hours ago, unforgiven said:

So I'm on the job at the first Presbyterian Church doing an install. This was one of the few remaining structures to survive the Chicago fire. Complete retrofit for what was once coal fired gravity system. One of the people pulled me over to complain about the room being to warm. Told my guys I would be right back,walked out took a leak came back and asked her how it was now. She said it was perfect thank me profusely and I went about my business. This is the metering device made from red brass float is copper formed crimped and sodered for the humidification and float. 

IMG_20200607_124534315.jpg

IMG_20200607_124502224.jpg

IMG_20200607_124521991.jpg

I love the old control systems, did some upgrades in a power plant built in 1935 with some of the old stuff still there, a couple silos(Vancouver Harbour) and an old suger plant(1940s). The old electro-mechanical system have a bit of a steam punk feel to them.

Foundation walls were a little over 4' thick having to boar for new utilities. Door to the pulpit was open sooo I go up to the mike and telling my Tinner brothers " Welcome my brother raccoons" from Jackie Gleason.. and I sounded like the Man from the heavens. :lmao:  we signed the ductwork in a space no one will ever be in. It's been a great privilege and an honor to have had the opportunity to help build America. 

3 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Foundation walls were a little over 4' thick having to boar for new utilities. Door to the pulpit was open sooo I go up to the mike and telling my Tinner brothers " Welcome my brother raccoons" from Jackie Gleason.. and I sounded like the Man from the heavens. :lmao:  we signed the ductwork in a space no one will ever be in. It's been a great privilege and an honor to have had the opportunity to help build America. 

I've done similar stuff like that over the years. Somewhere, where nobody will ever find it. I've always signed poop "Why Me?" (AKA....written on a wall, pipe or ductwork somewhere). The funny thing was years later, somewhere in the early 2000's. I ran into an maintenance engineer, who had happened to work in the first commercial office building (years later obviously) that I had started my career in, back in the mid 80's. He was telling me how he found that someone had written (all over the building in weird, hard to get to areas) the puzzling "Why Me?"

I was laughing as I was telling him that it was me that had written it.

You guys reminded me of an incident from back in 1975 that happened when I was working at a Chevrolet dealership.

We had a guy that detailed cars and was pretty good at troubleshooting strange noises and water leaks in cars. He told me he had been messing with a customer's Cadillac that had a really annoying rattle in it and had found out what it was. He narrowed it down to the front passenger door and when he pulled the door panel off there was a Coke bottle in the bottom of the door. He said there was a note in it that said "Finally found it didn't you, you rich SOB!":lmao: