• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First AR308 Build - Aero M5/Atlas R-One

gnumadic

Hi, Like many on this section of the forum I'm in the process of building my first AR308. I've done four AR15 platform builds (5.56, 6.5 Grendel, and .300 BLK). For this build I picked up a few parts on Black Friday, but I don't plan on any additional purchases until early spring (too many house projects to finish first).

Below is my parts list. I am sharing it in case there is any feedback around compatibility.

After a bunch of research, I think I've chosen the right buffer length and spring combo for the UBR extension tube (i.e., A5 length). In other words, I would remove the spacer from the UBR and use a standard AR15 3.25" H3 carbine buffer instead of a DPMS patterned 2.5" .308 buffer--since the extended buffer tube is 0.75" longer than a standard carbine buffer tube. And if I wanted a heavier buffer than the 5.4 oz H3 buffer, I could go with the Heavy Buffers 8.5 oz XH Carbine Buffer/Spring set (a little pricier at $140).

The only other part I'm not 100% on is the gas tube. I've also read where, because of lack of standards between manufacturers, it might not be long enough and cause short stroking.

Upper/ Lower Component Description MSRP Sale Price Disc % Tax + Ship Total Vendor Bought
Both Receiver Set Aero Precision M5 Receiver Set $287.98 $169.99 -40.97% $13.60 $183.59 Aero Precision Y
Upper Handguard Aero Precision M5 Atlas R-One 15" Handguard - Black $209.99 $114.99 -45.24% $9.89 $124.88 Arm or Ally Y
Upper Barrel 18" .308 Heavy Profile Rifle Length Fluted AR 308 Barrel, Premium Series $320.00 $224.00 -30.00% $0.00 $224.00 Ballistic Advantage Y
Upper BCG Toolcraft AR10 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group $249.99 $154.99 -38.00% $13.33 $168.32 Arm or Ally  
Lower Stock MAGPUL UBR GEN 2 ADJ STK - Grey (A5 receiver tube) $199.95 $152.01 -23.98% $10.00 $162.01 Lanbo's  
Upper Gas Block SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Set Screw Adjustable Gas Block - .750 (.450" Set Screw Spacing) $119.99 $95.00 -20.83% $7.85 $102.85 Right to Bear  
Lower Trigger LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger $99.00 $80.00 -19.19% $0.00 $80.00 LaRue  
Upper Charging Handle Radian Weapons Raptor-LT, 7.62MM, For AR10/SR25, Grey Finish $71.20 $57.43 -19.34% $0.00 $57.43 Lanbo's  
Lower Buffer Luth-AR Triple Tungsten H3 Buffer, For AR Rifles CS-T3 (carbine length) $52.63 $37.10 -29.51% $0.00 $37.10 Lanbo's  
Lower Lower Parts Kit CMMG Lower Receiver Parts Kit, 308 Win, Without Grip/Fire Control Group $49.95 $38.66 -22.60% $0.00 $38.66 Lanbo's  
Lower Safety RADIAN TALON SFTY SLCTR 2 LEVER BLK $47.45 $38.28 -19.33% $0.00 $38.28 Lanbo's  
Lower Grip Magpul MOE-K2 Pistol Grip - Stealth Gray $19.90 $12.87 -35.33% $0.00 $12.87 Lanbo's  
Upper Gas Tube Spike's Tactical Rifle Length Gas Tube, Black Nitride Finish SUGT0M4 $14.40 $12.47 -13.40% $0.00 $12.47 Lanbo's  
Upper Forward Assist Luth-AR Forward Assist Assembly $11.23 $8.75 -22.08% $0.00 $8.75 Lanbo's  
Upper Dust Cover Ejection Port Dust Cover, Black Armor-Tuff®, .308 WIN $10.95 $10.95 0.00% $0.00 $10.95 Wilson Combat  
Upper Muzzle Brake .308 Standard barrel thread protector 5/8 x 24 thread Stainless 5/8 long #3134 $9.99 $9.99 0.00% $0.00 $9.99 Down Range  
Lower Buffer Spring Luth-AR Rifle Buffer Spring, .308/7.62NATO, Fits A2 Rifle Length Receiver Extension $6.53 $5.78 -11.49% $0.00 $5.78 Lanbo's  
          0.00% $0.00 $0.00    

Total $1,781.13 $1,223.26 -31.32% $54.67 $1,277.93    

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gnumadic said:

in case there is any feedback

Consider using the Armalite 6-Position Receiver Extension Kit, comes with everything you need and is a known to be reliable system, also a good price. It is the equivalent to the A5 system you mention above using an H3 buffer. They show out of stock right now but if you call them they may be able to fix you up.

EDIT; I know nothing of the UBR so compatibility with it would need to be verified.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

Edited by jtallen83

OP, as you know, that UBR Gen 2 has the receiver extension incorporated into it, and it's internal depth is 7 5/8".  You are correct on the buffer choice -either the Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer, or any other AR15 Carbine H3 buffers - since those two things are identical.  FOr the UBR Gen 2, all you need is the buffer and spring - use the Armalite EA1095 recoil spring.  Buffer, spring, stock - done.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

The UBR is a great stock. Just be ready for it's weight. It's a little on the heavy side, but it's also solid as a rock. I've got one (Gen 1) on a 16" AR10 carbine that I built years ago. The weight of the stock (in my opinion) actually balances very well with the rest of the rifle.

Plus....when the rifle goes "click" instead of "bang", you can swing that thing around and use it as a club. Extremely solid.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, Rsquared said:

The UBR is a great stock. Just be ready for it's weight. It's a little on the heavy side, but it's also solid as a rock. I've got one (Gen 1) on a 16" AR10 carbine that I built years ago. The weight of the stock (in my opinion) actually balances very well with the rest of the rifle.

Plus....when the rifle goes "click" instead of "bang", you can swing that thing around and use it as a club. Extremely solid.

Yeah when i purchased the stock for my .260, i picked the heaviest collapsible stock I could find that was my style. I did this on purpose to balance the rifle knowing i was gonna have a thicker, heavier barrel putting a lot of weight to the front.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:26 PM, Ravenworks said:

^^this right there^^^

Wait until the BA barrels go on sale at Primary arms and you'll save at least half.

Is there something about the Aero lower parts kit that would make it more compatible with their receiver set, versus say the CMMG kit? I understand the CMMG is "Compatible with CMMG Mk3 Lowers and most LR308 type lowers," so I suppose there's no guarantee it'll work with the Aero M5 (but both are DPMS patterned?).

I have already purchased the barrel from Ballistic Advantage directly on their Black Friday sale. Sadly, they still haven't shipped it. I did the same with the receiver set--direct from Aero--and got it last week.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:55 PM, 98Z5V said:

OP, as you know, that UBR Gen 2 has the receiver extension incorporated into it, and it's internal depth is 7 5/8".  You are correct on the buffer choice -either the Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer, or any other AR15 Carbine H3 buffers - since those two things are identical.  FOr the UBR Gen 2, all you need is the buffer and spring - use the Armalite EA1095 recoil spring.  Buffer, spring, stock - done.   :thumbup:

Thanks for the confirmation and parts! I've seen some folks lavish praise on the Heavy Buffers. Is the expense worth it?

12 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Yeah when i purchased the stock for my .260, i picked the heaviest collapsible stock I could find that was my style. I did this on purpose to balance the rifle knowing i was gonna have a thicker, heavier barrel putting a lot of weight to the front.

That's kind of why I settled on the UBR2. Beyond the design of having a consistent cheek weld regardless of extension length, I felt like the added weight would help with the heavier (although fluted) barrel. I have an 18" Faxon barrel, designed by the 6.5 Grendel forum guy, that has more of the weight concentrated near the chamber end of the barrel. It feels lighter and swings better than my 16" SPR 5.56 build.

4 minutes ago, gnumadic said:

Is there something about the Aero lower parts kit that would make it more compatible with their receiver set, versus say the CMMG kit? I understand the CMMG is "Compatible with CMMG Mk3 Lowers and most LR308 type lowers," so I suppose there's no guarantee it'll work with the Aero M5 (but both are DPMS patterned?).

I have already purchased the barrel from Ballistic Advantage directly on their Black Friday sale. Sadly, they still haven't shipped it. I did the same with the receiver set--direct from Aero--and got it last week.

Yeah, the AP bolt catch, and the threaded pins that Aero includes.  For their receivers.  CMMG won't include those threaded pins that you need.  Oh, and CMMG parts in your gun will make your gun fail, over time, because they suck.  @Robocop1051, looking out for you, brother.  :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, gnumadic said:

Thanks for the confirmation and parts! I've seen some folks lavish praise on the Heavy Buffers. Is the expense worth it?

You run that UBR 2, with an AR15 H3 buffer, and the spring that I told you - the Armalite EA1095 spring - and your recoil system will NOT be a problem that you have in your gun.  I guarantee you that, myself, and I'll buy the parts back from you if that's the problem that you're having.  Full cost that you incurred, and I'll pay the shipping to me. 

29 minutes ago, gnumadic said:

i believe either the pivot pin or the takedown pin is a different length than pins in other recievers

Edited by sagebrush
incomplete sentence

I once diagnosed a catastrophic failure for a shooter. I came to find out that he had sucked up a CMMG roll pin with his shop vac, while cleaning his garage. Merely the proximity to the pin was causing issues.  We dumped the vac waste in the neighbors garbage can, and were able to get back to shooting shortly there after. Unfortunately, his neighbor was not a gun owner, and contracted a rare and incurable disease. Apparently the CMMG curse turns fatal when it can’t attach to a firearm. The house was struck by lightening during dinner, and a comet landed on his car that night. Report said that God himself was pissed and cleansed the fuck outta that place. 

Moral to this story. Don’t buy CMMG or Trump will kill a puppy. 

7 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

I once diagnosed a catastrophic failure for a shooter. I came to find out that he had sucked up a CMMG roll pin with his shop vac, while cleaning his garage. Merely the proximity to the pin was causing issues.  We dumped the vac waste in the neighbors garbage can, and were able to get back to shooting shortly there after. Unfortunately, his neighbor was not a gun owner, and contracted a rare and incurable disease. Apparently the CMMG curse turns fatal when it can’t attach to a firearm. The house was struck by lightening during dinner, and a comet landed on his car that night. Report said that God himself was pissed and cleansed the fornicate outta that place. 

Moral to this story. Don’t buy CMMG or Trump will kill a puppy. 

Fucking EPIC, brother...   :laffs::lmao::hail:

That's exactly how I feel about PSA PA-10s...   You can MAKE them work, with WORK.  It's the lowest level of "probably operational for most people with most Wal-Mart ammo most of the time"...  but it's far from a functional gun, as you receive it. That's why they're as cheap as they are. The only thing you could do worse is buy something from Davidson Defense, or any other name that that POS company operates under.

The PSA PA-10 won't categorically destroy your life, like CMMG parts will do, but it'll leave you pissed off until you get it right, and make it run - by making your own modifications to it that WILL make it run right.  PSA certainly won't do it for you, with that "Lifetime Guarantee."  

P.S.  An adjustable gas block is NOT your answer to a PSA PA-10, to calm it's "over-gassing."  It's not even possibly over-gassed, when it ships with a gas port diameter in it's barrels that is UNDER-SIZED...  That's Unpossible...  

That's a hint...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Fucking EPIC, brother...   :laffs::lmao::hail:

That's exactly how I feel about PSA PA-10s...   You can MAKE them work, with WORK.  It's the lowest level of "probably operational for most people with most Wal-Mart ammo most of the time"...  but it's far from a functional gun, as you receive it. That's why they're as cheap as they are. The only thing you could do worse is buy something from Davidson Defense, or any other name that that POS company operates under.

The PSA PA-10 won't categorically destroy your life, like CMMG parts will do, but it'll leave you pissed off until you get it right, and make it run - by making your own modifications to it that WILL make it run right.  PSA certainly won't do it for you, with that "Lifetime Guarantee."  

P.S.  An adjustable gas block is NOT your answer to a PSA PA-10, to calm it's "over-gassing."  It's not even possibly over-gassed, when it ships with a gas port diameter in it's barrels that is UNDER-SIZED...  That's Unpossible...  

That's a hint...  :thumbup:

You're soooo wrong. An adjustable gas block + a Titanium/Inconel  alloy muzzle device + 10 ounce tungsten hydraulic buffer + braided flat wire spring is definitely the answer... It has to be the ammo's problem!!!

2 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

You're soooo wrong. An adjustable gas block + a Titanium/Inconel  alloy muzzle device + 10 ounce tungsten hydraulic buffer + braided flat wire spring is definitely the answer... It has to be the ammo's problem!!!

You've been on a roll the last couple of days brother! Not as epic as Matt's foofera from a couple of weeks ago but still pretty frikkin awesome!:hail::laffs:

4 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

:thefinger:

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

You've been on a roll the last couple of days brother! Not as epic as Matt's foofera from a couple of weeks ago but still pretty frikkin awesome!:hail::laffs:

He got a new shotgun to play with today - he has a massive boner...   :banana:

On 12/17/2019 at 12:44 AM, sagebrush said:

i believe either the pivot pin or the takedown pin is a different length than pins in other recievers

Thanks, I ordered an Aero Precision M5 LPK minus FCG/Grip (Primary Arms had them on sale).

On 12/20/2019 at 5:04 PM, 392heminut said:

@gnumadicDon't take the thread jack personal, this shiit happens all the time around here! Feel free to get it back on track though, I know THEY won't take it personal!:laffs:

LOL...not a problem! It was quite entertaining.