• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M5E1 build (or “How I Learned to Stop Expecting Things to Fit or Work Correctly and Accept the Insanity That is the AR308 Platform”

Hello again, all. I found myself starting too many threads concerning this thing, so I figured I’d condense it all right here. 

Parts List:

Aero M5 Stripped Lower - Aero LPK w/ Forward Controls RBF, EMR-HC AA

LaRue MBT-2S Trigger

Aero M5E1 Stripped Upper - Forward Controls LDFA AA, V Seven Port Door (Attempted... more on that later)

Aero M5 Enhanced Gen 2 Handguard

Ballistics Advantage 20” Heavy Modern Profile Barrel .308 1:10 4150 CrMoV, gas port unknown yet. 

Toolcraft BCG Nitride - pin measures .0755”, hole is proper fit

Spike’s Rifle length melonite gas tube

Luth AR Rifle Receiver Extension

David Tubb Flatwire Buffer Spring

Rifle Buffer - 5.38 oz. 

Magpul PRS Gen 3 Stock & K2+ grip

Superlative Arms .750” Adjustable Gas Block

Surefire 7.62 Warcomp 

Radian Raptor LT CH

Radian Talon Safety

I got the lower together without issue. Loving the trigger. Might swap out the Radian Talon for one of Roger’s Quacks when he gets them back in stock. 

Upper is another story. It’s been one headache after another. 

FedEx lost barrel in transit and build put in hold while warehouse made a claim and all the Covid drama kept everything at a snail’s pace? Check

Barrel install put on hold because the reaction rod took a 💩? Check

Attempted to install a V Seven Port Door and found out it smacks and rubs the lower receiver, and the detent won’t engage in the upper? Check and double check

Got annoyed with the gap I was getting between the handguard and M5 receiver, so I impulse bought a blem M5E1? Yup, big check

Not satisfied with the fit of the spacer and shims on the Warcomp? Again, check

New tools arriving soon, and I’ll update as things progress and I make yet more fü¢kups.

Any comments, advice, observations or just pointing and laughing at me is encouraged and appreciated.

Cheers

217CA541-CCF7-4C5C-BE88-D5A2F8E61687.jpeg

B22B17BD-59F1-444D-BB87-C15AC6246AB7.jpeg

A2B974CF-15DF-4AAB-B45A-059CA2DDB4D9.jpeg

0A887F5B-662C-420A-957A-FAFF9EB7E505.jpeg

6602A821-E510-48B5-A49B-1A96FE53414E.jpeg

79C9D497-A3AE-40F7-997D-78226DD23831.jpeg

Edited by Knuckledragger
Added content

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna find that all ejection port doors hit the lower.  That's what stops them from opening even further.  That's what they do. As far as not closing - that sucks.

Lookin' good so far - stay after it!  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

You're gonna find that all ejection port doors hit the lower.  That's what stops them from opening even further.  That's what they do. As far as not closing - that sucks.

Lookin' good so far - stay after it!  :thumbup:

Strike Industries makes a port door w/an adjustable detent.

Something I’ve been pondering... You can see in the pic of the Warcomp that when the bipod is folded up, the feet are right in line with the open sections of the flash hider tines. I currently have the bipod mounted at the forward-most MLOK slot on the HG, as it’s the best choice when the bipod is deployed.

I’m thinking of moving it back one slot because I’m concerned it might screw up the feet if I fire without it deployed. What say you, oh wise and learned gurus?

4 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

Something I’ve been pondering... You can see in the pic of the Warcomp that when the bipod is folded up, the feet are right in line with the open sections of the flash hider tines. I currently have the bipod mounted at the forward-most MLOK slot on the HG, as it’s the best choice when the bipod is deployed.

I’m thinking of moving it back one slot because I’m concerned it might screw up the feet if I fire without it deployed. What say you, oh wise and learned gurus?

Won't affect that bipod in the least.  That bipod won't care. You're not going to burn or scorch it, unless you leave it in a dumpster fire.

I’m still undecided about glass on mine, @98Z5V (and anyone else who wants to chime in). At the moment, Athlon is at the top of my list, but I’m open to about anything, I’d just rather not spend a metric a$$load on it. I’m not against used glass, either. 
  I’d prefer a Christmas tree/grid reticle, but again, I’m open. 
   Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

I’m still undecided about glass on mine, @98Z5V (and anyone else who wants to chime in). At the moment, Athlon is at the top of my list, but I’m open to about anything, I’d just rather not spend a metric a$$load on it. I’m not against used glass, either. 
  I’d prefer a Christmas tree/grid reticle, but again, I’m open. 
   Thoughts?

How far you gonna shoot?  I have a pile of Athlons, and Primary Arms scopes.  You into mil-reticles, MOA, or BDC?  Need those details, and I can give you a recommendation on what i would do, if it were mine. 

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

How far you gonna shoot?  I have a pile of Athlons, and Primary Arms scopes.  You into mil-reticles, MOA, or BDC?  Need those details, and I can give you a recommendation on what i would do, if it were mine. 

Would like to reliably reach out to 500-600. My preference is for mil, not MOA. Holdovers in mils just make more sense in my head. Trying to think in MOA is like trying to think in sign language to me: It can be done, but it’s going to be slow AF. 

I'm with you on the MOA BS.  @Matt.Cross is gonna get on me about that, but I'm all in for mils.  However...

BDC is the fastest.  You're shooting .308 Win.  Right away, I'd recommend the PA 4-14 BDC scope:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle

here's the reticle:

PA4-14XFFP308_13.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=

Now, for mils, I wouldn't recommend the PA mil-dot scope.  For SURE, I'd recommend you the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 scope with the APLR2 reticle.  I have a PILE of these things. They're great scopes, for the money, and don't break the bank.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-talos-btr-4-14x44-aplr-ffp-ir-mil/

here's the reticle:

APLR2-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-414.png

Edited by 98Z5V

The benefit of the Athlon over that PA I recommended - on the Athlon, the WHOLE GRID is iluminated.  On that PA, only the center dot is illuminated. That can make a big difference, if you shoot in any low-light/no-light conditions.  That's where the Athlon kicks ass, with the entire grid illuminated.  :thumbup:

If you never shoot at night  - both are great.  That PA BDC scope is fast as hell on targets at different ranges. 

500~600 yards with either one of these scopes is a no-brainer. 

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, nolocontendre.son said:

Athlon Helos 6-24x50 and be done. 

Which is a damn nice scope, higher price range.  I've got one or two coming - won't know how many I'll be able to buy until the order comes in to the local dealer.  I have one Athlon Ares BTR in 2.5~15 mag, and that is one badass scope. That one lives on the Grendel Mk12 Mod H.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:46 AM, 98Z5V said:

If you need or want more magnification, over 14x, then this is the one - Athlon Argos BTR 6~24x50,illum mil-dot reticle:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/argos-btr-gen2-6-24x50-apmr-ffp-ir-mil-copy/

here's the reticle:

APMR-FFP-IR-MIL-PWR-624-1.png

Just ordered one today with the throw lever and sunshade. Package deal for $299 + tax. Looked good to me, so I pulled the trigger (figuratively)

59 minutes ago, KINGOFTHEPOORS said:

Bro!!! I just made a profile on here because I’m having a lot of trouble with an M5 build I’m trying to complete. So maybe similarities with parts and problems. I’ll make a separate thread for help. But basically I have the upper gap. I guess I’ll have to lap the upper? A strange problem is the barrel can be moved relatively easily. The gunsmith here completely did a terrible job of assembling my upper. I made this profile for help. Or if anyone knows any good gun smiths around the Tampa area that would be great. 

Make your thread, post that same pic of your build parts, and expect some questions.  Rifle recoil system, I already see, based on your stock choice.  Hit your new thread, and we'll figure it out. 

3 hours ago, KINGOFTHEPOORS said:

Bro!!! I just made a profile on here because I’m having a lot of trouble with an M5 build I’m trying to complete. So maybe similarities with parts and problems. I’ll make a separate thread for help. But basically I have the upper gap. I guess I’ll have to lap the upper? A strange problem is the barrel can be moved relatively easily. The gunsmith here completely did a terrible job of assembling my upper. I made this profile for help. Or if anyone knows any good gun smiths around the Tampa area that would be great. 

10EB4221-7A69-4B18-9911-DB14B71D8EEF.png

I wanna know where you got the BCG and barrel that cheap...