Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Cunuckgaucho

Ruger Precision 308 Gen 3... Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Let the headache games begin lol. I played with it, laying out 50 million different possible outcomes of how I wanted it for week or so. Every time I walked back into the room, I decided I didn't like something & changed it. Finally said fukit & started tracing & cutting.  Good luck! 😂 try not to go insane

Can't be any worse then laying out the toolboxes at home :embarrassed:

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn, Eric - you did not fuk around ONE BIT, brother!  Nice work! 

:banana:

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

That's some wicked nice kit brother!

Thanks, someone had mentioned shooting .22 at longer ranges as a good training aid for shooting .308. Saw the .22 on the rack so half joking said to my gun pusher 'So what sort of deal if I buy both?"  Well you see the results.

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Right?!  I can't wait to bust that bitch on the 850...   :lmao::banana:

You and me both brother, let's get this covid crap solved so the borders open up. Kinda looking forward to stretching the .22 also

1 hour ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Sounds like a damn good time!

and then some...

 

 Well on afternoons for the next couple weeks shift premium,underground premium and some weekend overtime will get the toy fund topped up for the next addition.

On the plus I can hit the range during the day when it's empty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Oh, it is ON now, brother.  Cold-Bore 850 at night is the new game, I see?...   :popcorn::banana:

@Matt.Cross - we are truly sick individuals, if you're saying that this is the new game, brother.  We're fucked up.

But, bring it.   :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I got to get some "post it" notes to stick on my screen now. Reading "DONT ASK ABOUT ANY GUNS OR GEAR @308AR.COM!!!"

Well seems this whole thread is a play by play of what happens when you ask :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

shift premium,underground premium and some weekend overtime

That definitely tops my "slightly below Mexican minimum wage " pay 😢 Actually,  I'm still waiting on my 1st workmans comp check that never freaking came😠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

That definitely tops my "slightly below Mexican minimum wage " pay 😢 Actually,  I'm still waiting on my 1st workmans comp check that never freaking came😠

Not going to last and have to go on afternoons till the issue is solved so in there like a fat kid on a smartie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

What optics you fellas using for that? What optic & mwnification during the day?

We use the same optics by night as by day. The key difference is in using them with a lit reticle at night. You want an optic that's not going to wash the target out with the reticle lighting, the rest is up to available atmospheric lighting and available light at the target. It will surprise you how easy it is once you've done it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

@Matt.Cross - we are truly sick individuals, if you're saying that this is the new game, brother.  We're fucked up.

But, bring it.   :popcorn:

It's the new game! Cold-bore the 850 at night. First person to do so wins a grounding rod to discharge the static build-up from their gigantic brass balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

What optics you fellas using for that? What optic & mwnification during the day?

Depends on the gun, brother, and whatever optic that gun needs.  Once you shoot it, and dial in your shiit, you'll see that 850 is a joke, once you dope the wind for it.  It's really nothing major.  For the guns that do 1100, I'll run a 4~14 type scope.  For the ones that run longer, I'll run a 6~24 scope.  

For night shooting - and alot of people laugh at me for asking this one - does your illuminated scope dial DOWN enough to shoot at night?  You NEED an illumitated reticle to shoot at night, especially when there is wind.  If your illuminated reticle doesn't dial DOWN to a low enough light, then that reticle washes out your target, and you can't see shiit - but red lines.  Bigass bright red lines - and you can't see your target, because of that.  Next up, is WIND and night.  Seems like a joke, right?  If you have a simply "cross" type illuminated reticle, at night, with wind - you can't read a wind hold with that... You guess, and hope you get it down there...

 This reticle would SUCK at night shooting - because you can't dope wind with it, at night.

PR-1MOA Illuminated | Leupold

THIS reticle is badass at night, because you CAN dope wind with it...   :thumbup:

https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/APLR3-FFP-IR-MOA-PWR-2515.png

It's pretty stupid,to come to the conclusions that we have, for shooting at night - but that's years past now, for us.  Shooting at 450 yards at night is a common occurance, every single night, during a shoot. Wind, no wind, moon, no moon - we've gained such a regularity with it, that it's ...   routine now...  It's almost boring, unless there's a Newb around, then we show off a little bit...  :laffs:

So, now, I guess the new game with @Matt.Cross is the 850 at night.  I'm in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

It's the new game! Cold-bore the 850 at night. First person to do so wins a grounding rod to discharge the static build-up from their gigantic brass balls.

:banana::lmao:   I CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN'T STOPPPPP  LAUUUUGHING!!!!   :laffs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

It's the new game! Cold-bore the 850 at night. First person to do so wins a grounding rod to discharge the static build-up from their gigantic brass balls.

You have obviously never pound in 10ft ground rods into rocky soil... that my good sir is the challenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Thank you. I wouldn't  have thought there would be enough light to see that far at night. 

You'd be amazed, brother, at the stupid shiit we can pull off at night.  The real ground truth is that you need to have the right scope, right reticle, right illumination capabilities in that scope.  "Too Bright" will screw you  - it needs to be SO DIM in some lighting conditions, that you can barely see it. 

We ain't quite right, around here.  And we've already done it.

I guess next up, is an 850-yard night-time shoot cold-bore first-round challenge against @Matt.Cross.  We're both up to it, with the games we've played at 450 at night, and the double-tap drills we've already done at night.

I think THIS ONE is gonna be FUN!!!... :banana:

I'm bringin' the .260 Rem, right now, I'm telling you Matt. I'm not joking around with this one, brother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Depends on the gun, brother, and whatever optic that gun needs.  Once you shoot it, and dial in your shiit, you'll see that 850 is a joke, once you dope the wind for it.  It's really nothing major.  For the guns that do 1100, I'll run a 4~14 type scope.  For the ones that run longer, I'll run a 6~24 scope.  

For night shooting - and alot of people laugh at me for asking this one - does your illuminated scope dial DOWN enough to shoot at night?  You NEED an illumitated reticle to shoot at night, especially when there is wind.  If your illuminated reticle doesn't dial DOWN to a low enough light, then that reticle washes out your target, and you can't see shiit - but red lines.  Bigass bright red lines - and you can't see your target, because of that.  Next up, is WIND and night.  Seems like a joke, right?  If you have a simply "cross" type illuminated reticle, at night, with wind - you can't read a wind hold with that... You guess, and hope you get it down there...

 This reticle would SUCK at night shooting - because you can't dope wind with it, at night.

PR-1MOA Illuminated | Leupold

THIS reticle is badass at night, because you CAN dope wind with it...   :thumbup:

https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/APLR3-FFP-IR-MOA-PWR-2515.png

It's pretty stupid,to come to the conclusions that we have, for shooting at night - but that's years past now, for us.  Shooting at 450 yards at night is a common occurance, every single night, during a shoot. Wind, no wind, moon, no moon - we've gained such a regularity with it, that it's ...   routine now...  It's almost boring, unless there's a Newb around, then we show off a little bit...  :laffs:

So, now, I guess the new game with @Matt.Cross is the 850 at night.  I'm in. 

I get the illuminated reticle,  I use them on a few things. My horrible shortcomings are that I don't know/understand how to dial the scopes for elevation & windage. Always relied on BDC reticles.  I need to attempt to fix that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I get the illuminated reticle,  I use them on a few things. My horrible shortcomings are that I don't know/understand how to dial the scopes for elevation & windage. Always relied on BDC reticles.  I need to attempt to fix that

I'm here for you, brother.  Come to a Shoot out here with me and the brothers. After that, and the classes you get - bonus for showing up - you will have no concerns, whatsoever.  You'll fully understand everything it takes to make a shot at distance.  Everything.

If something is amiss after shooting with us, and you don't understand...   then I'll just go downtown, pick up two blowjobs, and give one back to you after I get back.  :thumbup:

That's my money-back guarantee on the shoots out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Thank you. I wouldn't  have thought there would be enough light to see that far at night. 

Very good glass is another critical component, optics with poor glass is worse than a lit reticle that doesn't dim enough. You can actually shoot at night with an unlit reticle and do just fine. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you don't have good glass you won't shoot worth a crap at night.

Optics are really the only critical variable. Multiple people here have shot a 300 yard IPSC steel, multiple times, at night with iron sights.... 

... on a pistol no less!

The desert shoots will teach you things you would've never thought you were capable of doing, and doing them repeatedly and successfully, with surprising ease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

You have obviously never pound in 10ft ground rods into rocky soil... that my good sir is the challenge

That is very true. I've driven only one 7ft grounding rod in my life, through an 8" concrete floor and the gravel bed underneath. That experience tells me that I don't want to experience 10ft rods in rocky soil. I love a challenge, but I'll leave the driving of grounding rods to those who receive the proper compensation to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a Gen 2 6.5 CM it is way better than me but I have had some amazing days on the steel range with it I shoot suppressed and I had one 3 shot group at 1276 yards  18 by 14 steel square I hit it two out of three shots in 10 seconds... 26 inch barrel//. I love it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok think I'll show up this fall. Probably going to drive. I can do it in 2 days of driving. And I have vacation and personal days so the time off work isn't a problem. 98z sent me some info and I can fly and a don't have a problem checking guns but I want to bring at least 3 rifles and a pistol or two and I don't have a case big enough. Maybe if I shipped the uppers and just flew w/the lowers I might fit everything. But I'd still need to ship the ammo too. I don't mind driving though. This sounds like a good trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Ok think I'll show up this fall. Probably going to drive. I can do it in 2 days of driving. And I have vacation and personal days so the time off work isn't a problem. 98z sent me some info and I can fly and a don't have a problem checking guns but I want to bring at least 3 rifles and a pistol or two and I don't have a case big enough. Maybe if I shipped the uppers and just flew w/the lowers I might fit everything. But I'd still need to ship the ammo too. I don't mind driving though. This sounds like a good trip.

Good deal, brother.  @Matt.Cross, get with him about ammo and flying...  @Rsquared, please get with him about all the other aspects...   :laffs:

You two guys have more experience than anyone, on either driving or flying here, for these Shenanigans...   :banana:

His trip, driving, is about 1800 miles, guys - keep that part in mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

I have over a million miles driving a big truck. The driving part is easy.

This info fits into the Bigger Picture...   You might be the new Wheel Man...   :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...