• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ruger Precision 308 Gen 3... Thoughts?

So any feedback/opinions?

Looking at adding one to the collection, a) currently my ARs can't come out and play b) I have a pile of AR parts(stocks,bipods,scopes etc) which the RPR will take c) 308 ammo here and in Arizona :banana: plus reloading stuff. d) It can leave my house both to shoot up in the mountains and across the border.

I've read good reviews but rather hear what people here have to say. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Looking at adding one to the collection, a) currently my ARs can't come out and play b) I have a pile of AR parts(stocks,bipods,scopes etc) which the RPR will take c) 308 ammo here and in Arizona :banana: plus reloading stuff. d) It can leave my house both to shoot up in the mountains and across the border.

I've read good reviews but rather hear what people here have to say. 

They're really nice, I shot Tommy's a fair bit and it's good kit. I really want a Tikka T3X though, I've heard really good things about them.

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

They're really nice, I shot Tommy's a fair bit and it's good kit. I really want a Tikka T3X though, I've heard really good things about them.

LGS has both the Ruger and Tikka in stock so likely go down Saturday and fondle both and along with what I hear adopt one :thumbup:

55 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I've got a gen 2 & love it, I'm assuming the gen 3 is an improved & even better?

Main difference I can find is the handguard, G2 is keylok and a bit bigger dia, G3 is Mlok 

11 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

LGS has both the Ruger and Tikka in stock so likely go down Saturday and fondle both and along with what I hear adopt one :thumbup:

Main difference I can find is the handguard, G2 is keylok and a bit bigger dia, G3 is Mlok 

Yeah, I read the Gen 3 has a little fatter of a hand guard. Dont know if the difference would interfere with a 50mm scope bell or not. Nothing the correct mount/rings couldn't solve.  What's the price difference between the Ruger & the Tikka?  This is my setup

20190208_234124.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

I have the gen 1 and it shot lights out in az! being my first go over 100 yds. I also just picked up the rpr in .338lm , yes they went mlok. I think either would be a good choice!🍻🍻  for the 50mm bell it fits on the 338 with a scope cap in medium rings but tight fit. 

Edited by sketch

So slow morning at work allowed some online reading.

So looking at about CAN$400 difference which in itself isn't a deal breaker. I'll handle both on Saturday for final decision. Right now the Ruger is slightly ahead on points the thing that helps the Ruger is the ease/availability of swapping /upgrading parts including the barrel,I have a selection of AR stocks,grips and handguards.

It seems the Tikka's finish is a bit better but Saturday will determine how much difference that makes. Ideally I wish they sold it as a stripped chassis and action without stock,grip or handguard and then allow you to pick their stuff or not. 

The Ruger seems more ideal if you are going to swap stuff whereas the Tikka is about leaving well enough alone. In the end both rifles are more capable than me and any shortcomings in performance will trace back to operator error.

@Matt.Cross have you checked out Tikka mags? Up here they're CAN$ 200 each and rifle only comes with a single mag. 

19 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Yeah, I read the Gen 3 has a little fatter of a hand guard. Dont know if the difference would interfere with a 50mm scope bell or not. Nothing the correct mount/rings couldn't solve.  What's the price difference between the Ruger & the Tikka?  This is my setup

20190208_234124.jpg

Love that set up :drool:

FYI the Gen3 has a slightly smaller handguard dia 

23 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Brother - Ruger hasn't made a bad RPR yet.  They rock.

Pick the right caliber, or you'll get your ass kicked come long range day...  :lmao::banana:

In reality, it doesn't matter which caliber you choose - those RPR guns are solid.  As Fuk.  It won't let you down.  :thumbup:

^^^  That's just me, trying to be honest, beyond the obligatory Shiit-Talking...   ...that you deserve...   ...no matter which way you go...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

So slow morning at work allowed some online reading.

So looking at about CAN$400 difference which in itself isn't a deal breaker. I'll handle both on Saturday for final decision. Right now the Ruger is slightly ahead on points the thing that helps the Ruger is the ease/availability of swapping /upgrading parts including the barrel,I have a selection of AR stocks,grips and handguards.

It seems the Tikka's finish is a bit better but Saturday will determine how much difference that makes. Ideally I wish they sold it as a stripped chassis and action without stock,grip or handguard and then allow you to pick their stuff or not. 

The Ruger seems more ideal if you are going to swap stuff whereas the Tikka is about leaving well enough alone. In the end both rifles are more capable than me and any shortcomings in performance will trace back to operator error.

@Matt.Cross have you checked out Tikka mags? Up here they're CAN$ 200 each and rifle only comes with a single mag. 

Check out EuroOptic's offerings, they're including spare mags and manufacturer vouchers for additional mags.

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Pick the right caliber, or you'll get your ass kicked come long range day...  :lmao::banana:

Well first caliber on the list is .308 I have lots of brass and bullets but will not stop there...

21 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Check out EuroOptic's offerings, they're including spare mags and manufacturer vouchers for additional mags.

Which would be a wonderful thing if I lived on your side of the border. Unfortunately ITAR is pretty fussy about firearm stuff being exported out of the  USA. Even stuff like  unmachined AR forgings that can be sold over the counter in the USA cannot be taken out of the USA without an export permit.

9 hours ago, DNP said:

Might as well buy two...or 3 of them. Right @sketch?  Get all the calibers you need/want. 

If previous behavior is any indication, stopping at three will be a small miracle. :laffs:

1 hour ago, DNP said:

I need to move. Seriously, you crazy Canadians can pick stuff up that fast?  

That’s so unsafe-What about the children?!

Well you did say buy 2 or 3, who am I to argue :thumbup:

Bolt action rifles pretty much walk in, show firearms licence( jus show store records nothing) and walk out. Handguns have to be called in and transfer paperwork done(quickest for me 24 hrs,longest 3 days) this will vary from province to province. If I'm lazy do it online and it will be delivered directly to the house.

10 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

AWESOME!!!!

Now to start planning my hardcase inspired by your's

Well done man. That’s not a terrible system you’ve got going on up there considering. Here we have a constitutional protected right, yet somehow they’ve made it a pain in the ass. The 10 day wait is the biggest joke. “Cooling off period” - my ass. 

1 minute ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Let the headache games begin lol. I played with it, laying out 50 million different possible outcomes of how I wanted it for week or so. Every time I walked back into the room, I decided I didn't like something & changed it. Finally said fukit & started tracing & cutting.  Good luck! 😂 try not to go insane

3 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

3 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Let the headache games begin lol. I played with it, laying out 50 million different possible outcomes of how I wanted it for week or so. Every time I walked back into the room, I decided I didn't like something & changed it. Finally said fukit & started tracing & cutting.  Good luck! 😂 try not to go insane

Never forget. That's the beauty of Pelican's or their counterparts. You can always get replacement inserts and just start over.

Pelican.thumb.jpg.c74b18642fc996e2786da35ccc1d987f.jpg

I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to reconfigure mine for this years fall shoot. Trying to get it down so I only have to bring one case, instead of two, like last year.

Yeah, yeah....I know. It's a high quality problem to have. :lmao:

2 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Never forget. That's the beauty of Pelican's or their counterparts. You can always get replacement inserts and just start over.

Pelican.thumb.jpg.c74b18642fc996e2786da35ccc1d987f.jpg

I'm already trying to figure out how I'm going to reconfigure mine for this years fall shoot. Trying to get it down so I only have to bring one case, instead of two, like last year.

Yeah, yeah....I know. It's a high quality problem to have. :lmao:

Nice! 

4 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Nice! 

Yeah, but that bastard weighed in at just under 90 pounds, and cost me 200 bucks to get it on the bird headed to Arizona last year. But it was worth it though.

4 rifles. 3 optics. 4 suppressors. 4 AR-15 mags. 4 AR-10 mags. A sidearm with 6 mags.

The look on the TSA guy's face at 0400 in BWI was priceless.:lmao: