• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ruger Precision 308 Gen 3... Thoughts?

10 hours ago, Magwa said:

I own a Gen 2 6.5 CM it is way better than me but I have had some amazing days on the steel range with it I shoot suppressed and I had one 3 shot group at 1276 yards  18 by 14 steel square I hit it two out of three shots in 10 seconds... 26 inch barrel//. I love it

That's next on list once I top off the toy fund with any luck I'll have that to bring down to.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

That's next on list once I top off the toy fund with any luck I'll have that to bring down to.

Be a man.  Do a .260 Remington...   :banana:  It'll smoke a 6.5 Creedmoor.  :hail:

Math and science are on it's side, and the numbers don't lie...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Be a man.  Do a .260 Remington...   :banana:  It'll smoke a 6.5 Creedmoor.  :hail:

Math and science are on it's side, and the numbers don't lie...   :thumbup:

Well looks like I got a bit of reading to do...

Still going to need a 6.5CM seeing as I've got dies and bullets

Edited by Cunuckgaucho

2 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

@shooterrex I was planning my return trip on the drive home from my first fall shoot. I would have been down this spring if covid hadn't shown up and now just hoping that I'll be able to cross the border in Nov.

You're so hooked, it ain't even funny.  We've screwed you, fully.  You might as well buy a home down here, brother...  :thumbup::banana:

https://www.canamrealty.com/

7 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Still going to need a 6.5CM seeing as I've got dies and bullets

Same bullets/projectiles, I'll send you the dies, pro bono.  Free gift, delivered this fall.  You can't make 6.5CM brass from .308 Win brass - but you can certainly make the superior .260 Rem from .308 Win brass.

Oh, did I mention that the .260 Rem was superior to the 6.5CM?  I think I forgot to mention that part...  :lmao::thumbup:

Slightly more case capacity, slightly more powder volume, slightly more muzzle velocity, slightly more better in every way...  I'm just sayin'... 

I'm here for the instigation of the better cartridge...  :banana:

6.5 Creedmoor is for people that can't reload, and only know how to buy off-the-shelf ammo...   And are skeered of reloading...  If they were smart enough, and reloaded, they would have bought a .260 Rem in the first place...   over 20 years ago...   :hail:  

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Looks like I'm adding a .260 bolt to the shopping list :cool: it's like a voice in my head saying something about superior ballistics :laffs:

The .260 Rem case is the .308 Win parent case - same bolt as the .308 Win. Another bonus. You're running .308 Win brass, it's just necked down to 6.5mm...  Not need for a special bolt - just run a regular old .308AR BCG, brother.

Should I go on about the superiority of the .260 Remington?...  :popcorn:

19 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

I have a ton of information for you, brother.  Math and science. the .260 wins everytime. It's just better...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/guns/new-twist-260-remington-vs-6-5-creedmoor/

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/9/13/head-to-head-65-creedmoor-vs-260-remington/

https://americanshootingjournal.com/260-remington-vs-6-5-creedmoor/

This article, way back in the day-ish, is what sealed the deal for me.  Not only do I reload, I'm already experienced in shooting something at some kind of distance.  Not the distance that Todd Hodnett can do, but I ain't bad.  This one was the decision-maker, when I read this.  And I dove into the .260 Rem without reservation, at all.  Ass Deep, Head-Long... 

https://www.recoilweb.com/todd-hodnett-the-long-range-cowboy-108460.html

My favorite quote from that Todd Hodnett article listed above, and why I teach the way I do - this is the exact same mentality I always used when I taught Land Navigation, too, in all my time in the military.  Fuk your GPS - that bitch will fail, at some point, and if that's all you know, you're fucked...  well, I know how to use a compass, a protractor, and a map. And I know the difference between True North, Grid North, and Magnetic North - and I can set that in my Silva Ranger Type 15-CL compass.  When the batteries die - I'm still good. I can get from Point A to Point B, effortlessly.  I don't even have to think about it - just do it. 

That's my same approach to long distance shooting, and all you here that have been out here know that.  No Ballistic Computers, no laser range finders... No tech.  If you can't do it on your own, determine distance, gauge wind, make high-angle calculations based on smarts...  then you can't shoot.  When the tech fails, if that's all you know - then you're worthless, as a shooter. 

Do I have that stuff?  Yes - to confirm teaching.  Laser range finder and a Kestrel with Applied Balllistics software - to confirm what I teach.  It's not a replacement - I rarely even use it.  But it's a tool that backs up what I'm spreadin'...

The weather-side of the Kestrel - that just can't be beat.  That kind of information is invaluable for shooting - you can gather REAL weather data, right then,while you're shooting - and that amount of weather data is a gold mine...

Yet, I bitch on.  Here's the Todd Hodnett quote that I was wanting to get to - from the very beginning:

What advice would you give a shooter who wants to improve their long-range abilities?

TH: No matter what happens, at the end of the day when the batteries fail, we still have to be able to go back to square one. You can never get past the fundamentals. All advanced shooting is, is when you don't screw up the fundamentals. Most of the time when we have problems shooting, it's because we're not taking care of the fundamentals. This isn't a Kentucky windage guessing game.

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

The .260 Rem case is the .308 Win parent case - same bolt as the .308 Win. Another bonus. You're running .308 Win brass, it's just necked down to 6.5mm...  Not need for a special bolt - just run a regular old .308AR BCG, brother.

Should I go on about the superiority of the .260 Remington?...  :popcorn:

It is only superior untill you go to buy ammo better tote your reloading stuff along with ....LOL it is a great cartridge if you are a reloader.... other than that they are just about twins..

@98Z5V thanks for the info, glad I signed out prior to seeing it last night otherwise would been up till the AM.🍻

The other issue with people and the whizbang toys is their absolute trust in the output. Faulty output from wrong input usually operator but sometimes sensor results in wrong info,the more critical the answer the bigger the error. 

Well the simple solution is to get both a 6.5CM and a .260REM, fortunately I reload

14 hours ago, Magwa said:

It is only superior untill you go to buy ammo better tote your reloading stuff along with ....LOL it is a great cartridge if you are a reloader.... other than that they are just about twins..

Hey brother - my .260 fuks shiit up for about 60 cents a trigger pull...   :thumbup::hail:

They are twins - I preach that all the time.  Reloader?  .260 is the answer.  Don't reload?  6.5 C is the answer.  It's just amazing that you can get this kind of performance from a gun, and amazes me still that the .260 has a little more case capacity, little more powder room, and a little more velocity than the 6.5 C...

^^^   Yes, that jab was intentional...  :lmao:

Dirt Bike Tommy bought a 6.5 C Ruger RPR, never shot it before he came down to shoot with me.  We got him on the 500 yard and 850 yard targets by starting with my .260 dope sheet.  They're almost identical.  Very minor differences - but close enough to watch impacts and adjust right away.  They're both just unreal. 

The .260 is just a little more unreal...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

35 minutes ago, sketch said:

apple vs orange. 

Apples and apples, brother - these two are damn near twins. Loadings, performance - damn near identical.  I can use my dope for my .260 to get a guy on a new 6.5C on target, at distance, and it's damn near perfect.  They're far from "apple vs. orange"  - they're the exact same fruit.  Ones just a 'lil bit sweeter than the other...  :laffs:

30 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Apples and apples, brother - these two are damn near twins. Loadings, performance - damn near identical.  I can use my dope for my .260 to get a guy on a new 6.5C on target, at distance, and it's damn near perfect.  They're far from "apple vs. orange"  - they're the exact same fruit.  Ones just a 'lil bit sweeter than the other...  :laffs:

You gonna take that crap from a kiwi vs. Eggplant kinda guy?🤣

On 7/26/2020 at 6:33 AM, Cunuckgaucho said:

So how long have you been seeing calibers as fruit? :lmao: does this make you some sort of savant :hornet:

it's all in the damage per caliber =  to the orange splatter/juice over the apple  chunks/sauce. 👍🏻🍻🍻🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, 98Z5V said:

Perfect example of this is Larry showing up late for a shoot...  @392heminut...   Gets out of his truck, and says, "What are y'all shooting at?..."  Well, Larry, we're trying to hit that 250-yard IPSC steel plate with pistols...

He pulls a 1911 from his holster, angles it up... looks around...  angles it up a little more... He pulls the fucking trigger, and a second or so later, ...   TING!   YOU HAVE TO BE SHIITTING ME!!!

He manned up, smiled, and HOLSTERED THAT GUN, AND WALKED AWAY...

THAT is how you do it, men...   :hail:

That WAS pretty epic! Mike drop moment for sure!

On 7/23/2020 at 10:48 PM, 98Z5V said:

Lesson, friends - when you talk shiit, and then you actually pull it off...  You just WALK AWAY, and you MUST act like you MEANT TO DO THAT SHIIT.  Don't give any other details.  Don't say shiit.  Just walk away, and either holster it, or let it hang from the sling., swinging like a Big Dick..  and you HAVE to be cocky about it... - like you meant it. It just bewilders motherfuckers...   :thumbup::laffs:

Even a blind monkey finds a banana once in awhile...   Inside, you're saying to yourself, "Damn, I can't believe I just hit that..."...

Just act like it was on purpose...  

If you're quick enough to think about blowing the smoke off the end of the barrel, it adds to the psychological impact, of the impossible shot that you just made, first-round...  The crowd is mind-fucked...  :thefinger:

Yuuuup!!!!:lmao:

Sorry about the lat response, I just got back from Alaska. 30# halibut can be a biotch to reel in, those fukkers like to fight you!😁

4 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Sorry about the lat response, I just got back from Alaska. 30# halibut can be a biotch to reel in, those fukkers like to fight you!😁

Welcome back, and congrats, brother!!!   By the way - that was NOT a smart fish, to try to fight you.  I wish someone would have talked to it beforehand, and let it know.  Oh well, his choice...  :lmao:

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Welcome back, and congrats, brother!!!   By the way - that was NOT a smart fish, to try to fight you.  I wish someone would have talked to it beforehand, and let it know.  Oh well, his choice...  :lmao:

I got that fukker in the boat though, I guess that makes me the winner! Now, he's in my freezer............in pieces!:laffs:

Yeah, Greg (not GREG) and I had been poppin that target (with rifles, just playing around) until Larry hit that sumbitch. We just rolled out and moved on to drinking and bull$hittin at that point (if I remember correctly).

Fukin Larry.........he ruins everything. Fukin Lurch. :lmao: