• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Komodo smoker

Madhouse

A few months back I went to Costco and picked up a Louisiana Grills (same manufacturer as the Pit Boss line) komodo style smoker. It's been doing pretty well, I've been getting used to it, relatively easy to set and maintain a steady smoke temp. 

First attempt was baby back ribs, burnt them on the edges but I know now what I did wrong. Since then I've done a few whole chickens, turkey legs, Boston butt pork - all pretty damned good turnouts. 

This morning I brought it up to temp and laid a beef brisket on it. Hope it comes out good. 

Anyone else using this style smoker? 

This is the one at Costco, it was five bills when you pick it up at the warehouse. 

I was the same way, all my buddies were putting out this great stuff, I wanted to try. 

The pellet grills are all the rage, but this requires no electricity, and I'll tell you once you establish a temperature it holds rock steady for hours. That brisket went 11 hours. Came out amazing btw. 

20200801_164256.jpg

20200801_164504.jpg

I absolutely researched the grills after viewing this thread yesterday.  Damn big money for them.  Komodo Joe III seems to be top dog as of now.  I don't know though,  a split 55 gal drum,  three heavy hinges,  some fire brick,  a couple of pieces of flue pipe and Voila !  

I have used a Komodo style Barbeque Smoker for the last 6 years. Called the "Akorn" ,I sold my tower smoker a year after I got it and haven't looked back. All the stuff I post under grilling has been cooked on it. It smokes, It grills, it bakes, and everything is excellent. The Akorn is twin walled steel with insulation in between so that it holds heat even at -20 Fahrenheit. I have smoked Brisket, pork shoulders, ribs, short ribs lake trout, steel head and whitefish on it to name a few. I have grilled every steak cut known to man on it and I like it because I can get it in the 500-600F range to sear in the juices on  the steak. I swear by it, not at it.

akorn.jpeg

On 8/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, RedRiverII said:

I absolutely researched the grills after viewing this thread yesterday.  Damn big money for them.  Komodo Joe III seems to be top dog as of now.  I don't know though,  a split 55 gal drum,  three heavy hinges,  some fire brick,  a couple of pieces of flue pipe and Voila !  

The Akorn is about $290

14 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

So what your saying is I'm probably running my last standard propane grill cause that's not much more than I paid for the the one I have right now. :laffs:

Can’t say. Propane is convenient when you don’t want to mess with lump charcoal

Alsothe smoking stone ceramic plate is $45 extra for the AKorn. And you need that for smoking.

Edited by Sisco

8 minutes ago, DNP said:

I like to have a gas grill too. It helps and is just better for some things. Hot dogs are a waste of time in a smoker. I like the gas for searing as well. 

Always found most gas grills didn't get hot enough to properly sear. I like 600F,  even 700F to get a real sear. The new infrared ones get close though.

12 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I have the same issue, think I have only used one that did the job out how many I don't know.

The gas grill I have had the best luck with is the Char Griller Tru Infrared. Have their commercial model in Florida and it gets hotter then any other gas one I have had, maybe 450-500F. Nowhere near my Akorn with a full head of steam and both vents open. How is Kansas treating you Friend?