• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

hypothetical home defense question

stonegraham

So here is the situation. You are in your home, there has been some trouble with (insert name of group) and you hear someone trying hard to break into your home.

Handguns) Your rifles are downstairs but you have have several options in handguns....so which one and why?
All Guns) You have access to everything you own...(maybe your just finished cleaning them) Which one and why ?

Remember this is at home.
Also which ONE (1) first. 

I will play.  I would assume, since we get to insert the name of the group, that I would know whether to expect 2-4 (home invasion scenario) or 10+ (rioting or mostly peaceful demonstrations).

Handgun only:  I have 2 choices depending on number of potential intruders.  With a small number of intruders, I would pick up my S&W Governor.  It has 6 rounds of home defense 410 bore.  With a large number of intruders, I would pick up my FN FiveseveN.  It has up to 30 rounds of high speed 5.7x28 that does not over penatrate. 

Rifle option:. For me, there is little to discuss.  I would choose my AR57.  It is the same round as the FiveseveN but with a 50 round magazine.  It is light and there is little recoil.  Follow up shots are quick, even with a binary trigger installed.  I have several options of caliber in rifles, but most would be likely to go through any and everything in the house and beyond.

Since we’re hypothetical, I no longer live in a restricted state. Pistol choice would be whatever is closest.  Pistols suck. It would hopefully get me to my rifles downstairs. I prefer a single story home, but I’ll work with what I got. Rifle, I’d have my 45-70 lever with a suppressor on it. I want to hear still when this is over. I choose it because I’ve got 4000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. I don’t care if you were wearing a plate....you are neutralized if I do my job and land a round center mass. Seeing as I can do so at a distance, 10’ down the hallway should be achievable. 

4 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I will play.  I would assume, since we get to insert the name of the group, that I would know whether to expect 2-4 (home invasion scenario) or 10+ (rioting or mostly peaceful demonstrations).

Handgun only:  I have 2 choices depending on number of potential intruders.  With a small number of intruders, I would pick up my S&W Governor.  It has 6 rounds of home defense 410 bore.  With a large number of intruders, I would pick up my FN FiveseveN.  It has up to 30 rounds of high speed 5.7x28 that does not over penatrate. 

Rifle option:. For me, there is little to discuss.  I would choose my AR57.  It is the same round as the FiveseveN but with a 50 round magazine.  It is light and there is little recoil.  Follow up shots are quick, even with a binary trigger installed.  I have several options of caliber in rifles, but most would be likely to go through any and everything in the house and beyond.

And loud as hell.

id pick either my 375 socom or 10mm

the socom is subsonic and suppressed giving 357 mag energies but single stack ar mags are still pretty limited. The 10mm is a 10mm 1911 and also limited in round capacity.

High capacity (21-rd) mags in a 9mm with night sights and a light on it, loaded with some type of personal-protection ammo, with spare mags, right there beside the bed.  What ever pistol that's dependable, and that you shoot best - is the one for you.

Next - AR15 in .223/5.56, with a light on it and a red dot, 45-degree safety and Geissele Super 3-Gun trigger.  30-rd mag loaded with my Barnes 70TSX load.  2 more mags right there. 

That should handle any made-up home defense scenario, in my house.  After the first mag of anything, if there's more of them, the keys to open the safe are right there.  Every imaginable problem-solver is right on the other side of that door, loaded.

If I could play "what if", then I wouldn't HAVE to worry about things that might go bump in the night at my house, as I would have known things were going to happen before it gets to the house.

Now I get back to reality.......or how my mind works.

The same things that plan on using in reality.  These have been vetted as working all the time by/for me.  I have found by trial and error that what I dream is the best, usually isn't for me.

Handgun:  Canik TP9 SF Elite with Warren Tactical night sights

I live in a "slab on grade/patio house" so I don't worry about anything downstairs.  Just everything around me is what I worry about.  

Rifle:  AR15 with white light and night sights, magazines loaded with Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets ( I do care about my neighbors, I have to)

Shotty:  1300 Defender.  Old school, and still works every dam time I use it/need it.

dog alarms work wonders, so do house alarm. cams set up and target cards set for each corner of property. I center myself in my bunker and am close to armored vehicle in garage. no handle on the out side of my gate with a posted not welcome message, by my gf. she is the one you need to fear! I will save you from misery and end it quickly with any means necessary. good luck!