• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Accurized AR Match

98Z5V

June 26th, 2021.

Myself, @JBMatt and Dirtbike Tommy hit it up again.  Those two checked out the match in April, at the urging of Tommy's buddy, Dave.  We shot it last month for the first time, and it was good, and bad.  Lots to work on in 90 seconds per stage, over 5 stages, anywhere from 8 targets to 12 targets per stage.  Shortest targets are 200 yards, longest one they use is 710 yards.

This month, we did alot better, and @JBMatt cleaned the whole course!  He kicked MAJOR A$S this month!!!   It was a rough one this time, and I think it's a rough one every month, in one way or another.  Stg 1 was a motherfucker, but Matt and I both cleaned that one and maxed it out.  Everybody did better this month, Matt just killed it.  I ended up 14th out of 54 shooters, Matt was 5th, and I can't remember where Tommy ended up, but it was better than the first match, much better...

More details coming up later...

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

June 26th, 2021.

Myself, @JBMatt and Dirtbike Tommy hit it up again.  Those two checked out the match in April, at the urging of Tommy's buddy, Dave.  We shot it last month for the first time, and it was good, and bad.  Lots to work on in 90 seconds per stage, over 5 stages, anywhere from 8 targets to 12 targets per stage.  Shortest targets are 200 yards, longest one they use is 710 yards.

This month, we did alot better, and @JBMatt cleaned the whole course!  He kicked MAJOR A$S this month!!!   It was a rough one this time, and I think it's a rough one every month, in one way or another.  Stg 1 was a motherfucker, but Matt and I both cleaned that one and maxed it out.  Everybody did better this month, Matt just killed it.  I ended up 14th out of 54 shooters, Matt was 5th, and I can't remember where Tommy ended up, but it was better than the first match, much better...

More details coming up later...

Get it straight, boy.  I was 4th... :lmao:  :fullauto:

7 minutes ago, JBMatt said:

@98Z5V I didn't know you had a rifle that shot that good!  Pretty impressive, buddy.  For an old blind squirrel.

I have a pile of them that shoot that good, son!   I just gotta crank down that loose nut right behind the trigger, and it's ON!!!   :banana:

I honestly credit my performance to the extreme pre-shoot training regimen that you put me on the night before...

More coming up on THAT festivity later, Ladies and Gents...   :laffs::thumbup:

43 minutes ago, JBMatt said:

Quality training is key.  Trust me.  I'm a professional.  🍻:banana:

Oh, we got some quality training, that's for damn certain!   I think it was the hot blonde midget that put me over the top (more on that later, men...)...   :drool::hump::lmao:

I ended up with 41 hits out of 48 possible targets, so I went into the score tables to find out which stages I missed on, and by how many.  We signed up 4th Squad, started on Stg 4.

Stg 4 was 5 out of 8 - that stage sucked, too. 

Stg 5 was 7 out of 9, and they used the time on that one for the position tie-breaker.  I fired my last shot on that one at 88.04.

Stg 1 was 12 out of 12, and I was first up.  Used 12 rounds to do it, because if you missed, you started back at zero, and tgt 1, all over.  You get halfway through and miss one, and there was no hope at a good score on that one.  Since I was the first one up on that stg for our squad, it looked easy - but it wasn't.  The only other guy in our squad that did it was Matt.  Only 7 guys in the whole match cleaned it.  We'll definitely set something like that one up for the Fall Shoot, for certain.

Stg 2 was 9 out of 9, cleaned it.

Stg 3 was 8 out of 10.

The misses were just for timing out.  Don't transition fast enough - or the timer starts, and you get into position, and your damn scope caps are still closed, and cost you a couple seconds.  Yeah, that happened.  Twice.   :bitchslap:  Stupid little things cost time, when time is part of the game...

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Stg 1 was 12 out of 12, and I was first up.  Used 12 rounds to do it, because if you missed, you started back at zero, and tgt 1, all over.  You get halfway through and miss one, and there was no hope at a good score on that one.  Since I was the first one up on that stg for our squad, it looked easy - but it wasn't.  The only other guy in our squad that did it was Matt.  Only 7 guys in the whole match cleaned it.  We'll definitely set something like that one up for the Fall Shoot, for certain.

I have a game for us to play over at Poverty tank.  500, 850 and 1000.  And don't forget about Tic Tact Toe!

1 hour ago, JBMatt said:

I have a game for us to play over at Poverty tank.  500, 850 and 1000.  And don't forget about Tic Tact Toe!

I think we need to move the Tic Tact Toe out to the 600 for night shooting.  450 has become too easy...   :laffs:

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I think we need to move the Tic Tact Toe out to the 600 for night shooting.  450 has become too easy...   :laffs:

We need to bring it in to 50 yds and shoot it with pistols.  I'll make a new, smaller one for the 450.

Weird observation, but you "learn from watching..."   So, you watch everyone on your squad,  help point out all the targets that you have to shoot in that stage, at the beginning, call out the next target in the transition (like rotating transitions, shoot 1,2,3, then 2.,3,1, then 3,1,2, etc.).  But you pick things up from people, too, just by watching them shoot, or get ready, or whatever - You can learn good things, and you can also learn bad things, or things to avoid.  One thing I noticed was a guy in our squad, brought a couple boxes of ammo (50 rd boxes), and he had ONE mag.  He topped that mag off to 20 rounds right after firing, so it was ready for the next stage...

I didn't do that, and took a different approach, for a reason (to me).  Now hear me out, first...  

I took 5 20-rd Lancer translucent mags with me, in one mag pouch.  It's a SAW Drum mag pouch, so there's plenty of room in it.  All mags were loaded with 20 rounds, several days before.  All mags went into the pouch rounds-up.  As I shot a stage, I tried to get back as much of my LC brass as I could find, and the brass went into that pouch, and the mag went in there buttplate-up.  Next stage, if I saw a mag that was rounds up - it was good, with 20, and ready to go.  If I look in there and see the buttplate on a mag - it's already been shot, and it's not full with 20 rounds. 

At the end of the shoot, I had enough room in the SAW Drum pouch for all the brass I could recover, and the 5 20-rd mags still, side-by-side.

Now, when I come home, I can look at what I shot.  Here's what the mags would have looked like in the top of the pouch - if they were still full with 20, all the top rounds are on the right, but these are shot already, per stage:

IMG_0441.JPG.be9443a16a7dd92bbcb59fb77bef9904.JPG

Now, here's the ammo that I have left over, after the shoot:

IMG_0443.thumb.JPG.f98eb9988a04dec0cb91ab447ae3796e.JPG

Easy to see with the translucent Lancers.  Don't need 30s for this match, when every stage is 20 rounds, so the 20s are perfect for this.

I brought home 48 rounds.   That means I fired 52 times.  I had 41 hits.  That means I had a hit ratio of 78.8% for the day.  I'll take that, all day long, for 48 targets, at distances of 200~630 yards, changing all kinds of firing positions and firing orders, and a total of 7.5 minutes to fire it all.  That ain't bad at all. 

The only thing that I SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP...  was not numbering the mags 1~5,  and shooting that specific mag for that specific stage.  I don't know which one of those mags above was shot on what stage, no clue...   So, I learned something.  I'll number them for the next match.   :thumbup:

I know one of those with 8 rounds left was from stage 1, though.  That's the only one I cleaned, straight through.  Other than that, no idea...

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

You fellas did very well!

@JBMatt did very well.  VERY well.  Most of the time, I just got all nervous, closed my eyes, and started jerking the trigger until the buzzer went off and ended my misery.  True story.  :thumbup:

Matt ever tell his story here, of his shooting background?...   Just wondering, I don't think he has...  :popcorn:  I know this much - his "training program" works, and we tested it Friday night, before the shoot on Saturday morning...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

@JBMatt emailed the match-ninja coordinator, and asked about those little swinger-bastards that were in Stg 1.  The sizes biggest to smallest was 6", 5", 4", 3".  That little 3" at 200 yards, you needed to be on your game, for that little fucker.  Plus, pucker factor was up there, when you got to it...   "Do I do it, and risk it?  Or do I walk away with 9 points?!!?"    My gun was ON the money, so I didn't even think about it - shoot that little fucker.  I know Matt was the same mentality on that one.   

You were either ready to make "Hit #10 out of 12" - or you were going to ZERO POINTS if you fucked it up...  

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

My gun was ON the money, so I didn't even think about it - shoot that little fucker.  I know Matt was the same mentality on that one.   

Actually, I saw @98Z5V hit it and I thought, "Shiit, if he can hit it, it must not be as tough as it looks".  :lmao:  Failure never crossed my mind.  :thumbup:

6 hours ago, JBMatt said:

Actually, I saw @98Z5V hit it and I thought, "Shiit, if he can hit it, it must not be as tough as it looks".  :lmao:  Failure never crossed my mind.  :thumbup:

So, you're saying that you had doubts, until I layed down there and just smacked the shiit out of it...  :popcorn: Then you were okay with it...   :laffs: