• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the Forum from the Front Range of CO

308USK

Greetings everyone! 

I am by no means new to firearms!  Qualified rifle  (Expert) with an M-14 many many moons ago.  Also qualified (expert) with M16A2 and a lowly 1911.  (LOL)

Nowadays, I have a nice collection of pistols (Sig P366XL's, G22, G23, G43) and a few rifles (M4, Winchester lever-action 30-30, Remington 700).  My best friend has a really interesting LR-308 and i've been pondering building one of my own for a while now.

Earlier this morning, I purchased the lower, upper and barrel.  Will be procuring other parts as I find them (some are still in-research).  But, for now, here is my build list (minus scope...haven't figured out which scope I want yet):

image.thumb.png.072f9f2a5be0874bf22c99fe1587494c.png

Since this is my first "build" ... I am 100% open to suggestions, advice, etc.  Definitely want this to be a good long-range rifle.

- -
308USK (aka Pete)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. :thumbup:

In addition to the receiver extension that @shooterrex mentioned, you should also  change your gas tube to this.  There is a difference between 308ar and AR-15 gas tubes.  The AR-15 tube is too short and will not provide the proper amount of gas to cycle the rifle reliably.

33 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Welcome from KY. I would suggest this recoil system in place of what you have listed.

https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=AR10REKIT01&ReturnURL=/Armalite/Product-Category/AR10-Parts-Accessories/Lower-Receiver-Parts&Category=ac614400-ff09-4cdf-9d35-419a654e7201

Tried and true recoil parts that work.

Would I not want a Rifle length tube & buffer kit?  (again, my first build, so if this is an ignoramous question...be gentle [LMAO]).

Just now, 308USK said:

Would I not want a Rifle length tube & buffer kit?  (again, my first build, so if this is an ignoramous question...be gentle [LMAO]).

Not with the carbine stock you have chosen.  The carbine receiver extension (buffer tube) is dependent on the desire for an adjustable stock.  The rifle length gas tube is more of a function of the barrel length. Those terms are not dependent on each other.  The buffer mass must be balanced with the proper amount of gas to cycle the rifle. 

When you get your barrel, measure the gas port, preferably with numbered drill bits.  Don't assume that the port will be drilled to what they said it should be.  Many times they will be fine, but it is a very common area of malfunction.

15 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Not with the carbine stock you have chosen.  The carbine receiver extension (buffer tube) is dependent on the desire for an adjustable stock.  The rifle length gas tube is more of a function of the barrel length. Those terms are not dependent on each other.  The buffer mass must be balanced with the proper amount of gas to cycle the rifle. 

When you get your barrel, measure the gas port, preferably with numbered drill bits.  Don't assume that the port will be drilled to what they said it should be.  Many times they will be fine, but it is a very common area of malfunction.

Okay, that helps.  :).  I have this Aero Precision barrel en route: Aero Precision 18 Inch .308 CMV Barrel 1:10 Twist Rifle Length Gas 5/8×24 DPMS LR308 Pattern QPQ Corrosion Resistant Nitride.  

Also, I am still pondering 'which' stock to purchase...accuracy for long range, but still have portability as much as possible.

Edited by 308USK

6 minutes ago, 308USK said:

Also, I am still pondering 'which' stock to purchase...accuracy for long range, but still have portability as much as possible.

Armalite also makes a fine rifle receiver extension.  If you get a carbine stock and extension, make sure to get a commercial stock and not a milspec stock.  The internal diameter is slightly different.  They will look the same externally.

Just now, Armed Eye Doc said:

Armalite also makes a fine rifle receiver extension.  If you get a carbine stock and extension, make sure to get a commercial stock and not a milspec stock.  The internal diameter is slightly different.  They will look the same externally.

:) Guess I have to figure out if I want collapsible or not (I'm assuming a rifle extension will equate to fixed stock).   Options a-plenty!  LOL

1 minute ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

The fortunate side effect of buying things you don't use is those parts are the beginning of the next build.:lmao:

LOL  yeah my brother has amassed a rather large collection...after building up a few M4 SBR's, a couple 300BO's and his 'tactical' 308!

I have 2nd AP M5 lower/upper combo that I might pickup (just have to pay for it from seller on GunBroker.com) ... who knows.  Guess I should focus on THIS build first (rotf)!!!

Latest list after some modifications thanks to the excellent suggestions/advice from y'all (may be incomplete...):

Admins, if this thread should be moved to the build section, please move as appropriate.

image.thumb.png.e695b419f3bbdb4b722cda1fba3a9e9a.png

Edited by 308USK
message to admins, for appropriateness.

2 hours ago, 308USK said:

You had a carbine stock listed. That's why I suggested the carbine buffer set up from Armalite. They just work. A 308 rifle length gas tube is longer than an AR-15 rifle length gas tube.

Nothing is milspec about the larger frame guns.

There are tons of threads here proving this with builds not working till parts are changed so everything works together.

Unless you are going to suppress the rifle you don't really need the adjustable gas block either.

Building these large frame guns is fun but there is a learning curve.

9 hours ago, shooterrex said:

You had a carbine stock listed. That's why I suggested the carbine buffer set up from Armalite. They just work. A 308 rifle length gas tube is longer than an AR-15 rifle length gas tube.

Nothing is milspec about the larger frame guns.

There are tons of threads here proving this with builds not working till parts are changed so everything works together.

Unless you are going to suppress the rifle you don't really need the adjustable gas block either.

Building these large frame guns is fun but there is a learning curve.

Thanks!  I had a blond moment (lol) ...

As for the adjustable gas block, that is intentional as I do plan to suppress.  Learning curve?  Oh crap...my noggin might be headed for trouble.  :P 

15 hours ago, 308USK said:

I have this Aero Precision barrel en route: Aero Precision 18 Inch .308 CMV Barrel 1:10 Twist Rifle Length Gas 5/8×24 DPMS LR308 Pattern QPQ Corrosion Resistant Nitride.  

Measure the gas port diameter when the barrel arrives.  Gas port diameter for that configuration should be 0.093"~0.096".  If it's smaller than that, drill it up to something in that range before you ever install it.   :thumbup:

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Measure the gas port diameter when the barrel arrives.  Gas port diameter for that configuration should be 0.093"~0.096".  If it's smaller than that, drill it up to something in that range before you ever install it.   :thumbup:

Can do...