• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Went trap shooting

Cunuckgaucho

So Sunday one of my ranges had a come out and try trap day. Now I've shot clays in the back 40 but I'm not what you'd call a shotgun guy, this was definitely a new experience for me. 

I got a better understanding of how it works, what works and shooting from five positions. 

First thing I quickly learned was a 870 truck /bear country gun is not ideal as my early scores showed. I was given a BT-99 to use and once I stopped lifting my head when pulling the trigger there was a noticeable improvement. It gets pretty addictive, fortunately #8 shot is way cheaper the shooting slugs

Had the most fun with what's called the wobble trap, rather then lunching in a set pattern they can come out in a number of ways. 

2 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Cheer's brother 🍻 how is shotty ammo, price and availability?

Availability is pretty good up here and for #8 for trap it runs about 35cents Canadian per I'm sure with a bit of looking and bulk buying get it down to 30-32cents per. 

32 cents Can = 26 cents US

You want a humbling shotgun experience…find somewhere to shoot sporting clays. It’s a lot of fun. I forget how many stations there were on the one by us. Something like 18. At each station you load 2 or 3 rounds. They launch all different types of birds (clays) some go straight up, they have rabbits that bounce along the ground. Sometimes they launch a rabbit and a bird at the same time. I think there was a possible 55 points. I think I got 10. Wobble is fun for trap. Had a buddy that would shoot with us and use his 500 with a pistol grip stock…he was competitive. I have never been very good, but I have fun and that’s all I care. 

26 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

...watch @JBMatt shoot a shotgun.  That man is a machine.

That's a product of every day being a Saturday for the majority of my 20's and into my 30's.  Good times!  With almost 500,000 rounds through one shotgun, I'd certainly hope I picked something up along the way!  :fullauto:

5 hours ago, DNP said:

He’s a machine with everything. Makes the rest of us look like a bunch of tools. 

That's the truth, and I've narrowed it down.  It's "perfection of a craft" right there.

4 hours ago, JBMatt said:

That's a product of every day being a Saturday for the majority of my 20's and into my 30's.  Good times!  With almost 500,000 rounds through one shotgun, I'd certainly hope I picked something up along the way!  :fullauto:

With half-a-million rounds through one shotgun...   it all comes down to ONE THING.  And it's simple, and it's PERFECTED...

His "Flash-to-Bang" Time cannot be rivaled.  Doesn't really matter what gun you put in his hands - that jackass - he'll shoot your own gun better than you do, even if you grew up with it...  :laffs:

If you walk onto a rifle range with him, he's gonna kick your ass with a wrist-rocket.

That's how it's gonna go.  Period. 

Here's what you need to learn, just to deal with that...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/407d32bf-9ebc-45fc-94b9-a965f3a8786e

Edited by 98Z5V

A while ago a buddy invited me out to shoot clays.  He laughed at me when I asked if I could come out with my Mossberg 590 tactical and I decided it was not the time.  I just came into an over/under 12.  Well - it's not mine - it belongs to a friend of my pops - who is in his late 80s and has dementia - and they called me and asked me to store his guns "for a while" to get them out of their home.   They told me to feel free to shoot them.   Found the 12 gauge in a bottom dresser drawer loaded with 3-1/2" high brass goose rounds.  At some point I'll get out there and kill some clays... 

22 hours ago, DNP said:

You want a humbling shotgun experience…find somewhere to shoot sporting clays. It’s a lot of fun. I forget how many stations there were on the one by us. Something like 18. At each station you load 2 or 3 rounds. They launch all different types of birds (clays) some go straight up, they have rabbits that bounce along the ground. Sometimes they launch a rabbit and a bird at the same time. I think there was a possible 55 points. I think I got 10. Wobble is fun for trap. Had a buddy that would shoot with us and use his 500 with a pistol grip stock…he was competitive. I have never been very good, but I have fun and that’s all I care. 

I've never got to shoot sporting clays but my USPSA shooting buddies who have describe it as "action pistol with a shotgun"! Sounds like something I want to try sometime.:thumbup:

30 minutes ago, DNP said:

It’s a lot of fun. Would be even better if I could shoot worth a crap. 

I never have got to do anything official, only 100 rounds shot at a clay from a mounted on the ground thrower, 25 rounds a year for high school gym class. Now I flat wore out a Mossberg 500 shooting hand thrown clays with my buddies, sporting clays sounds a lot like what we were doing, working on those shots we needed for hunting.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:14 PM, 392heminut said:

I've never got to shoot sporting clays but my USPSA shooting buddies who have describe it as "action pistol with a shotgun"! Sounds like something I want to try sometime.:thumbup:

Try wobble trap, regular trap you know how clay will fly. In wobble the clay comes out in virtually any downrange direction and angle of elevation so a better test of reflexes and getting on target quickly