• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

So What's Your Go-to-Caliber for SHTF?

Sharpshooter

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear Creek makes some good stuff and some not so good stuff. I have sent back 2 barrels that wouldn't shoot decent groups. They did replace them with better barrels. I bought a Creedmoor upper that had an AR-15 rifle gas tube on place of a 308gas tube. The gas block was also hitting the inside of the rail and accuracy suffered. I replaced the barrel w/a Wilson barrel and gas tube and now that gun shoots well. I took the heavy barrel and put it in another upper w/the proper gas tube and it is doing ok so far. I have also purchased complete uppers that ran and shot just fine. I will keep buying from them because of price but I expect a problem every now and then. They do fix the problems if you give them a chance. BTW the heavy barrel Creedmoor upper was only $339.00 so the rail, BCG, and upper were worth that without counting the barrel.

I am considering one of their 50 Beowulf pistol upper to go with my rifle.

If not for Availability, I would go .243. I have personally seen a small fox as well as a mature bull elk both taken with the caliber. can be put into an AR format so with enough ammo it could run anything from hunting, to self defense, long range and short range. large variety of bullets as well, there are small varmint loads that straight up zip, as well as some seriously heavy soft tips that would kill anything if hit in vitals. there are a couple of "hot loads" that would give 25-06 factory loads a run for their money, and a few developments in subsonic loads if you wanna keep things stealthy. Only restriction IMO would be (as stated before) availability, as well as inability to kill small game and birds.... you can always purchase a $30 .22 rifle at your local yard sale if that is a problem

The go to caliber could change with the times, right now i think it would have to be something plentiful or something you have a crap load of already.

For me it would have to be a 308, a 22 rifle and a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. Maybe a crossbow for when things need to be quiet.

The odd calibers like the 6.5's would be nice as i really like them but ammo is not plentiful and it is much more expensive.

Ok, my mindset on the subject got me to retool my collection down to certain rounds for good and no reasons.  I bought a Ruger Mini 30 and went over it to correct its problems. It now shoots very well. I figured since SHTF is an eventual reality I would let the enemy resupply me with ammo, hence 7.62x39. I have a Mossberg 500 in 12GA, 3 9mm pistols, a Kahr CM-9 and a Taurus G3C T.O.R.O. which shoot anything I feed them and one that only eats 9mm FMJ. That one is my Walther P-38. I also have 22LR semi with a tubular magazine, a Beretta 70S in 22LR and lastly an AMT Hardballer in 45 ACP. Oh and a DPMS LR-308/AR-10 that I traded an old rusted out Jeep Cherokee for about a week ago. I just fired it for first time today. It has issues that I will have to learn some magic to solve.

2 hours ago, ZeroTurnZed said:

Ok, my mindset on the subject got me to retool my collection down to certain rounds for good and no reasons.  I bought a Ruger Mini 30 and went over it to correct its problems. It now shoots very well. I figured since SHTF is an eventual reality I would let the enemy resupply me with ammo, hence 7.62x39. I have a Mossberg 500 in 12GA, 3 9mm pistols, a Kahr CM-9 and a Taurus G3C T.O.R.O. which shoot anything I feed them and one that only eats 9mm FMJ. That one is my Walther P-38. I also have 22LR semi with a tubular magazine, a Beretta 70S in 22LR and lastly an AMT Hardballer in 45 ACP. Oh and a DPMS LR-308/AR-10 that I traded an old rusted out Jeep Cherokee for about a week ago. I just fired it for first time today. It has issues that I will have to learn some magic to solve.

What's your goal, and what are you looking for?  End of the world ammo and guns?