• Visit Sportsmans Guide

So What's Your Go-to-Caliber for SHTF?

Sharpshooter

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"my age that happens a lot."

I've developed two things in recent years, and man do both of them make life a LOT easier.  First I developed CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t), then more recently I developed an even WORSE case of DGS (Don't Give a Sh*t).

Now, no matter what happens every thing is fine at the end of the day and I sleep like a baby!.......LOL....

Edited by Cliff R

For a rifle I'll take the .308. I've shot it in a bolt action hunting rifle for a while now and bought the ar just for this purpose.

But I'm not sure how much ammo of any kind you will find if shtf as even after covid all ammo disappeared and if you did find something it was an oddball like .300 savage or 35 whelen.  So having a variety might just be the smartest choice of all.

11 hours ago, shaffe48 said:

But I'm not sure how much ammo of any kind you will find if shtf as even after covid all ammo disappeared and if you did find something it was an oddball like .300 savage or 35 whelen.  So having a variety might just be the smartest choice of all.

That's why I have 12 different calibers for ARs. Might be 13 now, have to go back through the list again, with semi-annual inventory coming up fast...   Then pistols, then bolt guns, then shotguns...  

I'll find something that I can shoot, somewhere in that hardware pile...  :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, sketch said:

I will have the biggest  unobtainable mfer. Some day!! 🍻🍻🇺🇸

I'm fighting with the ammo for it right now.  Just had to buy a Hornady 50 BMG press, just to load this stuff up. That's not a cheap press.  Only 2 companies make (made) one, and RCBS discontinued the one that they made, BITD.  Finding this fucker was no easy task. With that in mind - when you find it - you pay what they're asking for it, when they have it in stock.  FML.

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm fighting with the ammo for it right now.  Just had to buy a Hornady 50 BMG press, just to load this stuff up. That's not a cheap press.  Only 2 companies make (made) one, and RCBS discontinued the one that they made, BITD.  Finding this fucker was no easy task. With that in mind - when you find it - you pay what they're asking for it, when they have it in stock.  FML.

Grassy ass!🍻🍻🇺🇸

On 9/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, shaffe48 said:

That is my reasoning behind choosing .308 / 7.62X51 as my "if you can only take one..." cartridge.   5.56X45, 7.62X51 are probably the most plentiful rifle cartridges in the western world...   If you are scrounging / bartering for rounds - you'll be more likely to find these than others.  Given that there are a lot more folks who will be competing for the 5.56...  and that IMHO the 7.62 is a much more versatile cartridge - I choose 7.62... 🙂

I have to admit - when I see the odd-ball cartridge on the shelf at Walmart (they've had something - I think maybe .350 win - through the entire ammo crisis) I've thought about buying it, and buying a gun that chambers it.  However, I already have a few of those sorts of things that I could probably find ammo for if I wanted...  thinking .303 British for the Lee Enfield... 

Just my two cents. 

12 minutes ago, Sisco said:

The moral of the story: When you buy a gun, mentally double the price, and use the extra money to purchase ammo for it right away. Then replace what you shoot religiously.

Great advice... although I'd say "multiply by 2.25" then, buy the gun, buy a gun's worth of ammo, and bank 1/4 of a gun's worth of money towards the next gun safe... 😁

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

Safe or sale? Either way nota bad idea.👍🏻

Yes

😁

Although when I wrote it I did mean "safe" - in that when you run out of room in the current safe it could potentially stifle good gun purchasing habits... while you save up for a new safe... 

Edited by BigNate

A while back I did some caliber consolidation, sold weapons and ammo of the lesser-needed varieties and kept mostly only what I consider to be in my primary weapons systems.  I eliminated .40 S&W (ammo and four pistols), 7.62x39 (ammo and one rifle), 4.6x30 (ammo and one rifle), others that I can't even remember.

But back to the original question, if the world went to smoldering shit and I would be doing one-day scouting trips, I would probably bring 5.7x28mm along - I'd have my PS90, Five-seveN, and shorty AR, and a bunch of rounds.  But if I were busting out with a doubt as to whether I'd ever make it back to home, it would be my standards of 22lr, 9mm, 45ACP and 5.56.