• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Are you aware of an AR308 rifle (the new generation that uses as much AR15 hardware as possible) being made now? Like the Remington R10, DMPS, PSA X version.

Bob Schulze

You're forgiven. Are you aware of an AR308 rifle (the new generation that uses as much AR15 hardware as possible) being made now? Like the Remington R10, DPMS, PSA X version??

I had an Anderson AR308 and it was too heavy, had an odd trigger guard,  lacked a forward assist, and lacked a port cover. I'm interested in  an authentic AR15 style 308 that is lighter, has authentic styling, and  is cost effective similar to the above brands. Sure it will kick more.

Thank you

POF makes some relatively light complete 308ARs.  But they are not cheap and a lot of the hardware is proprietary.  The engineering is impressive, but I'm a bit unsure what the customer service experience is now like since the founder Frank DeSomma died in 2020.

22 hours ago, Magwa said:

308 AR and Light weight are words that do not go together not going to happen.....you can shave a bit here and there but it will still end up in the 9 to 10 lb range with scope and ammo....

Not true. What happened to that guy @washguy had a hardon for?  The 4lb 308?

yeah where is that guy...... all i can say from my small amount of life experience with one of these weapons is I have humped one for many many miles in pretty tough country they are heavy but the advantages have been up to now worth it . You can't hurt them ,they do not scratch, rust, get home take a air compressor blow em off and out and good to go. unlike some female cat wood gun you have to baby and watch out for and in constant rain it swells up and the finish gets screwed up Nope I like my 308AR heavy just like it is...

• 2 weeks later...

+2, 3 and 4!

We camp at 9600' and hunt clear up past 12,000'.  It's public hunting ground so you have to hike in at least a mile from a main road if you want to have the slightest chance of seeing a Bull Elk.  I moved to the 308-AR platform for exactly the reasons above.  They will take a beating, get pounded with rain and snow all day long, and laugh at it, especially if you opt for the chrome lined barrel option.  I don't do much to mine all week long other than wiping it off after I trip and fall on it and drive it into some hard packed snow.  

As for weight, mine tops the scales at 10 pounds (less mag) with a 14.7" light weight profile barrel......

IMG_3438.JPG

Edited by Cliff R