• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy: Smitty2

smitty2

Hi,

I don't know much about AR's but I did use m16 in  the military in the 1970's. So I can take one apart and clean it and shoot it ok. These had the 20" barrels and the triangular hand gaurds. I've got a couple of Gorilla Machining DPMS 80% upper and lowers. I've got one 80% 6.5 Creedmore barrel a 20" from Gorilla, and have some lower parts kits from there too. I definitely want a .308 too, another 20" (or possibly longer I'm not sure yet) I've heard that the 5.56 NATO was designed for a 20" barrel, but I don't know what the best all round length is for the .308 (or 6.5 Creedmore either, but I've already got that barrel)

I'm looking to build 2 large frame AR rifles, DPMS type, with an eye to a minute of angle (although better would be better of course!) although that's probably a little beyond my shooting skills at my age. I'm looking for the best 'bang' for the buck, and know I want good barrels at least. I'm not interested in making (necessarily) the cheapest ar308, and I want something that can be relied on. I'll be lurking here and looking for advice but I won't be asking for advice as much as I will just be lurking and trying to learn. Before asking many questions I'll look at your various boards and try to see how you 'run' this place.

Anyway, good to be here!

Smitty2